Home

Rookie scouting strategies?

This is a discussion on Rookie scouting strategies? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2004, 12:29 AM   #1

Bruins's Arena

OVR: 29
Rookie scouting strategies?

I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes time to scout the rookies. Do any of you have good strategies that you use? Like what exactly should I do when scouting? Basically, I'm looking for tips/info about scouting.

Thanks guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2004, 12:48 AM   #2
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Rookie scouting strategies?

Well, here is what I usually do.

Before the draft, I identify positions that I need to fill with either, a starter because of lack of talent, or a player who might be a starter when my current player at the position retires.

Then, I check out the free-agency list. You can do this by going to Roster, then choosing, Free Agents. For example, (not realistic), lets say I'm the Cardinals, and I need a QB. I check out the FA list, and maybe someone such as, Jake Delhomme is available, for whatever reason. Then I weigh out if I need him now, or would be better off drafting a top notch QB?

Then, I scout the players I have decided I will try and draft, and address the other needs thru free-agency. Then I scout those positions, I start out checking out a few first rounders, because you never know who will be available. If in the process of scouting, I find a few negative things about the player. Whether its his poor 40 time, his strength, his interview, or something my scouts tell me, then I will usually stop scouting that player.

In the end, just scout the positions you need, and after you have identified a few players, who should be available rounds 1-3, then you are well set. I usually don't spend much on players projected in the later rounds, because you don't have enough to find the best players if you do that. So I usually I just simulate the later rounds, 5-7, if I have no idea who to draft, mostly because the computer has a good idea who is rated well.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:52 AM   #3
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19

Here's what I do, which isn't very detailed or complete, but I am used to it and it is usually pretty good for me:

-Make sure you know what two posisitons you want with your first two picks. If you need a DE and have the #15 pick, scout all DEs rated 1st and 2nd round. If your other biggest need is HB, do the same for them. Each week you should narrow your choices down based on the comments and what type of player you want(you probably won't want an injury prone guy or a guy who has a bad attitude). By the end of the 3 scouting weeks you should have a good idea of what you want to do, I usually "rate" the players I want in order, and if my #1 is there, I take him and then pick a guy of my 2nd needed position in the 2nd round, you get the idea....

-You won't use all 15 points each week on your two biggest needs, so I use my other points in two different ways:
-first week(when speeds and info aren't there), I look for possible 3rd round choices
-2nd/3rd weeks I look for diamonds in the rough. I look for LB's with decent 40 times and great/amazing tackling that are listed as late round picks. Or look for really fast DEs. Maybe try to find a good kick returner. Or a blocking TE/FB. There are quite a few guys out there in this game that will help you if you know what you need. If you have a DE whos contract will run out in a year or two, take a chance on drafting a speedy DE in the late rounds, maybe he'll turn out to be a good pass rusher.

The thing for me is that only the first 2 or 3 rounds can consistantly yield solid contributing players. So I try to make sure I have a good idea of who I want with my first few picks(by starting with broad scouting and narrowing them down based on specific needs). Then i try to see if there are any guys out there who might be underprojected, if a guy is projected in the 4th and has 4th round talent, he most likely won't ever be very useful to you. Most of the time with my last few picks I just pick based on who was projected to go high, if there's a guy who's supposed to be a 2nd rounder still left in the 6th, I'll take him even if I don't need that position....

My method is pretty poor I'm sure, not very thorough but I usually end up with a good idea of what to do with my most important picks and have a couple possible diamonds in the rough on my radar as well.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:15 AM   #4
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

I agree with your method on the diamonds in the rough.

Even if you haven't scouted a player much, such as a linebacker, if he has decent strength, decent speed, and good or better tackling, he could be a player.

The game often downgrades linebackers with poor hands, which isn't a huge issue for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »