Home

Will the Madden Franchise ever be #2 again?

This is a discussion on Will the Madden Franchise ever be #2 again? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2004, 10:23 AM   #9
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Will the Madden Franchise ever be #2 again?

Quote:

USF11 said:
No,thats really really funny. Not to make fun of visual concepts because I do like their Pro basketball games over EA's.But I stillhave no idea why people like the NFLK/Espn series. I mean theirs just something about how the players move that makes me not like it at all.

Because espn nfl is the best football game ever. Anyway, madden will never be number two because they sell the games on 6 platforms and madden is the only football game on the pc.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:24 AM   #10

jmood88's Arena

Quote:

Mizzou23 said:
It would take an awful lot for Madden to get outsold. Many people considered 2k3 a spectacular game and it just got pummeled in sales. I'm not sure what the numbers were this year, but when I went by gamestop the night madden came in, i figured i would be the only one in the store. boy was I wrong. There were like 50 people in there waiting for it. There is an incredible appetite for this game. It does many things very well and you constantly see ads for it on tv, so it's on the public's mind much moreso than the ESPN series. I guess we'll see the first commercials for Madden '05 when the NFL Draft rolls around, that's when the real anticipation will start.

To outsell Madden, ESPN would have to put out a TREMENDOUS game, something equivalent to what Tecmo Super Bowl was back in the day. It was just light years ahead of anything else that was out there (as far as i know). I can still play that game to this day. Anyway, even though ESPN may never outsell Madden, it doesn't mean that VC and Sega can't put away a good profit. If they can just close the gap a little bit, not necessarily overtake them, they will be around for a long time.

Does anyone have the sales stats for this year's games? it would be interesting to see how ESPN and Madden compare to NCAA as well, seeing as how most OSers consider that to be the best football game of the year.

Espn outsold madden on the xbox but on the ps2 it got killed.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:54 AM   #11
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

jmood88 said:
Quote:

Mizzou23 said:
It would take an awful lot for Madden to get outsold. Many people considered 2k3 a spectacular game and it just got pummeled in sales. I'm not sure what the numbers were this year, but when I went by gamestop the night madden came in, i figured i would be the only one in the store. boy was I wrong. There were like 50 people in there waiting for it. There is an incredible appetite for this game. It does many things very well and you constantly see ads for it on tv, so it's on the public's mind much moreso than the ESPN series. I guess we'll see the first commercials for Madden '05 when the NFL Draft rolls around, that's when the real anticipation will start.

To outsell Madden, ESPN would have to put out a TREMENDOUS game, something equivalent to what Tecmo Super Bowl was back in the day. It was just light years ahead of anything else that was out there (as far as i know). I can still play that game to this day. Anyway, even though ESPN may never outsell Madden, it doesn't mean that VC and Sega can't put away a good profit. If they can just close the gap a little bit, not necessarily overtake them, they will be around for a long time.

Does anyone have the sales stats for this year's games? it would be interesting to see how ESPN and Madden compare to NCAA as well, seeing as how most OSers consider that to be the best football game of the year.

Espn outsold madden on the xbox but on the ps2 it got killed.

Link?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2004, 10:59 AM   #12

jmood88's Arena

It was in an old thread on the espn board but I don't remember the thread.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:28 AM   #13
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18

I am curious how ESPN will do against Madden on the box if EA does ink a deal with Xbox Live. That was the only reason why ESPN outsold Madden. Whether you like ESPN or Madden, the fact that ESPN was on live gave it a huge edge over Madden. Obviously it was on line for PS2 helping to ensure the driving sales margins. Having been a District Mgr for a video rental store, our numbers had Madden renting out more across the board than ESPN. To each their own I say. I prefer Madden but would often enourage people to rent ESPN. Of course that could be to affect my bottom line.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #14
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19

This isn't a thread that has anything to do with EA vs. Sega. This has to do with the future of the Madden franchise.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:59 PM   #15
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

USF11 said:
This isn't a thread that has anything to do with EA vs. Sega. This has to do with the future of the Madden franchise.

No kidding, I was just stating what has gone on in my business and how I am curious to see what will happen sales wise if EA(which produces Madden) inks the deal with XboxLive. I think that will mean more sales for Madden on the Xbob making it the true #1 selling NFL franchise. It already has been on the PS2 and other platforms, just not the Xbox this past year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2004, 02:35 PM   #16

jmood88's Arena

Quote:

USF11 said:

If you are going to start a thread asking if madden is ever going to be number 2 then you have to talk about the competitors.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »