Home

Running Game

This is a discussion on Running Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2004, 06:46 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Running Game

the problem with the running game is that blockers dont even slide. They all basicly block upfield. Defenders who are blocked don't move lateral enough. They either just bumrush the blocker, or stay block. They should be sliding left and right to help contain the run. THis also creates holes to run in. ESPN 2k4 had this same problem.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:23 PM   #18
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

I think both games have a fair amount of strengths and weaknesses when it comes to the running game but neither one is handsdown better than the other IMO. It's just matter of which one you prefer.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

I think the running game is better than last year, but still not very good. Offline, all my yards come from right outside the tackles for the most part. I get 100+yards a game, but all on counters, tackles, or dive plays that I take outside. I don't get anything on tosses, and don't get much up the middle. Until they fix the ping pong running and mario running, I don't see it getting much better.

And online, the rushing game seems too random. One play I'll do a simple running play up the middle against a 4-3, and get 5-10 yards. Next play I'll do the same thing against a Dime coverage, and get hit for a loss. The blocking is way too inconsistent.

And I agree that there are too many tackles for losses. I've never seen QB's tackled before they hand the ball off this much in real life.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:58 PM   #20
Pro

HHHBigFan's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2xgamers
Why don't you like it? And seriously, unless 100% of the game sucks or is boring, then what would be the point in returning something you payed $7 for?
I dont like it because I only get about 60 yards a game because I get tackled in the back so many times. Backups in Preseason get more than 60 yards a game IRL. I didnt pay $7 for it, I am on that game pass.

Last edited by HHHBigFan; 08-24-2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:39 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm mixed on the running game this year, overall the feeling off it is pretty good, once you break that 40 yd run it feels great.

Some games I just can't run for the life of me tho, I think it might have to do with me picking alot of "off tackle" plays cause more often than not my leading blocker just skipt thru the hole which then closes before I get a chance to follow.

Had some decent success lately calling some dives, but overall my rushing game does need some polishing. Needed to learn how to make more than 40% passes completed with a 90+ rated QB first tho, getting better at rushing is next.

I am stopped for a loss on occasion, but not too often, I get more 0 yd gains than I do losses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2004, 10:17 PM   #22
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Until they fix the ping pong running and mario running, I don't see it getting much better.
While I agree with you and others that Madden's "pinball" collision detection needs work...I also think espn is on the other end of the spectrum in that it benefits heavily from ALOT of graphical clipping ...especially on inside runs in heavy traffic when the contextual "get skinny" and pushoff anims are triggered.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:46 AM   #23
All Star

OVR: 21

I think some clipping is to be expected, especially when you consider the level of collision detection going on in ESPN. If you run into your lineman's leg, you both stumble, or some sort of effect is produced. If you run into anyone, you don't simply pinball off that player. Madden just doesn't have that sort of complexity going on; not even close. Neither game has perfected the run game, but I think it's safe to say ESPN is ahead of the curve when it comes to this facet of the game.

I found Madden's run game last year to be more enjoyable than this year. They even toned down the effect of the juke moves (but not the totally unrealistic spin move for some reason) which further limits what you can do when running the ball. I think given what Tiburon did in juicing the DB coverage, having last year's running game would've benefited this year's game greatly. It's sad people can still play Dime & Quarters all game and still be ultra-effective.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:28 AM   #24
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I think some clipping is to be expected, especially when you consider the level of collision detection going on in ESPN.
I know it's to be expected. I was simply saying that on one end you have Madden's pinball collision detection and on the other you have espn's "ghost" collision detection...especially when running inside. Neither form of collision is realistic regardless of how simple or complex the actual player interaction is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Neither game has perfected the run game
I know. I said earlier that both have their fair share of strengths and weaknesses which is why IMo neither is handsdown better than the other. It basically comes down to which one the user prefers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »