Home

20-yard Dropback Still in 2005

This is a discussion on 20-yard Dropback Still in 2005 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2004, 04:50 PM   #25
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40
Re: 20-yard Dropback Still in 2005

I think the drop issue won't change until they redo the game engine. If they don't then well I chalk it up to the arcade side of the game, for the casual fan..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2004, 04:52 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 21

Redo the engine or change development teams. You gotta figure that EA's #1 team is already working on the next gen consoles anyways. Whoever they have working on this year's Madden probably isn't talented enough to do anything about it.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #27
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

I never do it either. I'm all about realism and I do all I can to make sure the game is real. Dropping back 20 yards to complete passes because you know the AI won't punish you for it is the same as using money plays. There is no difference. It's cheesing plain and simple. You can blame EA for whatever you like, but when the user is behind the controller, he has the ability to play the game like it should be played. There is no excuse for that. I'm down to blaklist anybody who plays this way.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #28
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Quote:

Bondra12 said:
Quote:

Lester206 said:
Quote:

TarHeelPhenom said:
It's gonna always be in there as long as users keep dropping back 25 yards. That ain't realistic at all. You wanna talk about playing a realistic game, then all yall dude's who drop back 25 yards....QUIT DOING IT!!!

exactly, why do people complain about this when the user himself is the one who is controlling the QB. any QB in real life can drop back 20 yards himself but they dont actually do it. duh??

People complain because the game doesn't punish you for dropping back 20 yds. In the NFL, no QB does it because they would either be sacked for a huge loss or be way less likely to complete the pass. In Madden, the offense gets the advantage by doing this which is why people do it.

How come no one is responding to this logical response?

... Still waiting....

Exactly... it's just like Grand Theft Auto and playing with cheats... you don't really want to do it, and you don't feel like you should use them, yet they're THERE, it's apparent that you can use them, so you take them to your advantage.

Just like ESPN MLB and playing in any stadium during any time of the day... you want to keep it realistic and just play at your park, etc., like it really is. YET, you ARE able to change the stadiums and time of day, so you feel the want to do it since it's there.

Hard to explain, you need to experience it.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:16 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Quote:

Bondra12 said:
Quote:

Lester206 said:
Quote:

TarHeelPhenom said:
It's gonna always be in there as long as users keep dropping back 25 yards. That ain't realistic at all. You wanna talk about playing a realistic game, then all yall dude's who drop back 25 yards....QUIT DOING IT!!!

exactly, why do people complain about this when the user himself is the one who is controlling the QB. any QB in real life can drop back 20 yards himself but they dont actually do it. duh??

People complain because the game doesn't punish you for dropping back 20 yds. In the NFL, no QB does it because they would either be sacked for a huge loss or be way less likely to complete the pass. In Madden, the offense gets the advantage by doing this which is why people do it.

How come no one is responding to this logical response?

... Still waiting....

No one is responding because it's an indefensible argument. It's irrelevant whether or not you decide to personally not take advantage of the dropbacks. If you ever want to play another person, you are going to be faced with a situation where you will be at a competitive disadvantage if you play correctly while they take advantage of the deep drops. This is the single biggest reason why ESPN continues to be a better simulation than Madden, regardless of how anyone feels about the different feel of the game. A twenty yard dropback in ESPN is going to result in a sack, an incompletion or an interception way more often than not. In Madden, while you may run the risk of the very occasional sack, your odds of success increase dramatically with a drop of no fewer than ten to fifteen yards. The reason is because Madden doesn't tie its quarterback drops to the types of routes that are being called. In ESPN, a short passing play will have the QB drop three steps and be in position to throw in rhythm. In Madden, the quarterbacks don't set up quickly enough to throw short routes realistically, so instead you need to hold the ball longer than the route dictates, requiring a deeper drop to keep the linemen off.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:21 AM   #30
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19

I watched some of the Madden Bowl tonight on techtv(from last year) and the players that were winning were then ones cheesing the place up.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:53 AM   #31
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

I just watched the video again MAN gtfu Outta here with that, BOTH games have ALOT of sh1t wrong with them and if you want to enjoy any of these games you gotta let sh1t slide... PLus you made is sound alot worse than what it really is
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2004, 03:54 AM   #32
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:

Grondar said:
Granted, he dropped back, but his feet were set, and he took a step forward before throwing. Also, it was a Play Action, so he had to drop back more to sell the fake.

And lastly, McNabb has a cannon, so I don't think that is such an unrealistic throw for him. He dropped back 3-4 yards for the hand-off, and then 6-7 more to throw.

Anyway, to me it looked like his feet are set and he takes a step forward before throwing.. His feet look planted to me when he throws..

Also, the guy playing D switched to the defender when the ball was in the air and lost a few steps on Pinkston, thus leaving him open.

That's my take on it anyway.. Doesn't seem to be a big deal to me.

And sir you make alot of sense

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »