Home

Design Logos and Uniforms For the Next Madden NFL with a Chance to See Them In-Game

This is a discussion on Design Logos and Uniforms For the Next Madden NFL with a Chance to See Them In-Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #25
Rookie

onac22's Arena

OVR: 5
Sounds like fun for those who are interested. However, I am in the crowd that says why not have team builder and then hold the contest after game releases. I don't think EA is listening to user feedback again, most people wanted a team builder not forced to use EA's. It took to long to sort through all of the canned teams, uniforms, and names. In the end I found only a few were worth using. Strike one Madden 15. Two more and it is no buy till reviews are out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #26
Pro

Jakeness23's Arena

OVR: 27
And we need an expansion feature too, not just relocate.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #27
Pro

OVR: 13
Re: Design Logos and Uniforms For the Next Madden NFL with a Chance to See Them In-Ga

I'm not sure why people are so upset by this. My initial reaction was 'Hey that's a pretty cool idea.' I've seen people creating some alternate uniforms, logos, etc. for the Redskins (with possible name change to the Warriors) and thought they looked cooler than most current NFL uniforms. There are some super talented people out there who do this kind of stuff for the fun of it. I think that's who EA is targeting.

It may be a bummer about the lack of a 'teambuilder' type feature in Madden, but it seems like the NFL may have put some restrictions on EA recently that simply don't allow that type of feature. Just a gut feeling, but consider how conscious the NFL is about its image. Them placing restrictions on EA, preventing the public from creating neon green and highlighter pink uniforms for the Las Vegas Fighting Fairies, seems pretty plausible to me.

I think it's a pretty cool idea. Giving fans the opportunity to contribute to a weak area (cause most of the relocation uni's are awful) sounds like a positive to me.

Oh, and side note - this feature has nothing to do with fixing gameplay. People acting like they are focused on this and not focused on improving the overall game are wrong. That's not how that works.

Last edited by Meast21Forever; 02-22-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #28
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Design Logos and Uniforms For the Next Madden NFL with a Chance to See Them In-Ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast21Forever
I'm not sure why people are so upset by this. My initial reaction was 'Hey that's a pretty cool idea.' I've seen people creating some alternate uniforms, logos, etc. for the Redskins (with possible name change to the Warriors) and thought they looked cooler than most current NFL uniforms. There are some super talented people out there who do this kind of stuff for the fun of it. I think that's who EA is targeting.

I think it's a pretty cool idea. Giving fans the opportunity to contribute to a weak area (cause most of the relocation uni's are awful) sounds like a positive to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
This is pretty sad, actually. Will the next step be asking gamers to write code to perform yet another function this particular studio cannot perform? To me, this request says: hey, we don't have the talent and means to do this part of our job, so could you please help us? I think I'd be embarrassed if I were on the design team.
Trojan Man essentially calls it out and it adds back to my original argument. Look, I understand this is an amazing opportunity. To be featured on a world-renown product would be amazing. While it is a great opportunity for any artist to be featured, it is completely exploiting the individuals because a company like EA, with it's embarrassment of revenue, should be paying people real money for services that are going to be featured on a multi-million dollar product.

Terrible example but it's what I can come up with on the fly: Imagine you're a construction worker looking for work, would you volunteer to come out of pocket to do drywall in Donald Trump's new skyscraper? Sure it's a great opportunity, but what incentive does Trump have in paying it forward when he got labor for free? No one wants to go unpaid for their skills and labor; especially in this economy.

This is an industry I'm wanting to be apart of. I had to go to college, take on loans, debts, internships (x3), sacrifice, etc to be in a position just to get a foot in the door. Now, companies like EA are crowdsourcing to avoid paying for real, professional work. Accountants don't balance budgets for free, doctors don't open practices for free, janitors don't clean for free, designers/artists shouldn't create for free - people should be paid for their services and expertise.

I understand, this is voluntary, but the simple truth is this is just another example of EA being lazy. Instead of adding to the workforce and hiring and paying designers - or as stated, giving interns these opportunities to expand their portfolio - the company is casting a massive net to the general public to acquire services for free.

Okay, I'll get off my high horse now...
Old 02-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
... Okay, I'll get off my high horse now...

I don't necessarily disagree with your post. It's a viewpoint I respect and is certainly valid.

My argument would be that they're paying the winners 60 bucks (free copy of the game) and a pretty cool thing to tell their friends about. This is not a major feature they're requesting help with here. They're not asking for anything that takes major effort or hard labor. They're targeting people who know how to whip some things up in photoshop and balance a few color schemes when they're bored after the wife goes to sleep. They're not asking for a major contribution that will make or break their product. To have better uniforms/logos would be nice. To not would still be acceptable, as it was this season.

I understand wanting to work in the business and that interns could do this job. I wouldn't question them if they did that. But I think a lot of people would. If EA told us to choose between a couple of guys in their early-twenties who are just breaking in to the field of graphic design OR the entire realm of Madden players/fans of all ages (some of whom likely already possess more skill in graphic design than said interns) and who already play the game, follow the NFL, understand uniform concepts, etc. - who would the majority choose? I'd take the field. (Not to mention the backlash should the interns create uniforms that the public doesn't like. "EA used unpaid interns to make these uniforms? Typical EA effort.")

People think EA is this evil, sinister company trying to exploit it's customers at every opportunity. In some cases you could make that point and it'd be tough to argue. I don't think this is one of them. I think it's just a way to get fans involved and improve a small part of their product.

I'm excited to see what people come up with.

Last edited by Meast21Forever; 02-22-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is a pretty cool idea in general, but I'd much prefer to be able to create my own uniforms either in the game or through a Teambuilder site. I understand they need to limit the team names and cities for commentary and to go with the storyline features, but why restrict the uniforms?
Old 02-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
It's not a thread backfire. Steve simply posts the material on this website so we can go check it out.

It's a bunch if people going on tangents and using this thread as a platform for their complaints.

Sent from my iPhone 5
Hold on, if the people just tried to stay the course, say how they want to win this contest, would they really be truthful? This is exactly what should be sent to EA. SO, if they truly listen they will act. The best part about Madden was the off-season. Drafting, relocation and stadium building. Those are all gone. Finito. And this is what the talk is about. Devils on helmets huh. That whole idea sucked anyway. Move and the uniform is already there. The Bucs just changed tgere logo. That's realism. It's in the Game right? But not in madden. Wack.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 10
If you buy into this. Your saying nothing is wrong with the game. Who care's if teens want to play it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »