Home

Loosening up the D

This is a discussion on Loosening up the D within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
DH7
Rookie

OVR: 1
Loosening up the D

Ok, I have been playin on All-Pro, and been winning in my franchise, but one major thing is driving me crazy - I cannot burn anyone 1-on-1 with the deep ball. Now, I know that to a degree its good that the D can take some of the long balls away, but its seriously stupid with me right now, no matter if I have a good QB and a good quality, tall WR, no matter what I do, nothing on deep corners or streaks - the CB's always somehow knock it down or recover. I have tried the leading deal with both the stick and D-pad, but nothing is helping. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how I can get some deep passing?? Again, like I say, its good the CPU can actually defend a long ball, but christ, I have no vertical passing game, regardless of personnel or play call.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2004, 01:09 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Loosening up the D

This has already been said by someone before but kudos to them for finding this out. Madden still has the lead receiver option using either the d-pad or the analog stick...

When your man is going deep press the button for the reciever you want to throw to and then press up and left or up and right on the d-pad or left analog stick(depending on which side of the field you are throwing to). This will give the allow the reciever to jockey for position and catch the ball. It wont happen all the time but it will happen more often for you. Try this in practice mode and you will see results. You can also use the lead receiver option on outs and comebacks toward the sideline. Try it out and let me know.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:43 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Well, you could try some pump fakes, but I don't know how much they'll help.

Honestly I usually complete deep balls when I happen to call a play action while the corner, who's supposed to be covering the streaking receiver, is playing in a non-deep zone. Due to the play fake, the safety takes a step or two up. Suddenly, because the safety's out of position, and the corner's not playing a deep zone, my receiver has enough room to catch the streak, and break to the end zone, as long as I put the right velocity on the throw. Obviously, in this position, if I bullet the pass with a low trajectory, the corner playing a short zone could bat it down or pick it. If I lob it, and float it too long, the safety, even after taking a step or two up and getting out of position, could have enough time to drop back and make a play on the ball.

Honestly, an easier way to break a long passing play, IMO, is to get your wide out to run a hook. Then, if the corner covering him, has inside position, use the analog stick to direct the pass more to the sideline. Often the receiver will adjust, and make the catch. Then the CB to the inside will dive for your receiver, miss, and suddenly your receiver's off to the races.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:02 AM   #4
MVP

rheller's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Again, like I say, its good the CPU can actually defend a long ball, but christ, I have no vertical passing game, regardless of personnel or play call.
I agree. I've used the d-pad trick and it has helped some. The part that I have a problem with is when the CPU brings the safties up to the line. I usually audible to a passing play (if I'm currently in a running play). I usually send the slot receiver on a fly route or an out (usually no one lines up over him) Somehow the CPU always catches up to the receiver before the ball gets there.

Does anyone have any suggestions, because I'm baffled? The CPU takes away the run by brining up the safties, he shouldn't be able to take away the pass too in his current formation.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheller
I agree. I've used the d-pad trick and it has helped some. The part that I have a problem with is when the CPU brings the safties up to the line. I usually audible to a passing play (if I'm currently in a running play). I usually send the slot receiver on a fly route or an out (usually no one lines up over him) Somehow the CPU always catches up to the receiver before the ball gets there.

Does anyone have any suggestions, because I'm baffled? The CPU takes away the run by brining up the safties, he shouldn't be able to take away the pass too in his current formation.

LEARN HOW TO COMPUTER JUMP OR SUPERJUMP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2004, 11:17 AM   #6
MVP

skydog71's Arena

OVR: 12

I'm like 1 for 20 on the deep ball. When the defense brings their safeties up, I audible to a play action, and send one of my recievers on a fly route. 90% of the time I overthrow the reciever (leading him with the analog stick), and the other 9%, the CB bats it away. Once in a blue moon, I actually catch the ball.

I've had much more success with deep post routes. At least my reciever can get some sort of angle, and has a reasonable chance of making the play.

It's really frustrating... guess I need to practice more. I'm pretty good at leading the reciever using the analog stick on out patterns, which has become one of my more reliable plays. After playing 9-10 games, the only long pass I've managed to break was an out route, and Reggie Williams took it to the house after the CB dove and missed the tackle. Perhaps I am spoiled from throwing bombs to Randy Moss last year, heh.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheller

They could be faking run blocks and dropping back in to zonal...

Under any circumstances tho, the default slider for AI knockdowns is much too high, lower it down to 5 or max 6 that way they won't run around doing superjump on each and every pass. Do the same for your own sliders (Why should you superjump when they don't?).
Old 08-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
MVP

rheller's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
LEARN HOW TO COMPUTER JUMP OR SUPERJUMP
I see how jumping might help on fly routes, but I don't think I should have to jump on an out. The problem is that the CPU is recovering to make a play on the ball when there is no way they should be in position to make that play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »