Home

EA Sports and the NFL "Still Have a Number of Years" on License

This is a discussion on EA Sports and the NFL "Still Have a Number of Years" on License within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports and the NFL "Still Have a Number of Years" on License

It may have to do with what companies are in a position to develop moreso than it has to do with the market itself.

In my opinion, I just feel like every company besides Midway overall (although they made a few missteps, too, especially with BTL 2) that put out an non-NFL football game post-exclusive took the wrong approach and essentially gave gamers something different than what they were asking for. I base that on comparing what people were asking 2K and NM to do with their games pre-release, and then looking at what 2K and NM gave us instead, and there are big fundamental differences between the two. I'll even throw Tecmo into that one because it was somewhat the same situation. It was almost like nobody on those dev teams were listening to the fans, and well, they paid the price in sales for that.

Baseball did have that partial exclusive, but I think most would agree that The Show even on a single console ran MLB 2K out of the park.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #74
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Sim just posted this video in the Other section.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #75
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
KJ, it's just not all about the agreement, though, either. Look at hockey, no exclusive. Sure, there was an exclusive for baseball, but a partial agreement and 2k has bowed out.

There used to be two golf games, now there is only one. No exclusives there.

Guess what I'm asking is, will the market support more than 2 sports games in one market.

Looking at things today, I don't think so. And I'm talking about 3 or 4 sports games the way is was with baseball and football from a decade ago or more.
I believe 3 football games could be profitable right now. Madden and 2k could both sell at least a million copies and probably much more. I think an NFL tecmo psn game could do well too.

This is NFL football, the other major sports combined can't match it's fanbase. But NFL is the keyword.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #76
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I believe 3 football games could be profitable right now. Madden and 2k could both sell at least a million copies and probably much more. I think an NFL tecmo psn game could do well too.This is NFL football, the other major sports combined can't match it's fanbase. But NFL is the keyword.
I guess I'm not as optimistic as you are looking what we have out today. I just don't feel more than three can survive. The better one obliterates the the other two and there is only one again.

Back to square 1.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #77
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

I don't know about three or more like you're talking road, but two titles for each sport could certainly survive. You're mixing up your words or something. The market could sustain these games but the effort has to be there from the developers. Three NBA games could be on the market right now. 2K is "obliterating" the competition because of the competition's own ineptitude, not because the market can't sustain one or two more entries. The market can most certainly hold multiple games, but they need honest, full efforts from the game makers first.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #78
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

King, I'm not saying two couldn't survive.

All I'm saying I don't see any 3 or more sport video games out in the market like we did a decade or more ago.

To me, that tells me that market has changed.

What has been happening in the last decade, despite the competition, one game becomes more dominate and sells more than the others and after awhile, there is only one game left standing.

Take baseball for instance. The game is only made on one console now. So, in order for someone to play a SIM MLB game, if you don't have a PS, you need to plunk $500 down to play a baseball game?

Doesn't seem right.

Just like it's not right to only be forced to play one NFL football game.

Last edited by roadman; 01-30-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #79
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:

Doesn't seem right.
Yep, it's not. It's a mess. The Baseball exclusive certainly didn't help matters either. But MLB 2K became a disaster and helped kill itself.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #80
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
King, I'm not saying two couldn't survive.

All I'm saying I don't see any 3 or more sport video games out in the market like we did a decade or more ago.

To me, that tells me that market has changed.

What has been happening in the last decade, despite the competition, one game becomes more dominate and sells more than the others and after awhile, there is only one game left standing.

Take baseball for instance. The game is only made on one console now. So, in order for someone to play a SIM MLB game, if you don't have a PS, you need to plunk $500 down to play a baseball game?

Doesn't seem right.

Just like it's not right to only be forced to play one NFL football game.
Id just point out that you may be right, but why does EA continue to pay a premium for exclusive then? Madden has name recognition, a large fan base in place and a 9 year head start on development. It should easily dominate the market and be the last game left as you say.

If EA and the NFL agreement is still exclusive, it's because there is a market for more games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »