Home

Secondary defense

This is a discussion on Secondary defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Pro

poulka's Arena

OVR: 8
Angry Secondary defense

In madden 15 playing on all pro I am starting to see something occur to often for my comfort. When playing the CPU, my corners get beat down the field, I mean it is like they stop running or something. The receiver is ten yards behind everyone and it goes for six every time this happens. The last time I wasincover 2 zone. Has this happened to anyone else Seahawks did it twice to me in the same game.
F1 2021 Aston Martin Racing
Madden 23 Random play now matchups
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Secondary defense

It happened to me once in 6 games but i am the Eagles and there secondary is not that great so I was fine with it.

Justin Blackmon was wide open down the right sideline. I didn't watch the replay to see why. It doesn't happen all the time so i just chalk it up to blown coverage.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Pro

poulka's Arena

OVR: 8

I welcome your experience, because that is what I want to get a feel for. I do mix my coverages for example I will tell my SS to drop deep zone and FS to drop deep zone. I rarely mess with my CB1 or CB2 assignments. I would welcome any advice of what to do to prevent this. Plays I normally run in pass coverage are Nickel cover 2, cover 3 buzz 2, cover 4, cover 6, and cover 6 show 2.
F1 2021 Aston Martin Racing
Madden 23 Random play now matchups
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
Old 09-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Same here. Secondary defense is terrible. I'm using the 49ers in connected franchise and just played the Patriots. Their backup QB had an unbelievable 93% completion percentage. I couldn't stop their receivers at all.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19

I found that you have to make the in game adjustments, pre-snap. do you have your dbs, play over the top, underneath. etc, do you press coverage, and also use the db pass align. which aligns your dbs to the wr's in man coverage.
theyll keep up with receivers using all the options available. even if a receiver makes a catch youll be able to quickly tackle them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
Rookie

The defense in the secondary is terrible. They seem so passive.

I overcame this problem with a good pass rush and blitzes several during the game.

Getting sacks and hits on qb, you can force the opponent to 3nd and long situations.

And sometimes, like a miracle your DB decides to do the right thing and intercepting a pass. Or a deep pass with good coverage is possible to avoid the pass is completed, the ball stays in the air for long.

If the QB's have all day to throw they will destroy their defense.

At least that way I could avoid those games that allowed 400 or 500 yds on the passing game. Now rarely permit more than 230 yds.

With a good pass rush, the Qb starts making bad reads and bad decisions too.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
Just started!

well, run in pass coverage are Nickel cover 2, cover 3 buzz 2, cover 4, cover 6, and cover 6 show 2.thanks
Old 10-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hellid
Same here. Secondary defense is terrible. I'm using the 49ers in connected franchise and just played the Patriots. Their backup QB had an unbelievable 93% completion percentage. I couldn't stop their receivers at all.
This problem is so bad that it makes the game virtually unplayable for me, I'm strongly considering returning or selling it even though I'll only get a fraction of my money back. It's ridiculous. The game does a number of things very well, but there's literally no pass coverage whatsoever for the player's team.

I've tried every slider configuration I could think of, every play calling/pre-snap adjustment strategy, etc. and only one of two things ever happens. Either the QB completely destroys my defense (I've had several 2nd and 3rd stringers end up something like 40-42 for 450 yards and 4 TDs, the only incompletions being user picks), or I completely shut down the offense because I send heavy pressure and get 10-15 sacks per game. Neither of those is even remotely realistic.

The final scores actually tend to be pretty reasonable, I've been on both the winning and losing side of games that were 28-21, 31-30, etc. That's great. But the gameplay itself is so broken it's not even funny.

/rant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »