Home

Ten things you NEED to know before competing in the Madden Challenge

This is a discussion on Ten things you NEED to know before competing in the Madden Challenge within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2004, 01:47 AM   #1
MVP

Venom_2K's Arena

OVR: 7
Talking Ten things you NEED to know before competing in the Madden Challenge

I thought that I would share this top ten list that I found over at easports.com madden challenge message boards. This top ten list is for you to get prepared for the tournament whenever/if you compete in one.

1. Get enough sleep

2. eat a good breakfast

3. wear comfortable clothes

4. stay with your game plan for your game

5. don't get nervous

6. don't listen to the crowd, they're won't be on your side

7. if your not a smack talking type of guy, stay quiet

8.have at least 2 playbooks (for offense and defense I guess what he's talking about, I don't know about that one)

9. don't get upset at your oppenet if you play a bad game, get mad at the game instead

10. before you go play in the tournament, say a prayer

I thought that this was very informational for new people who will be playing in this year's tournament.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2004, 01:52 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Ten things you NEED to know before competing in the Madden Challenge

yeah i'm playin in the challenge this saturday and i don't even have the game yet
Old 08-10-2004, 02:39 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

11. Bring some crackers and a case of salami, because the cheese will be stinking up the room.

I had a friend play in the denver tourney, a few years ago, and he said that almost all of the so called good players, exploited the AI flaws beyond realistic bounderies that the games basically became cheese fests and were'nt very fun.

Alot of cheese "plays" or ways of playing cannot be stopped AT ALL and for those that use them and know how to use them perfectly, i think you should move onto other bigger and better things.

but thats what people will do for money, and to win.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:26 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

what's an example of a Madden money play? I play "the other game" but was wondering if you mean like blocking kicks or a style of play or what is it they do?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyHoppIII
11. Bring some crackers and a case of salami, because the cheese will be stinking up the room.

I had a friend play in the denver tourney, a few years ago, and he said that almost all of the so called good players, exploited the AI flaws beyond realistic bounderies that the games basically became cheese fests and were'nt very fun.

Alot of cheese "plays" or ways of playing cannot be stopped AT ALL and for those that use them and know how to use them perfectly, i think you should move onto other bigger and better things.

but thats what people will do for money, and to win.
yep, I was gonna add "Get some wine for all that cheese you'll be seeing"...I played in an ESPN tourney that came by me last year, finished 4th, but the guy I lost to subbed in WR's for TE's, and even had a WR at QB a few times. He was just a total cheeser, which annoyed me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2004, 03:15 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondock
what's an example of a Madden money play? I play "the other game" but was wondering if you mean like blocking kicks or a style of play or what is it they do?

I'm not familiar with the exact play but there are money plays which are basically just standard plays in the playbook which always work, whether it's a slant route up the middle, someone is either always open, or the pass can always get to the receiver flawlessly...

I'm not taking anything away from Madden or ESPN because of the cheesers, but I just don't see why people get so worked up for a Madden Tourney. and the winners, who by all means deserve whatthey get because they wasted all that time waiting and playing... but don't get worked up about it because I honestly don't think anyone and i mean anyone can play sound defense, non cheese, style and win a damn tourney.

ive always told myself this, if my 9 year old cousin, who barely knows a thing about football, can beat me in Madden, a sport and game I've been following for 9 years, playing the way he does (running with vick, playing on an allstar team), than there is no way I can beat him without converting to his cheese, "non football" techniques...... It's not about me being bad, because when we play "real football", I can beat him. and by real football i mean, when he doesnt go for it on 4th down every play.

It's a great game, when played the right way. unforunately tell that to the majority of "tourney players" who unforunately have to convert to the cheese because thats the only way to win, and by converting you only make it worse.

There are SOOOO many ai flaws in many of these games that making any sort of non cheese rules is very tough to do, and in essence will take away from the experience..... I'm almost certain that there are no rules of this matter in madden tourneys...
Old 08-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yeah I kinda agree.

I watched the Madden Challange championships on G4TV last year.
Almost everyone used The Falcons.
The Championship was Falcons v Falcons
They all cheesed like hell with Vick over and over.
They all jetpacked badly, run around with Vick, throw it up to Finneran or Price, switch, adjust, switch off and make the catch, over and over. It was funny to watch. And no one cared either because they all did it. They DID, however, have excellent stick skills and knew how to work the running game as well. The scores didnt get TOO inflated, because they were all also excellent at playing user controlled defense.
Still funny to watch all the cheese.

I have a feeling that this year may be a tad different, though. They took out a lot of that stuff, with all the new controls that you can use. Jetpacking and throwing off the back foot are gone. With the new defensive controls, you can defend almost any play with the right combination of defensive hot routes and defensive playmaker controls. The cheesers will still exploit flaws, but it may not be quite as rampad this yeah as last year. Congrats to EA for that.
And congrats to you for making it to the end of this post.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:35 PM   #8
MVP

Venom_2K's Arena

OVR: 7

Bump

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »