Home

I always bought Madden but this year ESPN looks awesome

This is a discussion on I always bought Madden but this year ESPN looks awesome within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2004, 06:25 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: I always bought Madden but this year ESPN looks awesome

Quote:

grunt said:
Its funny. Since, 9/9/99 I have brought at least 3 football games EA NCAA, Madden, and ESPN/2k. I brought both sega college football games also. Last year I brought Fever but I eventually traded Fever at Gamestop. I dont have any problems switching between games. My boys only play Madden and wont even play NCAA ( da best football game IMO) I tell my friends that I am the king of all football games because i play the big three.

I always wanted to have Madden/NCAA/ESPN tourney but few folks play all three. I think NCAA will be the best this year and Madden and ESPN will fight for 2nd place.

brought = bought?
Old 05-04-2004, 11:46 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 4

holy crap, what was the point of that last post he obviously meant bought
Old 05-05-2004, 12:21 AM   #35
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

ViCe3000 said:
Quote:

Dagreat1 said:
You like Maddens Soundtrack? With ESPN Football on Xbox you can make your own soundtracks.

I only have a ps2 (should have bought a XBOX, cuz I only play sport games now)
But ESPN doesn't have those owner features Madden 04 had right?

not taking sides but espn has more of a coaching mode, where you schedule practices and film sessions, and this may help or hurt players by either raising thier stats a little or making them fatigue so i like the aspect a bit. But you won't be able to relocate or price hot dogs and that kinda stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2004, 12:55 AM   #36
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

ESPN always looks good every year, then you buy it and it's filled with flaws that cripple it. They are innovative and I appreciate that but each company needs to take somethign from the other. Sega needs to innovate less and tweak more. EA needs to innovate more and tweak less.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:35 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

ODogg said:
ESPN always looks good every year, then you buy it and it's filled with flaws that cripple it. They are innovative and I appreciate that but each company needs to take somethign from the other. Sega needs to innovate less and tweak more. EA needs to innovate more and tweak less.

I think you have that a little backwards. Tiburon tweeks little to nothing in Madden and try to innovate with new modes or features every year. If they would tweek a few things in their gameplay, Madden vs. Sega wouldn't be an issue. I agree that VC needs to try to work some of the gameplay flaws from last year, but even with it's flaws it was still more realistic than Madden. I'm not an ESPN fanboy, I thought Madden was a blast to play. But I think if VC tweeks the running game and some of the ball physics in the passing game, there would be no question who has the better gameplay.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:09 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:

tbg713 said:
Quote:

ODogg said:

I think you have that a little backwards. Tiburon tweeks little to nothing in Madden and try to innovate with new modes or features every year. If they would tweek a few things in their gameplay, Madden vs. Sega wouldn't be an issue. I agree that VC needs to try to work some of the gameplay flaws from last year, but even with it's flaws it was still more realistic than Madden. I'm not an ESPN fanboy, I thought Madden was a blast to play. But I think if VC tweeks the running game and some of the ball physics in the passing game, there would be no question who has the better gameplay.

No, I have it right.

What do Madden supporters like about Madden? The addition of tweaks to franchise such as setting vendor prices, the tweaking of the AI, the correction of many minor complaints from the year before, the consistency, the enhancements, many of which are minor but as a package make the game better from the year previous. Whats the complaint people always have about Madden? That it is the same game as the year before. Or basically it fails to innovate and instead is released each year with what they perceive as minor tweaks and no signifigant additions.

Now, what do people like about ESPN? That it adds totally new and innovative things every year such as first person football, the crib, it adds more plays, new ways of choosing plays (such as on defense), it innovates and does not seem "stale" basically, each year they add major new additions. Now whats the complaint people always have about ESPN? That it has flaws in the interface, the animations are off, it doesn't "feel right" in how it handles, there are missing stats, simmed games aren't correct in scores, stats etc, all products of lack of tweaking.

The basic criticism of Madden is that it is the same ol' crap by haters. The basic criticism of ESPN is that "yeah it's got alot of new stuff that Madden don't but half of it don't work or don't work right so it sucks" Each company could learn from the other. EA needs to innovate more, Sega needs to tweak/test more.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:56 AM   #39
The Broski

MMan's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

ODogg said:
Quote:

tbg713 said:
Quote:

ODogg said:

No, I have it right.

What do Madden supporters like about Madden? The addition of tweaks to franchise such as setting vendor prices, the tweaking of the AI, the correction of many minor complaints from the year before, the consistency, the enhancements, many of which are minor but as a package make the game better from the year previous. Whats the complaint people always have about Madden? That it is the same game as the year before. Or basically it fails to innovate and instead is released each year with what they perceive as minor tweaks and no signifigant additions.

Now, what do people like about ESPN? That it adds totally new and innovative things every year such as first person football, the crib, it adds more plays, new ways of choosing plays (such as on defense), it innovates and does not seem "stale" basically, each year they add major new additions. Now whats the complaint people always have about ESPN? That it has flaws in the interface, the animations are off, it doesn't "feel right" in how it handles, there are missing stats, simmed games aren't correct in scores, stats etc, all products of lack of tweaking.

The basic criticism of Madden is that it is the same ol' crap by haters. The basic criticism of ESPN is that "yeah it's got alot of new stuff that Madden don't but half of it don't work or don't work right so it sucks" Each company could learn from the other. EA needs to innovate more, Sega needs to tweak/test more.

(The basic criticism of ESPN is that "yeah it's got alot of new stuff that Madden don't but half of it don't work or don't work right so it sucks") --huh??

ODogg joined a EA cult awhile back. He's a lifetime member.

ESPN going for the 3-peat baby!!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:08 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Nah I'm not in the EA cult, i've bought ESPN which was formerly NFL2K since it was on the Dreamcast. I buy and play both games and make a judgement call every year. Both games do things good and bad. That is why in my thread above I was able to point out both good and bad things about each game. If I was an EA cult member i'd simply trash Segas game and praise EA's. I also doubt an EA cult member buys and plays both games.

And 3-peat? 3-peat in what? LOL..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »