Home

EA, please change the passing mechanics!!!!!

This is a discussion on EA, please change the passing mechanics!!!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
EA, please change the passing mechanics!!!!!

Is anyone else getting tired of the the same old passing concept year after year? I mean mix it up a bit. X to snap, icons come up, hit corresponding button and boom! (as madden would say) the pass is right on the numbers.....boring!!! I'm not a big fan of Microsoft but at least they tried something new with the "read nad lead" passing. At the very least, give me a sense of accomplishment if I complete a pass. I haven't seen a major change in gameplay in 15 years, get creative for gods sake.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: EA, please change the passing mechanics!!!!!

i'm not quite sure what you are expecting...but as far as i know, passing works similar in ESPN and other games as well. (snap the ball, and throw)

Quote:

At the very least, give me a sense of accomplishment if I complete a pass.

If you want to feel like you've "earned" something, adjust the sliders. Search the forums, and you should find some sliders that more accurately reflect a real-life passing game...with off-target throws and very little pass protection...
Old 06-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
Banned

I'm expecting them to do something new, similar to Microsoft's "read and lead" concept. Or something along those lines. This is the first year I'm not really excited for the new releases. It finally hit me that they keep releasing the same game every year with a new cover on it. There is no difference in gameplay between Madden 03 and Madden 04. The menu's and stuff may look a little different but it's essentialy the same game with updated rosters.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
Rookie

I never played Fever...what was so innovative about "read and lead"? Passing is a simple task, i dont see the need to complicate it, IMO...

Quote:

This is the first year I'm not really excited for the new releases. It finally hit me that they keep releasing the same game every year with a new cover on it.

I used to say that a game as good as Madden can only make so many new improvements each year...but then i look at ESPN2K5...and they keep on adding new elements to the GAMEPLAY (qb evade, right-stick juking, etc). I've been strictly a madden gamer for the 2 last years, but now i'm starting to see what the critics have been saying all these years -- minimal improvements every year.

I'm still excited for Madden tho...just more hyped for 2K5.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:

vchadl said:
I'm expecting them to do something new, similar to Microsoft's "read and lead" concept. Or something along those lines. This is the first year I'm not really excited for the new releases. It finally hit me that they keep releasing the same game every year with a new cover on it. There is no difference in gameplay between Madden 03 and Madden 04. The menu's and stuff may look a little different but it's essentialy the same game with updated rosters.

This is the "first" year you realized that? Wow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2004, 02:32 PM   #6
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

vchadl said:

"Read and Lead" was NOT new, it was an improved version of the passing mechanics(move a cursor around the field, throw to that spot) from the old "John Elway Football" arcade game. I wouldn't mind if EA added something like that as an option for those who want it, but only if it didn't replace the default mode.

As for the rest, I strongly disagree. Playmaker control and Owners Mode were two examples of fundamental changes to the way the game was played.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:40 PM   #7
Banned

Sega also did a versin of it in "Joe Montana's football" for the Sega Genesis. I was actually talking onfield play. The franchise stuff is cool but I've never actauly played a whole season because the gameplay just isn't engaging. Either a guy is open and it's a completion or he's covered and it's knocked down or picked. No if an's or but's. You might as well play Tecmo Bowl for the NES. All I'm asking is to have more control or at least have the option for more control. Let me ask everyone this, when was last time (while playing Madden) you threw a pass, the pass was off target, you switched to control your reciever then dove for the pass and caught it? It doesn't happen, you might as well watch a game on tv because you ahve about the same amount of control over the results.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:44 PM   #8
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

Either a guy is open and it's a completion or he's covered and it's knocked down or picked. No if an's or but's.

Really? Somehow my Madden Cowboys didn't get the word, they're forever dropping passes...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »