Home

Our Madden 2005 Review

This is a discussion on Our Madden 2005 Review within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2004, 10:58 PM   #41
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Our Madden 2005 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossen
We did consider this.

However, the meta-review sites (gamerankings and the like) are an important consideration. We need to score to "advertise" the review.
I totally hear you and absolutely understand the rationale. I hope you didn't take it as a criticism b/c I love how you guys do things here. It was more of a statement to the ratings readers who ignore everything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2004, 11:28 PM   #42
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Even if it was criticism, it's not like it's completely unwarranted. These are things that need to be asked. To be honest, I expected a lot more calling for my head by now.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:05 AM   #43
Pr*

SEGA_LOYAL_FAN's Arena

OVR: 11

Thnx for the Review TCrouch. I always wait for a balanced and fair review for all my sports games from OS(not that you have the final say in my purchase). I've heard people that have only played 2k say things like "wow Madden is pretty serious this year.". I'll give it a crack(rent) this weekend. I can see EA still haven't fixed a bunch of things(running, qb animations) and also some other things that EA finally decided to factor into the game as an important part of the game(Defense, player controll). I will have to disagree right away though without playing the game that you say its less cumbersome to set D-hot routes is much easier(but i guess it also has to go with how much time you have put into learning all the controlls).

I do believe both games offer an acquired taste that only true followers will appreciate and newcomers will either dislike after first game or will just take time to like it(ESPN & Madden). I truthfully can say that i hated Madden even in the 16 bit era and prefered Quarterback Club football until 2k series came along.

Other than that i dont see anything wrong with 2k5 as i actually feel this is the first year VC has actually tweaked instead of created a new engine(to try to perfect). It's true that the DB's just dont act on flag routes half the time(online) but offline they are on point(also probly do to my sliders adjustment). Again thnx for the second best and non biased review of Madden on the net. For the sake of OS reviews and football i will give it my full attention when i get a chance.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:07 AM   #44
MVP

Venom_2K's Arena

OVR: 7

Good review man, I'm REALLY am enjoying this year's Madden then some other Madden's in the past. That is not a knock on past Madden's at all, it's just my opinion.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:38 PM   #45
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

TCrouch,

Excellent review, not just for the information and critique, but for the writing as well. I enjoy reflection within a review toward specifics of games past. It gives the reader a better understanding of where you're coming from.

I've found a comfortable mix of sliders at the all-pro level that seems to emulate the parts of all-madden that I like with other parts that I have not the skill to handle. I'm too old, in other words.

Madden does beat ESPN, yet in a frustrating kind of way. I hope the new systems lead to a more ESPN-like presentation, yet with the subtle nuances and realism of Madden's approach and gameplay.

Good work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2004, 12:58 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
Even if it was criticism, it's not like it's completely unwarranted. These are things that need to be asked. To be honest, I expected a lot more calling for my head by now.
Off with your head!

:P
Old 08-12-2004, 01:06 PM   #47
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
seriously...I think the review is great, informative, and very well written...however, I also expected the virtual lynch mob to be heading at Terry by now
Old 08-12-2004, 01:45 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGA_LOYAL_FAN
Thnx for the Review TCrouch. I always wait for a balanced and fair review for all my sports games from OS(not that you have the final say in my purchase). I've heard people that have only played 2k say things like "wow Madden is pretty serious this year.". I'll give it a crack(rent) this weekend. I can see EA still haven't fixed a bunch of things(running, qb animations) and also some other things that EA finally decided to factor into the game as an important part of the game(Defense, player controll). I will have to disagree right away though without playing the game that you say its less cumbersome to set D-hot routes is much easier(but i guess it also has to go with how much time you have put into learning all the controlls).

I do believe both games offer an acquired taste that only true followers will appreciate and newcomers will either dislike after first game or will just take time to like it(ESPN & Madden). I truthfully can say that i hated Madden even in the 16 bit era and prefered Quarterback Club football until 2k series came along.

Other than that i dont see anything wrong with 2k5 as i actually feel this is the first year VC has actually tweaked instead of created a new engine(to try to perfect). It's true that the DB's just dont act on flag routes half the time(online) but offline they are on point(also probly do to my sliders adjustment). Again thnx for the second best and non biased review of Madden on the net. For the sake of OS reviews and football i will give it my full attention when i get a chance.
Sega Fan, you say that your 2K5 sliders have fixed the way the DB's react...can you post them in the 2K5 Sliders thread?

BTW, excellent review -- although you know what I would like to see? Reviews of both games by both reviewers. Two reviews may sound odd, but I would at least like to see what kind of impressions the ESPN reviewer has of Madden after having played ESPN and if it effects how he feels about ESPN.

We know that the ESPN reviewer loved ESPN and the Madden review really liked Madden, and liked it slightly more than ESPN. Also, thank you for doing an excellent job of actually criticizing the weak gameplay points of both games rather than just going on about the hit stick or franchise or all the other features we've read about a gazillion times already. All in all, excellent reviews.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »