Home

Nice Madden VS. ESPN comparison at Gamespot

This is a discussion on Nice Madden VS. ESPN comparison at Gamespot within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2004, 12:18 PM   #41
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Nice Madden VS. ESPN comparison at Gamespot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugblast
I see many more plays with ESPN, sorry.
1. Do you own both?
2. If you do, then count them on both sides of the ball.

Its that simple. Show me I'm wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2004, 12:20 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
1. Do you own both?
2. If you do, then count them on both sides of the ball.

Its that simple. Show me I'm wrong.
Uh, yeah, and I am correct.
Show me I'm wrong.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:27 PM   #43
Pro

OVR: 6

I have both and agree with the review for the most part.

I think Madden has been around so long now that many people are starting to get bored with it. I for one couldn't care less if every game statistically comes out right in Madden, it just feels so damn scripted and uneventful that I don't care if I just recreated last years super bowl stats to a tee. It is not a presentation issue, I skip all the cutscenes in ESPN, it is just a feeling I get while playing Madden that the players feel so dull that it makes me believe I am interacting with a cartoon, just need to press the right button at the right time, kind of like the old "Dragon's Lair" at the arcade.

I think this is where the separation begins with fans of one or the other series, the fans of Madden don't see this problem and are happy to be getting good satistical results. More power to them, but I bet the guys at gamespot feel this way and are slamming Madden too hard because of it while ignoring some of the gameplay ssues in ESPN (which can be fixed with MAJOR slider work that you shouldn't have to do).
Old 08-16-2004, 12:28 PM   #44
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugblast
Uh, yeah, and I am correct.
Show me I'm wrong.
I'll post my findings when I get home from work. This should be fun.
I'll count the Raiders' offensive plays and defensive plays in both games and post them in this thread.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:39 PM   #45
MVP

Dondadda's Arena

OVR: 11

[quote=charles167]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondadda

But on to the games. In my opinion, and my opinion only, ESPN owns Madden in every single category besides franchise and "polish." Madden's gameplay is light years . . . and I mean light years behind that of ESPN. Running, passing, defense, playcalling, hot routes, etc. are all more advanced and realistic in ESPN. QUOTE]

Before I discuss your other points. Defense is better in ESPN????

I mean some points are arguable, but this year, as far as Defense goes Madden is hands down better.
I strongly, strongly disagree. ESPN is heads and tails superior to Madden in terms of defensive playcalling and pre-snap adjustments. Once you get into the play on the field, the ESPN coders did not use cheap short-cuts in their LB and DB routines like the guys at Tiburon did. ESPN defense plays realistically . . . guys make mistakes, swarm to the ball in accordance with their ability, work together well (especially on the front 7), and look great when tackling.

As for these defensive "glitches" . . . I don't believe in them. NEWSFLASH: The QB spy defensive hot route does in fact work (when you call it in conjunction with a zone defense, the way it is supposed to be used). Also, if you call an intelligent defensive game in ESPN and use effective pre-snap adjustments, you will be able to shut down, or at least slow down, nearly any team. I use the Giants and can stop or at least limit almost any QB scrambling or pass-happy online gamer. You just have to adjust your defense the offense's gameplan, and then execute accordingly.

As for Madden . . . yes, at first impression the defense is quite fun. however, once you check the replays and really study how the players perform on the field . . . you will notice that their behaivor is very unrealistic. The end impression may be fun, but how Madden's D "gets there" isn't very enjoyable for a SIM-gamer like me. Plus, Madden is SORELY LACKING in the defensive playbook / playcalling department.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2004, 12:50 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie67
You must be kidding. Obviously you haven't played 2K5

Nope, I played both. I mean ESPN running game is cool. But my results are unrealistic on the hardest level. Either I am real good, or its too easy.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:55 PM   #47
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondadda
I strongly, strongly disagree. ESPN is heads and tails superior to Madden in terms of defensive playcalling and pre-snap adjustments. Once you get into the play on the field, the ESPN coders did not use cheap short-cuts in their LB and DB routines like the guys at Tiburon did. ESPN defense plays realistically . . . guys make mistakes, swarm to the ball in accordance with their ability, work together well (especially on the front 7), and look great when tackling.

As for these defensive "glitches" . . . I don't believe in them. NEWSFLASH: The QB spy defensive hot route does in fact work (when you call it in conjunction with a zone defense, the way it is supposed to be used). Also, if you call an intelligent defensive game in ESPN and use effective pre-snap adjustments, you will be able to shut down, or at least slow down, nearly any team. I use the Giants and can stop or at least limit almost any QB scrambling or pass-happy online gamer. You just have to adjust your defense the offense's gameplan, and then execute accordingly.

As for Madden . . . yes, at first impression the defense is quite fun. however, once you check the replays and really study how the players perform on the field . . . you will notice that their behaivor is very unrealistic. The end impression may be fun, but how Madden's D "gets there" isn't very enjoyable for a SIM-gamer like me. Plus, Madden is SORELY LACKING in the defensive playbook / playcalling department.

I strongly, strongly agree with everyting you said, good post. Another thing about Madden nobody seems to mention, people tend to say Madden is so real, well NEWS FLASH the new hit stick should be illegal because half of those hits would never take place in the real NFL and if they did you are in for some serious suspention, a forearm to the head is not legal at all.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 08-16-2004, 12:55 PM   #48
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles167
Nope, I played both. I mean ESPN running game is cool. But my results are unrealistic on the hardest level. Either I am real good, or its too easy.

use Rickster101 sliders then come back and talk to me.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »