Home

Two Things (or maybe it's one)

This is a discussion on Two Things (or maybe it's one) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Two Things (or maybe it's one)

I just got Madden and have goofed a bit with practice mode and played one half of an exhibition game so far, Browns against the Bills.

Not to harp on the bad (but I'll do it anyhow), but tell me this--

First a question:

What is one of the most frequently called penalities in the NFL?

(I'll give eveyone a few minutes to ponder this. Grab a pen and paper. Make a list of at least three.)

Offensive Holding?

Indeed, that would be one of my top few choices.

Now, we all know how John Madden the man is proud of the fact that Madden gets more like the real game every year.

Since this is true, I'm curious: why do I see so few Offensive Holding calls?

(On a side note, and a little bit OT, I've played 15 games of the latest ESPN NFL 2K5 and I've seen ONE OH call.)

I'd like to know what others have seen regarding OH in Madden.

Thanks,

Alanb
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2004, 03:54 PM   #2
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Two Things (or maybe it's one)

Did you adjust the sliders? Every game has a problem with penalties. I have ESPN sliders maxed out and I see 1 holding call like every 3 or 4 games and have yet to see a false start call. I'm not sure why companies can't or won't get this right.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5
Smile Re: Two Things (or maybe it's one)

What is your holding penalty slider set to? Max it out if you feel you are not getting enough calls.

If you just started the playing the game I bet the holding slider is at default.

Damn, DSpezzano beat me to the post!
Old 08-09-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I've noticed it too. I haven't touched the penalty sliders yet though, so I'm sure it's easily fixable. Hey, at least this is better than the non-stop holding in NCAA that only seems to occur when you get a big play.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
Rookie

Smile Re: Two Things (or maybe it's one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdderlySexyCows
I've noticed it too. I haven't touched the penalty sliders yet though, so I'm sure it's easily fixable. Hey, at least this is better than the non-stop holding in NCAA that only seems to occur when you get a big play.
Wow! Someone else experiences this too! Isn't that just awful! 20 yard run...BAM, holding! Everytime. Well, if they didn't hold, I guess I wouldn't have gotten 20 yards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2004, 04:00 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Man, it gets ridiculous sometimes. Once I completed a third down and 15 or so pass for a first down. Holding, of course. Then I manage to complete a third down and 25 pass. HOLDING AGAIN. And this is with a O-line that is junior-senior across the board, with all mid-high 90s ratings(that's Wisconsin baby). I felt like breaking something.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodKid
What is your holding penalty slider set to? Max it out if you feel you are not getting enough calls.

If you just started the playing the game I bet the holding slider is at default.

Damn, DSpezzano beat me to the post!

That's the first thing I did, maxed the slider. Nothing.

Penalities do so much to change the momentum. If I were designing a game (and I think if a two year-old was doing the same), I'd make sure the penalty situation was close to reality.

Alanb
Old 08-09-2004, 04:16 PM   #8
Rookie

Most frequent penalty is probably false start, actually. But holding is right up there.

And even with the slider maxed out, you still see at most 1-2 holding penalties in a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »