Home

How will the (apparent) ESPN price drop affect Madden?

This is a discussion on How will the (apparent) ESPN price drop affect Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2004, 06:18 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: How will the (apparent) ESPN price drop affect Madden?

I think a lot of you are missing the big point. If Sega can sell their game for $19.99; pay all of the licensing fees to the NFL, the NFLPA. the coaches, the stadiums, ESPN, ESPN's on air talent etc etc, then the question is how much have we been overcharged for these games in the past?

I like Madden as much as the next guy. I like ESPN too. However, for the most part these games are just updates. Madden doesn't really change its engine. Hasn't since 2001 or so. Yeh it's a great game but why have we been paying these outrageous prices when obviously they could have sold it for a much more reasonable price and still made a healthy profit.

I will not buy Madden on general principle if they do not lower the price by at least 15 bucks.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:23 PM   #18
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:

wwharton said:
Quote:

myownsun said:
I only buy one football game a year thats college and pro but if espn is really only 19.99 i wont have a choice but to pick it up in addition to madden. GO sega

huh?

I only buy one football game, last year madden04 year before that 2k3 But this year if espn is 19.99 then ill get espn and madden 05

I dont know how it will affect madden/ea
Old 06-09-2004, 06:24 PM   #19
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:

coogrfan said:
If the ESPN price drop is legit, will EA feel compelled to drop Madden's price as well? Thoughts?

No i cant see ea dropping there price I HOPE but ya know.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:27 PM   #20
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

myownsun said:
Quote:

wwharton said:
Quote:

myownsun said:
I only buy one football game a year thats college and pro but if espn is really only 19.99 i wont have a choice but to pick it up in addition to madden. GO sega

huh?

I only buy one football game, last year madden04 year before that 2k3 But this year if espn is 19.99 then ill get espn and madden 05

I dont know how it will affect madden/ea

much clearer
Old 06-09-2004, 07:07 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 6

Just to type a little more about this...

I think EA will always be the "bully" in terms of who sets standards and such. The rumor about NFLPA exclusivity was an example of this. Regardless of whether the claim was legit or not, it fit their mission objective IMO.

I think if ESPN is going to price drop, it would have to be a noticeable drop in order for it to "matter." Because if they drop it to $30 (for instance), they are going to lose money compared to selling it at $49. And I don't think dropping it to $30 is enough to add more fans/buyers to make up for the profit hit they are taking by lowering th price. Furthermore, if they would drop it to $20, they would have to sell double (or more) copies in order to reach the profits they would if they had kept the price at $50. These numbers are all speculation, but I am just using them as an example. I don't know what the prices were/will be.

Also, if you lower the price too much, people start to think that the game is mediocre. We, at the forums, know that ESPN or Madden won't be mediocre.

However, someone that doesn't visit forums, doesn't keep up with the gaming news and companies, may see ESPN for $20 and Madden for $50, and figure well, for $20, the product quality is likely inferior, and thus throw the extra money down and buy Madden.

Buyers go to the store ready to spend $50ish on a game, and if they see one for $20, I honestly think they might be partially turned off, because we seem to generally accept the saying that you, "pay for quality."

Honestly, I think it would be best overall if ESPN didn't price drop, even if that means I spend more for the game this year. If they want to remain a contender, they probably want to make a nice profit, and I don't see that happening if they drop the price right away.

People are used to spending $50 on a game, to the point where they become comfortable with it, and when they see a game for less, they get suspicious about why it is so cheap, and possibly also pass on it.

Again, the general game purchaser isn't necessarily the one that goes to the forums, reads game magazines, and is in the "know." Especially when we are talking about a football game. It's arguably the most popular sport in the nation, and therefore "everyone" buys it. Hardcore gamers, and passing fans alike.

With a game that has a very small target audience (rally racing, for instance), the buyers know about the product, what they want, and how much they are going to pay. Because most people buying it are "into" it. With football, you have all kinds of people buying the game.. Some hardcore fans, but a lot more passing fans that are buying on brand recognition alone.

I think ESPN is getting there in terms of being a contender, but people are almost hard coded to buy Madden, because it is THE football game that is played when people get together. Popular and pricey can work, and it does with the Madden series.

ESPN isn't popular in the sense Madden is, but it is improving more and more every year, and eventually it will start to balance out the scale.

However, Madden going online for XBox this year hurts ESPN, because now XBox'ers that were on the fence, can safely fall back on the Madden side.

And it's important to remember that many of the people that buy football games don't read forums, don't read magazines, and don't really know a lot about what the two games have to offer in terms of features and improvements. We do, but many don't, so they buy what their friends do; and that is generally Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2004, 07:23 PM   #22
Tom Brady, L.O.A.T

urlacher51's Arena

OVR: 6

I'am one of those people who only buy madden and Ncaa, but for 19.99 I'll have to get espn 2005. If it was more I would'nt buy it. 19.99 is a great buy.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:44 PM   #23
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

Let's put it this way:

Before the ESPN 2k5 price drop, I was going to get both. Now, I am starting to think that ESPN 2k5 and NCAA Football 2005 may be all I need for football this year as it is a little hard to justify paying $50 for a pro football game when I can already buy a great one for $19! If Madden 2005 was to get a sweet price drop, then it becomes a no-brainer as I would most definitely get both, plus NCAA Football 2005.

However, this is EA we are talking about. The greediest company on the face of the planet. Bottom line, don't hold your breath if you are hoping for any kind of price drop by them. They would charge extra for air if they could.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:00 PM   #24
MVP

Lester206's Arena

OVR: 9

i've been on the fence for a while now on which game to get. i've bought madden for the last few years but ESPN has been looking pretty good lately. so if ESPN is really $20 im definitely gonna buy it over Madden. I usually only buy one football game a year, but if i have extra cash i'll probably buy madden though too.. =/ heh

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »