Home

Honestly, is anyone underwhelmed

This is a discussion on Honestly, is anyone underwhelmed within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2004, 11:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Honestly, is anyone underwhelmed

Guys, I am trying, I really am. I loved ESPN 2k5 this year, but started to read all the reviews of Madden being supreme. The IGN one seemed a little biased to me, but when almost every web site other than Game spot is declaring Madden the best football game, what do I know, I was thinking it must be good. No, not good, awesome. So I pre-ordered right away and rushed to the store to pick it up.
Anyway, I have three things that have just RUINED this game for me. First, the lack of changing the controls. This is unacceptable. Madden has always had this, why did they get rid of it. I have played 5 games right now and I still can't get the controller down, I never know if I am sprinting or changing guys, it is so frustrating to get into because of this. I know I will get used to the different set up eventually, but I am so frustrated with it, I just want to give up.
Next is the running game, I loved all the options with the right stick on ESPN with the double jukes, stops and starts, shuffles, etc. With Madden it is just no fun, I run one way, get hit and fall.
Finally, I can't get over how a quarterback can make these 50 yard bombs when he is in the middle of being tackled by a defender. It is absolute bull****. When the game is trying so hard to be a great sim of football, this is terrible. It is infuriating to get so close to a sack, be on top of the QB's back and as he is falling he is able to wing a 40 yrd'er across field to the open receiver. That just doesn't happen, he should have to step into that throw to complete that pass.
Honestly, I am not trying to bash the game, but I just don't get it. A lot of you are Madden lovers, what am I missing. What makes this game so great in your eyes. Can someone please help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Honestly, is anyone underwhelmed

You do know you can juke,spin and stiff arm in madden right?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
Rookie

Dkrause's Arena

OVR: 2

I don't have madden 2005 but have been reading the boards for espn and madden alot. That i am reading is that both games are very, very good. Its kinda like Pepsi versus Coke drinkers. Both have a fav and both stick up for it (remember pepsi came much later than coke).

If Madden made the changes i am reading from a majority of posts, then the franchise mode being more polished, QB not dropping back 15-25 yards and throwing perfect bombs and the RB cuts being smoother then Maddenites got exactly what they wanted in that is a preferred style of football and argueably a better overall game.

I personally have bought Madden every year since the original until this year. IF i continue to read the Madden love 2-3 weeks from now i probably will breakdown and at least rent it. I really like Espn and Pepsi. Maybe, the maddenites are coke people.

Don
Old 08-09-2004, 11:19 PM   #4
MVP

FloridaGators's Arena

OVR: 11

The controls can be learned in a couple of hours of play.

The running and passing 50 yards when being tackled is a viable concern.

I thought the Madden 2005 run game could be poor this year. I expect Madden 2006's platform will be the Year of the Runner, when they totally redo the running game with something out of NBA Live, freestyle running.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:29 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

I know you can juke and stiff arm and stuff, but it seems that their is so much more control of my runner in ESPN. But, on the flip side, a lot of people do not like tapping their buttons to go faster, it doesn't bother me, but I do know that many people complain about this in ESPN.
I guess I am just very frustrated with a few things right now, I guess I read so much about how great this game is that I may have hyped myself up too much.
Another thing that I do not like is the lack of replays after big plays, the replays that they do show are usually lousy, although every once in awhile they will show a lineman just plow through of defender which is awesome.
I was pleasantly surprised with the graphics though, although it is not a pretty as ESPN, I actually really like some of the little touches in the game with the stadium models, and the rain drops on the field and puddles building up during rain.
I will play it some more and who knows, maybe after I really get into the game I will feel differently
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2004, 11:37 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Wait, you can't change the controls anymore? You have to play with a different speed burst button on offense and defense?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »