Home

Looking for defensive advice

This is a discussion on Looking for defensive advice within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
Looking for defensive advice

I posted this in the CFM thread, but it's not specific to a CFM and I might get more responses here.

I'm really struggling on defense right now and I'm wondering if anyone has some advice for me so I can step my game up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
My win streak, going back to last season, was ended in week 2 of season 3 at 16 games.

I lost to the Detroit Lions, my first loss since Week 4 of season 2. And while that's a pretty good run, I feel this loss has some pretty big implications for me.

In fact, if anyone is reading this, perhaps I can get some advice.

My offense right now is on point. I put up 49 points on the Lions, and it wasn't even really a struggle to do so. For 2 seasons running I've had the #1 offense, and it seems going into this season that I again will have a top offense.

The problem isn't my offense. It's my defense.

In season 1, I went 9-7 and barely made playoffs (I shouldn't have if tiebreakers were handled correctly) because of my defense. However, in season 2, I locked down my opponents and went 14-2 and won my league's Super Bowl because my defense stepped up.

Two major problems: I lost Aldon Smith to free agency, and Charles Tillman retired.

I know those were 2 top guys - 99 and 95 OVR respectively - but with a defense that still includes Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks, Tarell Brown, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Eric Reid, and Donte Whitner, I feel like I should still at least have a competent defense. But that is not the case.

I lost those 2 guys, and it feels like it made the other 9 guys on my defense garbage.

Granted, with my Billion Dollar Secondary (Charles Tillman - 95, Tarell Brown - 91, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - 83 w/ 98 speed, 97 acc, and 90+ man, and Carlos Rogers - 90) I was able to put my guys in man press coverage, and with Aldon Smith, the pass rush didn't need blitzers to get pressure.

Now, my secondary isn't as great as it was last season, but it's still good:

Tarell Brown - 91
Chris Culliver - 85
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - 87
Corey Webster - 85

All of these guys have 90+ man coverage, except for Webster who is 87, and all have 90 press coverage, except DRC who is 55 (and plays the slot, so he doesn't typically get hurt in press)

However, in 2 games, playing my man press single safety deep coverage which carried me to a Super Bowl, I've now given up 37 and 50 points respectively, essentially not getting a single stop in 2 games. I did get one user pick in week 2, but that's been my only stop.

In 2 games, I've also given up 10 passing TD's. 5 to Geno Smith, and 5 to Matt Stafford.

Darius Fleming - 73 has replaced Aldon Smith in the pass rush, and ironically enough has my single sack of the season so far. Nobody from Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, or Ahmad Brooks who typically rack up sacks have any, and my secondary can't cover for any amount of time to make a stop.

Am I playing bad coverage? Am I making bad defensive calls? Or is Madden this year designed in such a way that you literally need to overload your defense with 95's and 99's OVR's just to be halfway competent?

Do I need to fire back with more blitzes? Is it just a case of facing off against Calvin Johnson? What can be done to help this defense? Because if my defense continues playing as it has been, it doesn't matter how dominate my offense is, I won't win many games, I won't make playoffs, and I certainly won't make another Super Bowl run.

My defensive personnel (keep in mind I am in season 3 so some ratings have gone up or down from what they would normally be)

RE - Justin Smith
DT - Darnell Dockett
LE - Ray McDonald
ROLB - Darius Fleming
MLB - Patrick Willis
MLB - Navorro Bowman
LOLB - Ahmad Brooks
CB - Tarell Brown
CB - Chris Culliver
(Nickel Back - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie)*
FS - Eric Reid
SS - Donte Whitner

*listed my nickel corner because, at least last season, my base package was a 2-4-5 nickel formation

P.S.: I am also working on a trade that would bring in CB - Leodis McKelvin. I should have him by week 3. I believe he will be taking the #2 CB spot from Chris Culliver.

Anyone in this thread that may have some tips for me? I am playing in a 32 man league, so this will be against human competition.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Looking for defensive advice

Really it depends on what schemes you're running, the defensive playbook you're using (I assume the niners), and also having the right personnel. I looked briefly at your personnel, but it sounds like you're getting burned on receivers getting open and not getting the right pressure and containment. What's worked for me is this, I run an Attacking 3-4 scheme with a custom playbook. On my D-Line I look for physically strong d-tackles with 90+STR, and good block shedding 80+ common, 90+ ideal (Dontari Poe, Gerald McCoy, Geno Atkinds, etc.). My ends are speed rushers, I'm in a fantasy online CCM, but my ends have at least 85 speed (Margus Hunt, Dontay Moch, Dion Jordan, Cameron Wake, Bruce Irvin, Cornelius Washington, etc.) These guys are strong enough and fast enough to collapse the pocket. Line backers I typically go for guys with good speed and physical stats. Stopping the Run and Protecting the middle is vital so having fast LB's is imperative. My middle line back typically needs high awareness and zone coverage. So using a Patrick Willis, Bobby Wagner, or Luke Kuechly sound like ideal Mikes. Outside linebackers at least in a 3-4 scheme need both be able to rush the passer, cover the flat, and stop outside runs. Aldon Smith is a perfect OLB for that purpose. In the game I've had good experiences with guys like Bruce Carter, Zaviar Gooden, Jacquin Williams, KJ Wright. They have all good speed, tackling, and coverage ratings. My secondary is a work in progress but Speed and Awareness are pretty key. Low awareness for your safeties can be detrimental to coverage. Now for my play calling, I tend to keep it somewhat simple. I always start the first play with 2-man under either in Nickel or 3-4. Once I get a feel for how the opposing offense is working, I tailolr my play calling around that. I get geeky about it, but I actually take notes of what plays the offense is making and what formations they're using. If I feel they have more success with passing, I will stick to two-man under or cover 3 in Nickel or Dime sets. I sometimes use Dime more often because I like having more DBs out there to get a corner or safety on the T.E. However, the risk is greater because of less linebackers utilized in stopping the run in Dime. Your corners will get chewed up in the blocking. If the run is getting more success, you will have to really look at what times the run is being utilized. Draws, Screens, and the Option can be frustrating because there isn't a straightforward way to deal with it other than knowing how to adjust for it. 3-4 is a great formation for annihilating the outside run as well as the 4-4. Bear 4-6 Under has it uses if you're getting burned on downhill running. Ideally I have to say this, if you're defense isn't performing well you should take a look at the players that compose the defense see if they have the physical traits you need, then analyze your play calling and start noting what does work in what situations. And also calling blitzes constantly will only wear out your defense, blitzing has its place in 3rd down situations and other aspects of the game. You will figure it out. Hope this helped. Oh and Go Hawks.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Rookie

Are you playing the games?? Or is this sim?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 11

Playing.

And to the first response, thanks. I'm gonna take a second look at your post when I get homr and read it more carefully, but yea I am running mostly the 49ers defensive playbook with some custom plays as Well, and yes I'm struggling in pass coverage and pass rush, something I didn't struggle with previously.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Pro

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your problem. In fact, I have a similar problem and would also like some advice on improving my pass defense. I really think I should have at least a top 10 pass defense with my personnel, by I'm in the bottom third and scrub QBs are putting up close to 300 yards on me. I'll list my defensive players and their ratings so you can have an idea of what I'm working with.

RE Charles Johnson 99
DT Star Lotulelei 95
DT Kawaan Short 88
LE Greg Hardy 99
ROLB Thomas Howard 86
MLB Luke Kuechly 93
LOLB Jon Beason 97
CB Dominique Rodgers Cromartie 89
CB Morris Claiborne 88
FS Chris Sentef 90
SS Charles Godfrey 92

My cornes have man coverage and zone coverage in the high 80s like 88 or 89, so I run a combination of zone or man. Since I got Claiborne at CB, I've been playing more man defense because his man rating is higher than his zone defense. I usually run man with two deep safeties early in the game and try to tailor my game according to what seems more effective. But I can't seem to generate consistent pressure which my team was great at last season and I'm getting beat on deep pass plays at least once a game. Last season, QBs never had the chance to throw deep balls against me and they rarely completed them when they did. This season, I'm getting beaten with short passes, intermediate passes, screens and worst of all, deep passes. So, basically, I'm getting beaten in all aspects of the passing game.

Last edited by macbranson; 02-07-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
Rookie

i have found i rarely generate a pass rush with just the front four
normally i send a pass rushing lb (i play 4-3)
or you can go nickle/dime and rush the 3rd cb (whoever is on left of screen works best, blind side hit)
it helps to have a good coverage safety, and just user the other one since you'll have to play deeper and a cf role.

on all pro i was having success rushing von miller and adjusting my line to his side. he'd either be mostly free or he'd occupy a tackle and my end would get the qb. idk if this was good playing or just finding a play that messed with the AI blocking scheme.

without von miller (i've since begun using cvg linebackers) i havent had as much success. but i normally employ dareus and someoene good @ DT. which basically gives me 3/4 DE
Old 02-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #7
Rookie

To generate a pass rush you pretty much have to control a blitzer and beat your guy with a move and hope the QB still has the ball
Old 02-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Rookie

maybe its just me, but ive noticed shifting your line to left or right really helps. also throw some zone blitzes as well. dont just play man to man. mix it up. im averaging around 5 sacks a game. sometimes ill move the dt a little left or right as well. im always shifting players around.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »