Home

MADDEN? Where are you

This is a discussion on MADDEN? Where are you within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: MADDEN? Where are you

Quote:

gopadres said:
That's for sure...look what happened with MVP this year. I bet that if it weren't for the saturation coverage, a lot of things would have been overlooked or dismissed.

i still cant believe how this board masturbated for mvp...then just dismissed it when one guy had problems with HR's
Old 06-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #18
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

jordan0386 said:
Quote:

gopadres said:
That's for sure...look what happened with MVP this year. I bet that if it weren't for the saturation coverage, a lot of things would have been overlooked or dismissed.

i still cant believe how this board masturbated for mvp...then just dismissed it when one guy had problems with HR's

It was more than one guy. It was pretty much, um, everyone (who wasn't in denial).
Old 06-22-2004, 05:12 PM   #19
All Star

OVR: 21

The lack of info could be several things. I don't think EA is scared necessarily, but I think many of the things ESPN has done has caught them off guard. Wasn't Madden first out the gate with info about the Hit Stick, and radio show, etc.? They were first out w/videos, although not gameplay vids. Then the IGN ESPN preview dropped, and everyone went a crazy.

I think EA did it's age-old "taking the competition for granted" thing. It's obvious the ESPN announcement about online franchise and live rosters caught them off-guard. Probably thought since ESPN abandoned it last year, they wouldn't attempt it this year - hell, I thought that myself. If EA were planning franchise, it would've been announced at that point, or even earlier. Instead, they throw up a smoke screen and say we have "big news coming in June", which bought them time. Who here DOESN'T expect that news to be online franchise? If it's anything less, people will be disappointed. As it is now, it's almost anticlimatic.

Also, ESPN has been flooding the net with info, putting their game out there naked for all to see. EA may not want a H2H comparison of the games being made for obvious reasons. I think even a hardcore Madden fan would have to admit that ESPN's feature list is far more impressive than Madden's, which is mostly fixes for gameplay issues that arose from last year's game. By not showing their game, they allow people to hold on to the belief that it could be more than what is actually is. Not saying it will be horrible or will be great - just saying that by not having it out there, most of it's fanbase will choose to have an optimistic view rather than a pessimistic view.

Lastly, there's the NCAA factor. EA probably doesn't want Madden stepping on NCAA's toes when it releases. So by not showing Madden vids, more people are likely to jump on NCAA when it comes out. If Madden IS impressive and they were showing a bunch of gameplay vids, it might make people less likely to buy NCAA.

So really, it could be a number of things. I'm leaning towards EA simply getting beaten to the punch and caught unexpected; in which case it's best for them to keep quiet about their product.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:54 PM   #20
PSU
Banned

PSU's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:

Gagnon39 said:
Enough about how everyone will buy Madden anyway. Although you are probably somewhat right there is one other reason people are buying Madden no matter what...NCAA Football. In my opinion (for what its worth), and the reason I'm buying Madden no matter what, is because the import draft class feature is the single greatest feature to happen to football video games since franchise mode. If ESPN would simply create a college game with the NFL engine I'd most likely be playing ESPN. I'm not a Madden fanboy but I AM DEFINATELY a nut about importing draft classes, its like a sports role playing game.

Oh, and just for the record, I'm not trying to start anything so no one should feel the need to defend themselves (or their game) for that matter. I'll be buying ESPN this year as well with the price drop and all.

actually ur probably one of the few who buys madden for just that reason, people actually buy madden cuz they really do enjoy it and not for a dumb reason like that
Old 06-22-2004, 06:45 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:

jordan0386 said:
4 million copies regardless...ea could give a damn about releasing videos

this is espn's yr to shine...hopefully madden comes back strong in 2006

who cares about videos ??? u wanna sit at ur comp and watch a video game being played by someone else just so u can come on here and critique the game before u even play it ?? damn dude u need to relax
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2004, 07:32 PM   #22
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20

Its really strange that Madden hasn't released that much stuff. Nobody is afraid of anygame as long as they have there job, But its just strange it flip things around this year Espn is marketing more then Madden who would have thunk that
Old 06-22-2004, 09:45 PM   #23
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

PSU said:
Quote:

Gagnon39 said:
Enough about how everyone will buy Madden anyway. Although you are probably somewhat right there is one other reason people are buying Madden no matter what...NCAA Football. In my opinion (for what its worth), and the reason I'm buying Madden no matter what, is because the import draft class feature is the single greatest feature to happen to football video games since franchise mode. If ESPN would simply create a college game with the NFL engine I'd most likely be playing ESPN. I'm not a Madden fanboy but I AM DEFINATELY a nut about importing draft classes, its like a sports role playing game.

Oh, and just for the record, I'm not trying to start anything so no one should feel the need to defend themselves (or their game) for that matter. I'll be buying ESPN this year as well with the price drop and all.

actually ur probably one of the few who buys madden for just that reason, people actually buy madden cuz they really do enjoy it and not for a dumb reason like that

Wow, a poster is upset and argues that he'll buy Madden no matter what and he STILL gets a personal attack and from an EA fanboy. This might be a new low.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »