Home

EA takes HUGE cheap shot at ESPN

This is a discussion on EA takes HUGE cheap shot at ESPN within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 03:36 AM   #33
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: EA takes HUGE cheap shot at ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
The videogame industry is a business.

Madden has every right to brag. Madden 2006 could just contain updated rosters and a new coverboy and it would still outsell ESPN.

The Madden brand is so popular. I know several people who bought ESPN for the first time because of the price and they said it was decent but it wasn't "Madden" thus it wasn't as good.
This debate is endless because I know several people who are getting tired of EA and indicate that consumers are not getting much year over year with Madden and they feel that ESPN is making huge strides. Both games are really great in my opinion but this is turning into game bashing. Like someone mention earlier it is like "my game is bigger than yours".
Old 08-21-2004, 03:38 AM   #34
BARRY! BARRY! BARRY!

Tha Dynasty's Arena

OVR: 11

IMO most people that say they are tired of Madden because it is the same thing everyyear hasn't tried Madden 2005.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:39 AM   #35
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPlaya
EA has no reason to be worried. What in the world are you talkin about?
Uhhh.... VC doubled their their game sales from all of last year in just a few days, and they are the chief rival of EA... that's what I'm talking about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2004, 04:29 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba4
Uhhh.... VC doubled their their game sales from all of last year in just a few days, and they are the chief rival of EA... that's what I'm talking about.
in the grand scheme of things, though, he's right. EA has nothing to worry about at all. they are easily the largest game publisher in the world, and Sega is just struggling to stay alive.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:34 AM   #37
BARRY! BARRY! BARRY!

Tha Dynasty's Arena

Well thats one thing Madden tried to do to improve....they put down ESPN so other players would go "oh...people are buying Madden and not ESPN, i guess Madden is the better game". Its all strategy on the part of EA. Just like ESPN lowering their price to steal Madden loyalist...Madden is just countering by saying "look...they lowered their price and is $30 cheaper but yet we outsell them mightily." Just a little revenge
Old 08-21-2004, 05:10 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
in the grand scheme of things, though, he's right. EA has nothing to worry about at all. they are easily the largest game publisher in the world, and Sega is just struggling to stay alive.
Any market share growth of your competitor is a negative. It doesn't hurt EA short term but long term it has the potential to do just that. That's why investment firm Wedbush Morgan released a special report about ESPN 2k5 within a day of the numbers being released. An excerpt of that is below.

From the report...

-While we expected price elasticity to drive higher ESPN NFL 2K5 sales at release, especially given the pre-emptive
launch, the 792,000 units sold over the first 12 days of release astounded us (we had expected 300,000 units). Our
channel checks reveal that sell-through for the game has remained quite strong over the last two weeks.(of August)

--------

2 weeks ago I said another factor to watch would be ESPN's traction in the market. It was obvious it was selling well prior to the release of Madden but the question was if it would fall off the face of the earth once Madden launched. It hasn't. Despite Madden being a choice for gamers,people are still buying ESPN and it will put up a full month of very solid sales in August.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:42 AM   #39
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Madden=More popular thus Madden gets more sales it's that simple...I'd say the only real football gamers reside on this site and a few others,but my friends they buy Madden to play games on arcade mode and beat the CPU by 50.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 08-21-2004, 08:45 AM   #40
MVP

emalloy3's Arena

Espn may have doubled their copies sold from last years but how much money did they make, in the grand scheme of things I think they failed.
NBA:Los Angeles Lakers
NCAABB:Georgetown Hoyas
MLB:Washington Nationals

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »