Home

Madden always seems more strategic too me

This is a discussion on Madden always seems more strategic too me within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2004, 12:15 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 11
Madden always seems more strategic too me

In ESPN it always seems like whatever you do whatever formation its just about the offense executing almost, not to the extreme degree of Madden '04 online, but I have had plenty of 50 points or more games. In Madden I feel like if I take a guy off someone to blitz it will be a huge exploit, but if it succeeds its a huge advantage. I think there is much more risk when picking plays and the rewards for choosing it at the right time and the strategy succeeding is a much greater reward. I think the risk.reward is much closer to real-life and that despite any slight gameplay flaws there will always be a counter, and the counter is a solid one.

Does anyone think that EA does a really good job of doing this? It adds alot of strategy and adds to fun of the game, but it does also make it more like read football, you will notice if you are blitzing with a CB, the defense won't be good enough to stop the WR if the QB can recognize what to do in time also.

This is basically my explanation why I think Madden's gameplay actually feels like a more realistic game, its very balanced game on both sides, very strategic its more strategy and then all you have to do is execute. Football may not be the most mental sport interms of a player, but the QB and coaches have to be smart, the coaches are perhaps the most valuable part of a team and I think Madden does a excellent job of emulating it on and off the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2004, 12:22 AM   #2
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Madden always seems more strategic too me

Then you don't have the setting correct in ESPN if you're scoring 50 or more a game, period. Or maybe , I guess , you're just that good.
Anyways Madden never felt like to me that there was any strategy involved. I never really got the feeling that I as a "player" ever made a difference when playing D. That is why I am praying to G that ,this year, there will in fact be some strategy involved with Madden. Madden has had a problem with the basic X's and O's of football for a while. The franchise stuff is top notch however and I'm hoping that the on field stuff catches up to it soon and hopefully "soon" is this year.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:31 AM   #3
MVP

The DBs in ESPN will go for picks when they shouldn't or start running circles, run in the wrong direction or do the wrong animation, one of these every other down almost. So that might be whats doing it too, but even when the DBs don't do something stupid i still feel this way. Then combined with how you can get 100 yds rushing with any qb in the game etc.

Then quick slants work about 90% and posts work 75% for me. Even on legend.

I think All-Madden has slightly better gameplay then Legend on ESPN this year. Plust the fracnhise mode actualy "works"!!

Also I'm talking about 2005, I said Madden always seems like it is more strategic, but what I really meant is it seems more strategic in the games I play.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:41 AM   #4
MVP

faster's Arena

OVR: 13

I've always thought the exact opposite. that ESPN seemed like they always found mismatches and such, and EA games you could toss it 30 yards and bomb away and get bailed out.

i actually think both games are too easy to pass in. ESPN, even with sliders adjusted is just too easy to pass. i haven't dug much into Madden, but first impressions on All-Pro were that passing would need tweaking to be hard. no, i'm not a super-gamer, but maybe after playing football games for 10+ years, you start to understand how everything works.

sigh.... damn video games....
Old 08-10-2004, 12:48 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguit
I've always thought the exact opposite. that ESPN seemed like they always found mismatches and such, and EA games you could toss it 30 yards and bomb away and get bailed out.

i actually think both games are too easy to pass in. ESPN, even with sliders adjusted is just too easy to pass. i haven't dug much into Madden, but first impressions on All-Pro were that passing would need tweaking to be hard. no, i'm not a super-gamer, but maybe after playing football games for 10+ years, you start to understand how everything works.

sigh.... damn video games....
Play on All-Madden, that is supposed to be where the real challenge is at, and it is twice as realistic than all-pro with and with no sliders.

again im talking about this year. this year its almost random what ESPNs DBs do and nomatter what defense you play it just seems like you have to hope the wr drops the ball like they do pretty often and the db actually does something right.

In previous years of madden you could throw anything fo ra completion.

Now I kinda feel like they flip flopped, ESPNs db AI has gotten mysteriously worse from last year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2004, 01:00 AM   #6
MVP

faster's Arena

OVR: 13

i just want ESPN to completely redo the DB AI... it's poor either way. WRs are always open... stupid post routes.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz50
The DBs in ESPN will go for picks when they shouldn't or start running circles, run in the wrong direction or do the wrong animation, one of these every other down almost. So that might be whats doing it too, but even when the DBs don't do something stupid i still feel this way. Then combined with how you can get 100 yds rushing with any qb in the game etc.

Then quick slants work about 90% and posts work 75% for me. Even on legend.

I think All-Madden has slightly better gameplay then Legend on ESPN this year. Plust the fracnhise mode actualy "works"!!

Also I'm talking about 2005, I said Madden always seems like it is more strategic, but what I really meant is it seems more strategic in the games I play.
Uh.... Can I have an opinion?
Yes if you cheese IN ANY GAME you can score points. But since you decided to go the FB route....Out patterns in Madden are money every time, slants in Madden also work far far too often, DB's take themselves out of the play when they go into thier catch/intercept animation(This is still in 2005 version as seen in IGN video) etc etc..

In ESPN there are some graphical glitches, slants work too well, the corner patern is still a little too easy to complete, franchise needs some work.

Now Madden 2005 version could be different and that is what I'm trying to find out from people who have the game and those with an open, non FB mind.
I want a gamers opinion not a "developer/franchise loyal" gamer.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:28 PM   #8
Legen - WAIT FOR IT

Pared's Arena

OVR: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Uh.... Can I have an opinion?
Yes if you cheese IN ANY GAME you can score points. But since you decided to go the FB route....Out patterns in Madden are money every time, slants in Madden also work far far too often, DB's take themselves out of the play when they go into thier catch/intercept animation(This is still in 2005 version as seen in IGN video) etc etc..

In ESPN there are some graphical glitches, slants work too well, the corner patern is still a little too easy to complete, franchise needs some work.

Now Madden 2005 version could be different and that is what I'm trying to find out from people who have the game and those with an open, non FB mind.
I want a gamers opinion not a "developer/franchise loyal" gamer.

Actually Sky, with the new "playmaker zone" you can cover those things... The "D" works pretty damn well... a lot better from what I've seen in ESPN this year at least.

Can't say I would've posted the same last year... as Madden '04 was an offensive minded player's dream....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »