Home

How will the (apparent) ESPN price drop affect Madden?

This is a discussion on How will the (apparent) ESPN price drop affect Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2004, 06:09 PM   #65
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: How will the (apparent) ESPN price drop affect Madden?

Quote:

wwharton said:
somiss, don't bad mouth madden. it's clear you just want people to switch. in the words of Chris from Family Guy, "GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!"

i could care less what people buy. I'm one of those devoted madden fans of the past that has prepaid for it along with the other football games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2004, 06:09 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

LMAO Graphic...I got baned over there for just speaking my mind I guess? I dont remember cussin, no was I trolling becasue if the was the ESPN thread. My IP has been banned...eh well.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:17 PM   #67
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

SoMiss2000 said:
Quote:

wwharton said:
somiss, don't bad mouth madden. it's clear you just want people to switch. in the words of Chris from Family Guy, "GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!"

i could care less what people buy. I'm one of those devoted madden fans of the past that has prepaid for it along with the other football games.

I know, that's why it's funny. But let me get back on topic. I honestly don't think any of this stuff will effect Madden sales at all THIS year. There may be a few fencers that will pick ESPN b/c of the price but for the most part i think fencers will see it as an opportunity to go ahead and buy both (as someone mentioned above). As for everybody else either they were going to get ESPN anyway or they were going to get Madden and now have a reason to get ESPN too. I think the idea is to build a fanbase for the future and then it's just down to the power of the game. If the game is THAT good then in the future when the people that tried out 2k5 see both on the shelves they may decide to go with ESPN instead of Madden but this year I don't think that's going to happen too much with anyone that wasn't planning on doing it to begin with.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:30 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:

I think the idea is to build a fanbase for the future and then it's just down to the power of the game.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:13 PM   #69
Banned

OVR: 5

Anyone that thinks this will have zero effect on Madden sales is nuts. Anytime a product is sold so cheaply, it's bound to cause shoppers to pick that product instead of another, no matter what the other product is. And, in this case, Madden and ESPN are very close. Yes, there are "certain" people that will buy Madden based on preference, but when people assume that every or most Madden fans are that loyal or convinced Madden is the game to get, they are wrong. The demographics of the fans aren't such that 90 % of Madden fans refuse to consider another football title in place of Madden, especially when one is $20!!! Chances are the majority of Madden buyers will think long and hard before plopping down an extra $30 for this game, when a similar game is such a bargain. I think you'll be surprised, at the effect. Madden will still outsell ESPN, but if the ratio was 10 to 1 for every purchase of Madden compared to ESPN, now it will likely be more along the lines of 5 to 1, maybe higher or lower, but it WILL have an effect. Look at all the people on this thread saying they'll buy ESPN now, or buy both, the majority are in this camp, while only a few are saying "I'll get Madden only." Also notice most that say this refuse to say that it will impact Madden's sales, that is an interesting comment, since there are only a few saying it and it happens to be mostly those refusing to consider ESPN.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:13 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

The scary thing is that VC has to make sure that all there i's are dotted and their t's are crossed this year, otherwise, the price drop won't mean a thing for next year.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:29 PM   #71
MVP

brahmagoul's Arena

OVR: 12

If the ESPN game has improved from its flaws of last year, the game could very well sell more copies than Madden. I don't think it will hurt Madden drastically, but will help ESPN a lot. Many people will buy ESPN instead, while some may buy both now. A lot of guys I know who love Madden were really disappointed with last year's game. But regardless of sales, the ESPN game has to be really good with significant improvements from last year, for the game to build any momentum going into the new platforms coming up. Regardless of Madden being a collector's edition on PS2, a $60 price will deter some buyers regardless of ESPN's lower price.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2004, 07:44 PM   #72
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

realistically I believe for it to outsell Madden it would have to gain 3.6 million sales more than last year, IMO no matter the price that doesn't happen THIS year. Could it happen in the future? Sure, Gameday beat out Madden but for anyone who thinks they have a fighting chance in sales this year is drinking the kool-aid.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »