Home

Is ESPN taking away all the thunder.

This is a discussion on Is ESPN taking away all the thunder. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2004, 10:40 AM   #41
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Is ESPN taking away all the thunder.

Quote:

Bacardi151 said:
Quote:

morpheus007 said:
There must be some very scared Madden loyalist. Why not try ESPN??? $20 is the cost. If Madden had dropped its price to $20.00 the boards would be flooded as if Christ himself was here. There
are so many " closed minded " people on these boards. $50.00 vs $20.00. A fool and his money are
soon parted. I just can not understand why it is so hard to break away from the Madden mentality.
Will JOHN MADDEN himself visit and curse you and your family if you tried another game. Yes,
everyone has a right to his/her own opinion and if you like Madden better, good. I myself have bought Madden for the last 10 years. Every year giving EA my $50.

NOTE: what has EA done for me lately???......nothing. A closed mind is a dead mind.
Think before you speak......just one man's opinion

although a great deal, this really isnt about close mindedness. No one is being forced to play anything. you dont have to purchase the game. If someone is happy with madden, then let them play the game they choose. However you might feel about them not at least trying espn, the whole point is that they really dont have to. do they lose out? maybe, maybe not. if you are happy with your game purchases then just let it be.

people should stop trying to shove games down people's throats. People can make a purchasing decision by themselves.

well, at least some

Well said.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2004, 10:46 AM   #42
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:

Catman24 said:
Man listen. I always buy both games every year. I have been buying NFL2K or ESPN Football ever since it came out on the Dreamcast. I always give this game a complete look at. I play a season and some games online. This game just dont hold my attention very long. It just get BORING. Yeah the presentation is nice. But I need gameplay. I believe this years Madden will have the best gameplay (as it always has), but also a better presentation. Lets not even discuss or compare the games franchise modes. Madden win this hands down. You guys can say whatever you want to (which you have the right to do that) but you are talking out of wishful thinking. You want ESPN to be the better game. But it just not and will never be the better game. Sorry.

p.s. Maybe you should start comparing ESPN with NFL FEVER or NFL GAMEDAY. Let the king (Madden) set on his throne in peace.

See, this is a problem...

I stopped by my local Gamestop "EA temple" and mentioned the price drop. Everybody just laughed and said that ESPN is too boring and slow, and it still won't sell. Then the guy REALLY flipped me out when he says that ESPN may be more realistic, but it'll never touch Madden's gameplay...So I guess realism isn't to high on dudes priority list.

Problem for Sega is that they give guys like Catman WAAAAY too much credit for being able to appreciate or even discern realistic gameplay from the guaranteed 300+ passing yards per game, the 20 yard Super-Marioland dropback, the 38 to 42 average score, and generally pass, pass, pass gameplay of Madden. Sounds like a slam, but it isn't meant to be. Theres nothing wrong with being addicted to the same gameplay, realistic or not, for 15+ years. Those guys don't really care about real football, they want the adrenaline rush of constant tripe-coverage 60 yard bombs.

Espn will gain market-share, but a ton of Madden guys are too accustomed to the over-the-top, high-octane style of EA's series for even a 20 price to sway them....

Oh Well. Their loss.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:54 AM   #43
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:

HMcCoy said:
Quote:

Catman24 said:
Man listen. I always buy both games every year. I have been buying NFL2K or ESPN Football ever since it came out on the Dreamcast. I always give this game a complete look at. I play a season and some games online. This game just dont hold my attention very long. It just get BORING. Yeah the presentation is nice. But I need gameplay. I believe this years Madden will have the best gameplay (as it always has), but also a better presentation. Lets not even discuss or compare the games franchise modes. Madden win this hands down. You guys can say whatever you want to (which you have the right to do that) but you are talking out of wishful thinking. You want ESPN to be the better game. But it just not and will never be the better game. Sorry.

p.s. Maybe you should start comparing ESPN with NFL FEVER or NFL GAMEDAY. Let the king (Madden) set on his throne in peace.

I stopped by my local Gamestop "EA temple" and mentioned the price drop. Everybody just laughed and said that ESPN is too boring and slow, and it still won't sell. Then the guy REALLY flipped me out when he says that ESPN may be more realistic, but it'll never touch Madden's gameplay...So I guess realism isn't to high on dudes priority list.

Problem for Sega is that they give guys like Catman WAAAAY too much credit for being able to appreciate or even discern realistic gameplay from the guaranteed 300+ passing yards per game, the 20 yard Super-Marioland dropback, the 38 to 42 average score, and generally pass, pass, pass gameplay of Madden. Sounds like a slam, but it isn't meant to be. Theres nothing wrong with being addicted to the same gameplay, realistic or not, for 15+ years. Those guys don't really care about real football, they want the adrenaline rush of constant tripe-coverage 60 yard bombs.

Espn will gain market-share, but a ton of Madden guys are too accustomed to the over-the-top, high-octane style of EA's series for even a 20 price to sway them....

Oh Well. Their loss.

Even better said ,
last year i loved ncaa 2004, madden was pretty good, but i didnt even try espn, i dont play alot of football games, but for a measley 20.00 id be out of my mind to not buy espn. even tho im not a huge fan of nfl or football persay, its a no brainer to me.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:14 AM   #44
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

I think thats the problem right there people prefer MAdden not because its more realistic gameplay, but because the gameplay is more fun. But then if that's the case then it will always go down to preference. High scores big plays is the base of Madden's play which is a realistic aspect of football where as ESPN is a war of attrition which to me is the better part of football.

So I guess its are you a Sportscenter gamer or NFL films gamer.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:24 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 6

Its funny to see all you guys talking like ESPN is god or something. How realistic can the game be, when it moves the way it do( 300pound linemen stopping like Vick on a dime) . I dont know, but didnt alot of ppl buy espn when the price dropped to $10. Then wanted to take it back to get their money. If the game is good it will sell, it dont have anything to do with closed minds or stuff like that. The game just is not fun to 80% of the ppl playing football games. If your in that 20% be happy, have fun, and stop trying to get everyone to cross over. The game can look as good as it want but if its not fun to the guy thats buying it he wont.

Then the talk about EA, never fixing the things that wrong with the game. VC only adds to what they already do good, is about the same thing right? They make it look better and better yr after yr but the gameplay that alot of ppl dont like stay the same.

Now can i get paid by VC to say good things about espn with you guys
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #46
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:

TyghtWork said:
Its funny to see all you guys talking like ESPN is god or something. How realistic can the game be, when it moves the way it do( 300pound linemen stopping like Vick on a dime) . I dont know, but didnt alot of ppl buy espn when the price dropped to $10. Then wanted to take it back to get their money. If the game is good it will sell, it dont have anything to do with closed minds or stuff like that. The game just is not fun to 80% of the ppl playing football games. If your in that 20% be happy, have fun, and stop trying to get everyone to cross over. The game can look as good as it want but if its not fun to the guy thats buying it he wont.

Then the talk about EA, never fixing the things that wrong with the game. VC only adds to what they already do good, is about the same thing right? They make it look better and better yr after yr but the gameplay that alot of ppl dont like stay the same.

Now can i get paid by VC to say good things about espn with you guys

I agree with you its what you find fun if you don't think Madden puts a high premium on Big Plays then you are fooling yourself. Nothing is wrong with that but I guess I just have grown tired of that type of play. But its hard to say 80% of the folks like Madden over ESPN when about 60% of those people have not played ESPN or played long enough to not compare it to MAdden. Many times I hear people say this is done better in MAdden when it might be that it is done different in MAdden and if you have been 14 years strong doing something one way its hard to see it done differently.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #47
Pro

Catman24's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

HMcCoy said:
Quote:

Catman24 said:

Oh Well. Their loss. [/quote
Oooooo. Shot to the gut. That hurt. Anyway.

Yes there are SOMETHINGS repeat SOMETHINGS in Madden that can be a little arcadish(if thats a word).Why did they put those things in Madden. I dont have the answer to that question. Regardless.I chose not to play the game that way. Realism is what I like and real is how I play. I dont wing the football down the field 60 yards on every play and neither do I drop back 20 yards to throw it. Dump off passes to my runningback or a nice out or slant pass to my wideout is fine with me. Reading coverage is what a like to do. People keep buying Madden for a reason. Your reason, for a lot of us is DEAD WRONG.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 21

QB drop back is a perfect example. A lot of Madden players initially have problems with adjusting to how, in ESPN, it pays to allow the cpu to handle your QB drop back, while you (the human) are reading the receivers. Once you get the hang of it though, it can be tough to go back to the EA style of play. Some do, some don't.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »