Home

Retirement stories. Tom Brady retired in my first offseason.

This is a discussion on Retirement stories. Tom Brady retired in my first offseason. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Retirement stories. Tom Brady retired in my first offseason.

Has this happened to anyone? Brady retired at the same time as Randy Moss, so I like to think they retreated to an island getaway. I'm confused why Brady retired at such a age, considering he's not super old. Must have been an unlucky roll of the dice.

Ironically, Peyton is still playing despite being older than Brady. Peyton won his team the Superbowl last season against, ironically, the Seattle Seahawks, so I wonder if maybe his Superbowl win kept him from retiring too.

Charles Woodson for my Raiders team ended up retiring fairly young due to a career-ending injury, which I thought was a cool feature, but also sad I lost such a valuable player.

Ray Lewis ending up coming out of retirement. I jumped on him quickly, even though he doesn't fit my scheme. This led me to wonder who else could emerge from retirement. Is it possible for Brett Favre, JaMarcus Russell, or an old Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice to reenter the league?

Last edited by ReMeDy; 02-20-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Retirement stories. Tom Brady retired in my first offseason.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ooo-early.html
Old 02-20-2014, 02:52 AM   #3
Rookie

PaperExplosives's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMeDy
Has this happened to anyone? Brady retired at the same time as Randy Moss, so I like to think they retreated to an island getaway. I'm confused why Brady retired at such a age, considering he's not super old. Must have been an unlucky roll of the dice.

Ironically, Peyton is still playing despite being older than Brady. Peyton won his team the Superbowl last season against, ironically, the Seattle Seahawks, so I wonder if maybe his Superbowl win kept him from retiring too.

Charles Woodson for my Raiders team ended up retiring fairly young due to a career-ending injury, which I thought was a cool feature, but also sad I lost such a valuable player.

Ray Lewis ending up coming out of retirement. I jumped on him quickly, even though he doesn't fit my scheme. This led me to wonder who else could emerge from retirement. Is it possible for Brett Favre, JaMarcus Russell, or an old Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice to reenter the league?

Yeah it happens to just about everyone and it's a quite ridiculous. For me, Drew Brees retired after my first season and then came back. Like the idea, but it's executed poorly. Franchise players shouldn't retire while they're still at the top of their game/aren't even that old yet. Players come back and sometimes coaches do too (i.e. Coach Ditka). Favre and Sanders are in their mid 40s and Jerry rice is over 50, so no, they obviously won't return to the NFL.

When it comes to retirement/player signings/player releases, don't expect the game to make any logical sense.

Last edited by PaperExplosives; 02-20-2014 at 02:56 AM. Reason: .
Old 02-20-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
Banned

Brady retired after the 1st season of my fantasy draft team, but not Peyton.

When I simmed ahead to verify my draft class, Ray Lewis and Mike Ditka (as a coach) came out of retirement.

Lewis was 38 when he became available so I imagine he might just retire again after 1 season.

Anyways you can add hall of famers to enemy teams if you don't have a player or coach on their team already, I added one for each team.

This means you can have elway, marino, montana, young, payton, sanders, faulk, rice, irvin etc all in your league, all as rookies who will be there for 10+ seasons.

They're a lot of fun to go against.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Rookie

Masterfocker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperExplosives
Yeah it happens to just about everyone and it's a quite ridiculous. For me, Drew Brees retired after my first season and then came back. Like the idea, but it's executed poorly. Franchise players shouldn't retire while they're still at the top of their game/aren't even that old yet. Players come back and sometimes coaches do too (i.e. Coach Ditka). Favre and Sanders are in their mid 40s and Jerry rice is over 50, so no, they obviously won't return to the NFL.

When it comes to retirement/player signings/player releases, don't expect the game to make any logical sense.
In my CCM's first year, Brees won league MVP, and then went onto win the SB. He then retired and got into the HoF.

^^That's kinda believable. It's really a hit or miss with Madden this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
Rookie

PaperExplosives's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterfocker
In my CCM's first year, Brees won league MVP, and then went onto win the SB. He then retired and got into the HoF.

^^That's kinda believable. It's really a hit or miss with Madden this year.
Yeah but you can kind of sense when an NFL player is gonna retire. Like if Peyton retired after a season it wouldn't be a surprise at all, but I don't see Brees retiring for a few more years. I think EA should have made it to where they announce when the season might be their last. Players usually do that rather than waiting till the very end of the season then going "well I'm retiring. See ya!"
Old 02-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperExplosives
Yeah but you can kind of sense when an NFL player is gonna retire. Like if Peyton retired after a season it wouldn't be a surprise at all, but I don't see Brees retiring for a few more years. I think EA should have made it to where they announce when the season might be their last. Players usually do that rather than waiting till the very end of the season then going "well I'm retiring. See ya!"
I don't know if there is a single factor other than age that determines the chance of a player retiring.

They could take the time to either have it vary by position and other factors, like a QB with a very high "production grade" may play into their 40's, or just manually set players like Brady, Manning etc to not retire until late in their 40's.

They no doubt thought of something like this and just said **** it
Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
Just started!

I imagine he might just retire again after 1 season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »