Home

help with the running game

This is a discussion on help with the running game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2004, 07:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
help with the running game

i'm having trouble running the ball...i just got the game and I am playing on all pro default sliders...i'm using the lions and I seem to average maybe 2 yards a carry if i'm lucky...looking for some tips/hints to help me improve my running game...thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2004, 12:21 AM   #2
C*m* *n y** Sp*rs!

TheEnglishHombre's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: help with the running game

Biggest tip I can give you is to follow the fullback. Schlessinger (sp?) is a great blocking FB. I use the Packers, and running out of the I with Henderson blocking for me works great. Also, don't forget to flip the play if the other guy loads up on one side. Simple, but important.

Also, try practicing with a better running team than the Lions. Not meaning to be a homer here, but the Pack have an awesome O-line, good fullback, and Ahman Green. Dolphins are good to, assuming you can still use Ricky with the roster update. Once you get the hang of the running, then try your favorite team. The same principles that made it work before will still hold true.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:08 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnglishHombre
Biggest tip I can give you is to follow the fullback. Schlessinger (sp?) is a great blocking FB. I use the Packers, and running out of the I with Henderson blocking for me works great. Also, don't forget to flip the play if the other guy loads up on one side. Simple, but important.

Also, try practicing with a better running team than the Lions. Not meaning to be a homer here, but the Pack have an awesome O-line, good fullback, and Ahman Green. Dolphins are good to, assuming you can still use Ricky with the roster update. Once you get the hang of the running, then try your favorite team. The same principles that made it work before will still hold true.
Rickey is no where in the game dude, you would have to create him. Why the heck would he be?

Charles
Old 08-22-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenman420
Rickey is no where in the game dude, you would have to create him. Why the heck would he be?

Charles
Isn't Rickey in the default rosters? As long as you don't dl the new rosters Williams is on the Dolphins....unless I am mistaken.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Ricky is on the default rotsters...his 'retirement' came pretty much as Madden was being pressed and shipped.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2004, 12:13 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Another advice I'd like to give, other than what are already listes, is to try and stay away from the speed burst button untill you pass the line of scrimmage.

If you speedburst imidiately after the snap, at least my running back (Davis, CAR) has a tendancy to loose balance running over/thru your defence. Keeping your finger off the speedburst lets you dodge more tackles and keep balance, not to mention turn much better.

Once you make it thru the hole, hit the afterburn. On all-pro default sliders you should be able to break some decent runs.

Every now and again I flip the run and move my FB to block that other side after I have picked the play, sometimes you can predict a weaker D on the opposite side and often move you FB and snap the ball before the D has a chance to get in place.

PS: I usually run out of the I formations, but be sure to mix it up with for example strong I pass calls now and again so the CPU doesn't figure out that you allways run when in the I. Goalline formation can be fun here and there to tire down the D a little before you pick you favorite run.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »