Home

Does anyone else think that Madden's sales will take a bit hit in 2005

This is a discussion on Does anyone else think that Madden's sales will take a bit hit in 2005 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Does anyone else think that Madden\'s sales will take a bit hit in 2005

I can't help but think that I am not the only one switching from Madden to ESPN Football this year. Origninally, I was just going to get NCAA 2005 (best videogame sports franchise ever) and call it good. But when I heard that ESPN 2K5 was going to be $19.99, I started looking at some of the information for that game and it looks like they have come a long way with it. Now it looks like I'll be getting both of those. Why am I giving up on Madden? Well for one, I never really played it much last year, I just used it to simulate seasons and import my draft classes. The gameplay is just too similar to NCAA for me to get excited about playing virtually the same game with pro players (especially since I'm more of a fan of college football than pro). Anyway, just wondering if anyone else feels the same way. By the way this is not a bash Madden post. There is nothing wrong with the game, I'm just ready for a change and saving $30.00 in the process isn't a bad bonus.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2004, 08:11 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Does anyone else think that Madden\'s sales will take a bit hit in

Big hit in sales? Not a chance.

Yes the price drop in ESPN and the strides that ESPN Football has taken over the last few years is great, but in the long run Madden will still sell a ton of games. Not enough to even cause a blip on EA's radar.

There's people here and there that are making the switch, but overall it's probably .0001% of overall sales for Madden. The amount of sales Madden has every year is so huge that it would take something extremely drastic IMO to cause a big hit in sales.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Maddens sales won't take any hit. More people will just buy both games since ESPNs so cheap.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

I don't think Madden will take a big hit if anything I'd think that with 2k's price drop that for this year more gamers will find themselves in a position where now they'll more than likely to purchase both of them and a lot of first time 2k5 fans will emerge out of this thus giving the game in my estimate the shot it needs to get the game out to a wider group of gamers who would have said no to it,the way it seems now its a matter of ecomomics and affordability...and now with the price drop you can now see something you'd otherwise pass on or just couldn't afford they aren't cheap by any means.

So if you're in a spot where those dollars just scream everytime you step into EB or wherever it is you do you game shoping then it shouldn't be too painful and at twenty bucks its a sweet deal,at least my wife thinks so and this time she didn't raise her eyebrow so I'm safe on that one(this time).

But once again no I don't think Madden will Feel any hits this year then again VC was the buzz this year and was a big hit at the E3 show this year...yes the were a big hit there fellas and the G4TV network has been sportin' em' big time with their shows constantly along with the entire 2k5 line up and Madden Bowl partys ect,ect.

Holla Back
Rickster101
Old 07-11-2004, 08:55 PM   #5
Rookie

I don't think madden will match last year's record breaking sales. There were alot of hype surrounding madden and Vick last year with all the advertisments and etc... Even people who don't normally play football games bought the game. IMO less people will buy it this year in general. Madden sales may not take a hit but if they plan to release it alot earlier than expected to counter ESPN, then it will likely hurt ncaa sales. This year, madden has been pretty quiet and I believe that EA will rely on last year's success to sell the game. (less advertisements)

Will ESPN take a big hit out of Madden's sales no... Will ESPN appeal to fever and gameday's fanbase? Very likely. How much madden outsells ESPN is unknown, But this year, I believe that ESPN will close the gap in sales, gameplay, and fanbase.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2004, 09:27 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:

m12x13adass said:
I don't think madden will match last year's record breaking sales. There were alot of hype surrounding madden and Vick last year with all the advertisments and etc... Even people who don't normally play football games bought the game. IMO less people will buy it this year in general. Madden sales may not take a hit but if they plan to release it alot earlier than expected to counter ESPN, then it will likely hurt ncaa sales. This year, madden has been pretty quiet and I believe that EA will rely on last year's success to sell the game. (less advertisements)

Will ESPN take a big hit out of Madden's sales no... Will ESPN appeal to fever and gameday's fanbase? Very likely. How much madden outsells ESPN is unknown, But this year, I believe that ESPN will close the gap in sales, gameplay, and fanbase.

I agree completely. For those that think that ESPN price drop will lead to more people getting both games, well ESPN comes out ahead of Madden, so if people get it and like it, why would you want to pro football games. I was say that the people who will own both of those games will be as one of you said earlier .00001%
Old 07-11-2004, 09:57 PM   #7
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Hold on a sec there bro there are people who do buy both titles and some even buy them all or at least rent,and besides there is something in having a variety to choose from as in having more than just one style of gameplay.

What I'm saying here is that if you've loved Madden or ESPN for years whats harm would it case to have them both like a lot of people do if they can afford to have a collection like that and how can you comment or post information,exchange ideas and share experences on a game you haven't played for any extended amout of time I don't mean just a couple of days I mean spending time and getting a feel for the game.

I'm not saying buy them all but if given the chance to expierence something new and unique and if you love football then I'm sure you'd find time to at least try and see if you like the game.

For me its tough every year because I like them both and play them both so if I give a opion about it I'm not talkin'smack I know because I've played and own such a game and most times I find myself buying or renting a lot of different titles and genre of game,I've purchased and am currently getting through "The Chonicles of Riddick" Escape From Buchers Bay" so as you can see I play,watch and read a lot of stuff about video games and electonics in general.

Do yourself a big service and get them both while its a good deal now and if you like em' both keep em' if not all you gotta do is take it back or get an exchange or something,and like I said before a lot of gamers are gonna see something different from what they've been use to and change in most cases can be good.

Nobody's gonna go back-rupt maybe a little hic-cup but nothing they both can't handle(the game companys)as for the consumer buy the game get em' both 19.99 is a steal.

Holla Back
Rickster101
Old 07-11-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
Rookie

I am getting 2 football games this year but neither one of them will be Madden. I'm moving on. I just don't need 2 games that are so similar in gameplay (NCAA & Maddent) especially when I'm more of a college football fan. Hey, if you guys want to spend $120.00 on football games so be it. I can't and don't want to anyway.

On a side note, notice how many people are in the three major football forums here. I know it's a small piece of the gaming community but WOW. Madden with on average 5-15 people. ESPN usually around 50-60 viewing and NCAA 100+ viewing almost all the time. It wasn't that way the last few years so some people are certainly making the switch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »