Home

Seahawks Scheme

This is a discussion on Seahawks Scheme within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Seahawks Scheme

With all this talk of the Seahawks being one of the greatest defenses ever, i have two questions:

1) With the NFL being the copy cat league that it is, do you think that other teams are going to start running Pete Carroll's "Leo"

2) That being said, do you think Madden will add the Leo Defense scheme to the next Madden game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Seahawks Scheme

1) it's been around for a long time already not like it is some new fangled method. If it spreads it's going to be more due to the Seahawks success and their defensive coaches being taken by other teams. Gus Bradley last year--if the Seahawks didn't win the SB, their current DC, Dan (I think) Quinn would be applying the system already to whatever team he was picked up by. Off course, defensive formations in real life are way more fluid than they are in madden--a bunch of teams run defenses that are fundamentally the same as the Seahawks defense. Personnel-wise, the Seahawks are just ahead of the curve--there has been an ever growing demand for tall and strong secondary players to cope with big and strong receivers and tweener TE/WRs.

The true impact of the Seahawks success is really a blue print for general team success--putting together a really strong defense and a really strong run game and drafting a QB so you actually have the money to put a great team together. Expect the road to get way more difficult once Wilson is getting paid. He occupies less than 1 million of their cap space. He has already put him into top 5 QB territory at least in terms of compensation so they are looking at a 20-25 mil contract pretty soon--no money to bring in Cliff Avril or Michael Bennet on a loan. Sherman is going to be getting paid, Wagner is going to be getting paid. Unless the Seahawks FO can keep hitting the late round, undrafted jack pot for years to come, the Seahawks championship window has about one year left until they have to readjust. Remember it is always more than just Xs and Os that ultimately win titles. Without a good job from top to bottom you aren't using Xs and Os in February.

2) the main problem IMO with putting the intricacies of the Seahawks defense or any defense for that matter into Madden is that to code players to do simple things is difficult for them. Trying to get them to play man and zone properly is hard enough. Getting them to play man-zones and act with agency (as that is what really makes Richard Sherman so good--his football intelligence) is pretty difficult. As I said, you can run the plays that the Seahawks run (kinda) and set your defense to play exactly like that through play calling, your defenders simply cannot execute the defense.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Just started!

It was interesting they said on the Radio that when the Giants won the SB in '08, they ran their infamous NASCAR package on 3rd (4 of their fastest pass rushers on the line of scrimmage), soon after many teams followed suit and began paying out for pass rushers. I can see many teams are already looking to bring in bigger players to play Strong Safety and Corner. Watching how much of an impact Kam Chancellor has on the field, really invokes a need for LB sized strong safety. Then the template with corners would be tall physical corners that can tackle, jump, force turnovers (via hard hits etc.) My guess is that the buzz at the combine and/or draft is spotlighting the athletic and physical players. However the Seahawks don't turn out Kam Chancellor types because of their system. Kam, Sherm, Earl are all unique players that specifically and fortunately fit the Seahawks defensive philosophy.

As for Madden, who knows? lol
Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger378
It was interesting they said on the Radio that when the Giants won the SB in '08, they ran their infamous NASCAR package on 3rd (4 of their fastest pass rushers on the line of scrimmage), soon after many teams followed suit and began paying out for pass rushers. I can see many teams are already looking to bring in bigger players to play Strong Safety and Corner. Watching how much of an impact Kam Chancellor has on the field, really invokes a need for LB sized strong safety. Then the template with corners would be tall physical corners that can tackle, jump, force turnovers (via hard hits etc.) My guess is that the buzz at the combine and/or draft is spotlighting the athletic and physical players. However the Seahawks don't turn out Kam Chancellor types because of their system. Kam, Sherm, Earl are all unique players that specifically and fortunately fit the Seahawks defensive philosophy.

As for Madden, who knows? lol
I wasn't really referring to the size of the players, although I'm sure more teams will be looking for larger defensive backs in the coming seasons. What I was referring to in terms of their scheme is the Leo Defense. From what I understand, it combines elements of the 3-4 and 4-3 where they utilize a larger, defensive tackle- like defensive end on the strong side and utilize a "Leo" linebacker on the weak side along with the defensive end. The Leo is built like a 3-4 OLB and can play with his hand on the ground or standing up. But now that I think about it, it's kind of complicated and I seriously doubt that the people who make Madden would be able to incorporate it into the game correctly or effectively because they don't really use gap assignments and it would be difficult for the average Madden player to understand it. I barely understood it when I read about it LOL
Old 02-07-2014, 02:51 AM   #5
Rookie

westwood's Arena

OVR: 3

its really not that complicated. they just use 3-4 style gap assignments from a 4-3 scheme. they use 3-4 personnel for the most part. 3 3-4 style lineman anchored on the left with a 3-4 style OLB playing the "leo" or RE spot. very athletic linebackers and safeties and big man to man specialized corners.

earl thomas is what makes it all go, he's got range like ed reed had in his prime and lets them get away with playing chancellor down in the box as much as they do.

madden doesnt really do gap assignments though. its why most people prefer the 4-3 ingame as the 3-4 doesnt really work as its supposed due to the lack of gap logic in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwood
its really not that complicated. they just use 3-4 style gap assignments from a 4-3 scheme. they use 3-4 personnel for the most part. 3 3-4 style lineman anchored on the left with a 3-4 style OLB playing the "leo" or RE spot.
I run this concept and I didnt even know this was a called a LEO scheme but ya my left side is made up of 3-4 anchor linemen and I use Tamba Hali as the RDE.

I recenyly won the superbowl using this scheme in Madden Ultimate team.

I do this out of a 3-4 Over look with the LEO and 3 3/4 type linemen filling out the rest of the line.

Texans Playbook seems to utilize Whitney Mercellius in this way.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Pro

RonMexico1992's Arena

Bra what defense are you talking about? the same defense thaat the best defenses have been running since the 70s?

Seattle plays same concept as all the best defenses with top athletes. Apply pressure to QB & lock up the goes on the outside man to man.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #8
Banned

It's not that complicated bro lol

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »