Home

Man defense alignment

This is a discussion on Man defense alignment within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Man defense alignment

Man defense on this game is bad enough without alignment problems. In certain formations when i come out in man defense, the players don't line up right. Like if the CPU has 3 WRs on one side and the TE split out, the CB will line up over the TE and I'll be stuck with a LB covering a WR. There as several formations where this happens. Is there any way to make CBs line up over WRs so I don't have mismatches like LBs or safeties covering WRs? Because the CPU recognizes the mismatch instantly and makes you pay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #2
Rookie

wwhickok's Arena

Re: Man defense alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson
Man defense on this game is bad enough without alignment problems. In certain formations when i come out in man defense, the players don't line up right. Like if the CPU has 3 WRs on one side and the TE split out, the CB will line up over the TE and I'll be stuck with a LB covering a WR. There as several formations where this happens. Is there any way to make CBs line up over WRs so I don't have mismatches like LBs or safeties covering WRs? Because the CPU recognizes the mismatch instantly and makes you pay.
This is pretty much the reason I rarely run man coverages against the CPU. Honestly there is no point. Defense is so flawed in this game it's ridiculous. I get so frustrated when it's 3rd and 25 or something and they throw a pass into double coverage or in a zone coverage where there should be a guy but there just isn't and they get a 1st down...seriously? How often does that really happen? On Madden, all the time.I also generally use a lot of shifts and audibles defensively.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Rookie

Tha_Mac's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
They only thing I can tell you and this is what I do: you can manually move the player into the proper position. Of course you have to be quick about it because the cpu could snap the ball.

The other option is to audible into a zone defense that better covers the field against a trips formation.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:39 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Mac
They only thing I can tell you and this is what I do: you can manually move the player into the proper position. Of course you have to be quick about it because the cpu could snap the ball.

The other option is to audible into a zone defense that better covers the field against a trips formation.

Hope this helps!
I'll take that as a "no". That sucks. I had really spent a lot of time in the offseason trying to really shift my team into a better pass defense. I got two new corners, Antonio Cromartie and Xavier Rhodes. They play #2 and nickel respectively. I have Janoris Jenkins as my #1 corner. He had like 8 picks last season and his overall and MCV ratings are at 91. So, all my corners have really good MCV and speed. Then, I added Jelani Jenkins at LB. I have him playing next to Luke Kuechly in my nickel packages. These are two of the best coverage linebackers in the game. And my defensive line is stacked with Ezekiel Ansah, Derrick Morgan, Greg Hardy and Jahred Muhammad (CPU generated). These dudes are all rated over 94 and they're all defensive ends. There's no way I shouldn't have at least a top 10 pass defense this season.

I played my first game and it wasn't too bad. I gave up like 250 yards to Matt Ryan and he has Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas. He threw 3 TDs and 0 INTs. But the main problem was Ryan taking advantage of mismatches with safeties or linebackers covering WRs. Also, linebackers really can't cover anybody in this game; it can be a tight end or running back, they're just gonna get lost in coverage. That seems to be a big problem, too. My corners and safeties played really well for the most part. But I really wish I could shift the man coverage to avoid these mismatches. I usually just audible into a zone defense when I see it about to happen, but the CPU QB will usually tear a zone defense apart.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:22 AM   #5
Rookie

Tha_Mac's Arena

Another thing I do because I feel my man coverage is pretty good I play as the FS. You can play Man 2 Under and as the FS you can double any receiver that might have an advantage over your LB's or weaker CB's.

That's what I do the last game I played I was the Bills vs the Patriots and I held Brady to 9-24 for 71 yards. He did get injured in the game and missed 1 quarter of play but that's still pretty dominant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

im #1 in offence and 32 in defence, this with 91 fs, 99 ss, 92/90 cbs
97/98/99/99 lbers 93/90/99 dline

this is in coach mode

/cry

Last edited by Ueauvan; 05-06-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: addition
Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
Rookie

Tha_Mac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
im #1 in offence and 32 in defence, this with 91 fs, 99 ss, 92/90 cbs
97/98/99/99 lbers 93/90/99 dline

this is in coach mode

/cry
You should play with either the FS or the SS because if they are elite then they can control the game. Think Ed Reed in his prime at FS and Troy Polamalu at SS in his prime.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
I'll take that as a "no". That sucks. I had really spent a lot of time in the offseason trying to really shift my team into a better pass defense. I got two new corners, Antonio Cromartie and Xavier Rhodes. They play #2 and nickel respectively. I have Janoris Jenkins as my #1 corner. He had like 8 picks last season and his overall and MCV ratings are at 91. So, all my corners have really good MCV and speed. Then, I added Jelani Jenkins at LB. I have him playing next to Luke Kuechly in my nickel packages. These are two of the best coverage linebackers in the game. And my defensive line is stacked with Ezekiel Ansah, Derrick Morgan, Greg Hardy and Jahred Muhammad (CPU generated). These dudes are all rated over 94 and they're all defensive ends. There's no way I shouldn't have at least a top 10 pass defense this season.

I played my first game and it wasn't too bad. I gave up like 250 yards to Matt Ryan and he has Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas. He threw 3 TDs and 0 INTs. But the main problem was Ryan taking advantage of mismatches with safeties or linebackers covering WRs. Also, linebackers really can't cover anybody in this game; it can be a tight end or running back, they're just gonna get lost in coverage. That seems to be a big problem, too. My corners and safeties played really well for the most part. But I really wish I could shift the man coverage to avoid these mismatches. I usually just audible into a zone defense when I see it about to happen, but the CPU QB will usually tear a zone defense apart.
Not trying to get off your topic but it has to do with the cpu passing. I have noticed that the int s thrown by the cpu the return yards will count for cpu s passing yards. I have been keeping track of the last 10 games and have noticed the cpu wr s yards dont match the qb s yards but if you look at your def int yards it adds up. I have also noticed at game stats screen will show cpu passing yards at example 250 but look at player stats and the cpu qb will have like 188 or so. Because of this i dont get to wrapped up an passing stats because most of the time they are off. I worry more about overall def

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »