Home

draft process

This is a discussion on draft process within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2004, 10:58 AM   #1
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9
draft process

Does anyone else think that this game could benefit from a deeper draft presentation? NFL teams often have a good idea of what all he other teams in the league are in need of and what they will draft, especially in the first round. How am I supposed to trade up in the first round if I have no idea what the team ahead of me is going to take? If Minnesota wants the big DT at 14 but Detroit is likely to take him at 12, then they are going to do what they can to move up to 11 to take him. Maybe a mock draft or some type of scouting on other teams woudld help this. Another thought is the lack of depth at certain postiions in the draft. I should never not have the option of taking a receiver in teh seventh round. Thats just silly. If I want to draft a position I should have that right, no matter how poor the player is. I really hope they improve this part of the game this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 17
Re: draft process

I agree 100% the draft is pretty much a crapshoot, with little to no strategy at all. I think it would benefit us to see other teams top 3 positions of need vs player value by round so if a team needs a RB they won't take one with their top 10 pick if the best RB is late 1st round talent. This would also give us kind of an idea of what teams are looking for so you can possibly make deals, or cpu controlled teams can make deals with each other.

I'd also like to see deeper scouting. Like maybe have a Scout or GM and give them a rating on recognizing talent, so if your GM or Scout isnt good at knowing what players are good then you'll have bad drafts. You can also make this deeper by giving them the "talent recognization" rating by positions like one guy may be good at evaluating QB's, decent at RB's, and bad for DL's..stuff like that. This was in Front Office Football I believe. I'd also like to see college stats of these players, what awards they've earned in college(Heisman winner, All-American, 1st - 3rd team all conference, etc...), How well they performed in big games, If they recently switched positions(like Chris Gamble). I'm a draft nut myself so i'd like as much info as possible to go over and make an informed decision. 40 times and vague notes aren't enough to go on...c'mon EA. I think it would be nice for them to actually show footage of the draftees doing drills at the combine or letting us control them through drills to get a feel for them. Also their should be an inital "Rookie" training camp before regular training.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
T*rg*t F**ld

bergie56's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

zpq12 said:
Does anyone else think that this game could benefit from a deeper draft presentation? NFL teams often have a good idea of what all he other teams in the league are in need of and what they will draft, especially in the first round. How am I supposed to trade up in the first round if I have no idea what the team ahead of me is going to take? If Minnesota wants the big DT at 14 but Detroit is likely to take him at 12, then they are going to do what they can to move up to 11 to take him. Maybe a mock draft or some type of scouting on other teams woudld help this. Another thought is the lack of depth at certain postiions in the draft. I should never not have the option of taking a receiver in teh seventh round. Thats just silly. If I want to draft a position I should have that right, no matter how poor the player is. I really hope they improve this part of the game this year.

I agree as well. I also think that there needs to be some busts and some late round steals. Maybe they could have like a wild card or something different than the potential rating, or expand on the current potential rating.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9

Does anyone know if they are adressing this this year?
Old 05-21-2004, 03:48 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:

Bad_Intentions said:
I agree 100% the draft is pretty much a crapshoot, with little to no strategy at all. I think it would benefit us to see other teams top 3 positions of need vs player value by round so if a team needs a RB they won't take one with their top 10 pick if the best RB is late 1st round talent. This would also give us kind of an idea of what teams are looking for so you can possibly make deals, or cpu controlled teams can make deals with each other.

I'd also like to see deeper scouting. Like maybe have a Scout or GM and give them a rating on recognizing talent, so if your GM or Scout isnt good at knowing what players are good then you'll have bad drafts. You can also make this deeper by giving them the "talent recognization" rating by positions like one guy may be good at evaluating QB's, decent at RB's, and bad for DL's..stuff like that. This was in Front Office Football I believe. I'd also like to see college stats of these players, what awards they've earned in college(Heisman winner, All-American, 1st - 3rd team all conference, etc...), How well they performed in big games, If they recently switched positions(like Chris Gamble). I'm a draft nut myself so i'd like as much info as possible to go over and make an informed decision. 40 times and vague notes aren't enough to go on...c'mon EA. I think it would be nice for them to actually show footage of the draftees doing drills at the combine or letting us control them through drills to get a feel for them. Also their should be an inital "Rookie" training camp before regular training.

The rookie training camp before the real traing camp is a great idea and realistic. Seeing other teams top 3 positions of need is also a great idea.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2004, 07:41 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

A mock draft in Madden is an absolute must addition in my book. They also need to be much more in depth about the players. They need to perhaps write a paragraph of strenghts, and a paragraph of weaknesses like you might find on many internet prospect profiles. The idea of being able to try out rookies is a great one. Maybe use the training campp drills at the scouting combine to evaluate the rookies. I like the idea of a seperate rookie training camp as well.
They also could have an actually graphically represented draft, instead of just a list of players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »