Home

IGN review at this link

This is a discussion on IGN review at this link within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2004, 01:59 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: IGN review at this link

people would of found inconsistencies regardless...nature of the beast
Old 08-06-2004, 02:07 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0386
people would of found inconsistencies regardless...nature of the beast
True. But it is also the nature of the beast to play favorites (for whatever reason). The Xbox gets lots of flack for being owned by the monopolist Microsoft. Likewise, we have the payola theories predicated on the fact that reviewers have much to gain by being "nice" to Madden. Inertia is a powerful force for the "new kid on the block" to overcome. "Nature of the beast" isn't explanatory. Its an excuse.

A .8 shift is more than a small inconsistency. One need not look hard to find it and it warrants explanation. Does Madden's gameplay and franchise mode swamp ESPN that much? (I personally hope so.)
Old 08-06-2004, 02:10 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 4

The reviews are all opinions. Of course with scores like 9.4 and 9.5 we can be sure that both games are great. Besides, isn't everyone already used to Madden getting better reviews on IGN? They have done it since the new Madden engine debuted on the PS2. I do however LOVE the new QB spy feature in Madden. I play ESPN online and I hate to have cheesers sneak for first downs EVERYTIME. The QB spy feature is there, it just doesn't work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2004, 02:10 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 18

hey, i've made my position clear on your last paragraph, very loudly in these two forums, LMAO

but we still gotta play the games...95 and 94 means madden isnt that much better, but we'll see
Old 08-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #53
Pro

CptObvious's Arena

OVR: 9

"If you only have $20.00, beg someone for $30.00 more and buy yourself a copy of Madden. It's a close call, but someone has to win, just ask the Panthers."

This absolutely RUINED the review from my standpoint, it ceased being a review and became an advertisement. I am going to buy this years version based on the info I have gathered from various OTHER media outlets...but IGN's "review" has made my decision to stop handing them $24.95 a year for their forums a much easier one. Why would someone actually recommend NOT buying ESPN if you only have 20 bucks? I think its plainly obvious what the answer is. Beg for 30 more dollars? Give me a break.

Also, I have to remind everyone he gave NFL STREET a 9.2
Old 08-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #54
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I don't like the score at all......not that Madden doesn't deserve the score. It seems it was scored to simply spite ESPN. If you are going to give a score.....base it on what you truly feel it deserved it got instead of what score the other game got that was reviewed by a different reviewer. It's f'n shady.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:00 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 8

Actually, what's sort of funny is that I called this 2 weeks ago over at MM (the JR would do the review and madden would get a 9.5). Jon Robinson is one of the most biased reviewers I've ever seen. It's not the fact that Madden got a 9.5, which it may deserve, it's the fact that he takes pot shots at other games in every review or article he does. He's the same guy that wrote the infamous 'sega fanboy' news article last summer. Pretty unprofessional, esp. his closing comments.

Taylor34
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2004, 10:29 PM   #56

Bruins's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Throw too many picks or run a player into the ground, and no, they won't retire so they can smoke some more weed, but their ratings will take a hit.
Haha!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »