Home

My view on the current Madden series

This is a discussion on My view on the current Madden series within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
My view on the current Madden series

Personally, Madden 2005 appears to be the same game as previous years, with only minimal improvements. I find it disappointing that EA has failed to innovate, both graphically and via gameplay mechanics, for the past 3 years. When I purchased Madden last year, I finally realized that I had been playing basically the same game for years. I'm tired of the comic book visuals and the same gameplay feel. For 2005, I expected a more realistic graphics engine. Instead, the sreenshots and movies that I have seen feature players out of a comic book with upperbodies the size of the Hulk. The Create-A-Fan feature is a futile attempt to combat the presentation embodied in ESPN. With the create-a-fan feature, there is 1 custom created fan to add to the presentation aspect of the game. This is crucially lacking in comparison to ESPN's amazing cutscenes, on-field interviews, half-time show with video highlights, sportscenter segment of the day's games, etc. Additionally, these presentation features in ESPN provide a conduit to the most realistic NFL experience for players. In terms of gameplay, I'm tired of dropping back 15 yards and firing a successful long bomb off the heel of my foot. I'm tired of the unrealistic running game where running backs sometimes just bounce off defenders. I'm tired of the dry and dull commentary from Michaels and Madden. I'm tired of the lack of presentation and atmosphere of the game. Aside from such grievances, I still believe Madden is a solid football game, but one that falls short in taking the intiative to raise the bar for quality each consecutive year.

The problem I have with Madden is that EA has failed to implement appropriate improvements to keep the game fresh and inventive. For example, last year's game featured virtually the same visuals from its predecessor, and the added Playmaker feature. This particular gameplay addition was a great unique idea, but it also constituted the title's only major improvement across all levels of production that year. The end result? Good gameplay akin to years before, but nothing pioneering in terms of the football videogame genre, which resulted in another half-efforted production in my eyes. Imo, madden needs to revamp its graphics engine to conform to the more realistic visuals of ESPN and apply drastic changes in its presentation to fully integrate the player into the football atmosphere.

ESPN will have my money this year for being the most innovative and realistic football game on the market. Hopefully Madden will make the necessary improvements to win back my support in 2006. With the spectacular improvements in ESPN 2K5 this year, the pressure on EA to improve the Madden series is immense. I hope my decision to purchase a football game next year will not be as easy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: My view on the current Madden series

Lets not forget, that EA, has been playing it close to the vest this year. We haven't seen much media, or gameplay of features in action. That being said, its a sports game, that is trying to be a simulation of a product, that doesn't change much from year to year. While you rave about ESPN's game, they too will reach a "writers block" as well, but fortunately for them, they are using there fan base as a source for innovation.

If you can show me besides "instant replay" and athletes getting bigger and faster, a major innovation about the real game that being the NFL over the last 20 years, I will concede in my argument. Its hard trying to make a game for what 3 to 5 platforms, and a college game with a cycle of approxiamately 10 months. This is why I say sports game should never cost the same as regular games i.e. action, rpg, and fps.

So don't be mad at EA, applaud them, for year in and year out, you can look forward to a good to great football game. I will paraphrase with a parody of Dr. Dre's song and insert EA's mantra "We started this _____ ish, and this is the MF ing thanks I get.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
Rookie

i disagree with all of your post madden 2005 doesnt look the same as 2004 plus they improved the gameplay and everything so you cant just judge it now wait till you play it too say it looks the same or plays the same.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:34 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:

backbreaker said:
Lets not forget, that EA, has been playing it close to the vest this year. We haven't seen much media, or gameplay of features in action. That being said, its a sports game, that is trying to be a simulation of a product, that doesn't change much from year to year. While you rave about ESPN's game, they too will reach a "writers block" as well, but fortunately for them, they are using there fan base as a source for innovation.

If you can show me besides "instant replay" and athletes getting bigger and faster, a major innovation about the real game that being the NFL over the last 20 years, I will concede in my argument. Its hard trying to make a game for what 3 to 5 platforms, and a college game with a cycle of approxiamately 10 months. This is why I say sports game should never cost the same as regular games i.e. action, rpg, and fps.

So don't be mad at EA, applaud them, for year in and year out, you can look forward to a good to great football game. I will paraphrase with a parody of Dr. Dre's song and insert EA's mantra "We started this _____ ish, and this is the MF ing thanks I get.

Price is determined by supply and demand. It is clear that there are plenty of people that think each new version is worth $50. Thus they are $50.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:43 PM   #5
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

While I thought last years on field gameplay with Madden was good but not great, I would like to see them make some improvements. (Realistic Defensive schemes, true team specific playbooks, etc), with importing playing from NCAA and the depth of Owners mode the game is still good enough to warrant my 50 bucks.

Although take that with a grain of salt, I buy all the football games every year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2004, 08:04 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 18

but this is what madden fans wanted...tweaks and improvements...the message board community never demanded significant change...you cant be mad at EA...they just make the game their fans want
Old 06-18-2004, 08:24 PM   #7
All Star

p2xgamers's Arena

OVR: 19

Saying Madden 2004 didn't change can be viewed as correct, but I don't see how you can say that Madden 2005 is only making small improvements. A radio station, newspaper coverage, improved graphics, hit stick, improved defense and online play. How is that not "much change"? And what is up with the "comic book" like graphics? Maybe watching a football game sometime, might help you with your judgement of graphics. Now I admit that ESPN Football, in some ways, look much better than Madden 2005, but I wouldn't say that famous ESPN fanboy comment of Madden comic book graphics. Like BKRich and many other people out there, I will be trying all football games out there this year and even though you haven't ever played Madden 2005, I guess you can somehow know how the gameplay and defense will play like. So tell me, how long have you played the game?
Old 06-18-2004, 09:22 PM   #8
PSU
Banned

PSU's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:

nbastreet2 said:
i disagree with all of your post madden 2005 doesnt look the same as 2004 plus they improved the gameplay and everything so you cant just judge it now wait till you play it too say it looks the same or plays the same.

its rather simple, since none of these kids have played madden enough nore understand how to play it, well they cant identify these diffences. EA has added a crapload of stuff every year no matter what peeps say. now i could make a list here of the crap sega puts in year after year that is terrible. u see there is a reason y madden and ea sell more then sega every year. and they always will cuz they get the SIMPLE things right every year which sega just cant grasp for some reason, its the little things that keep bringin people back to madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »