Home

Any tips for people that blitz all the time online?

This is a discussion on Any tips for people that blitz all the time online? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2004, 12:23 AM   #9
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Any tips for people that blitz all the time online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_reem33
I've played two games online and i've been beaten badly for one reason, BLITZES. The people I have played blitz on every play. I don't even have time to bring up the passing icons before someone is in my face which either leads to a sack or me having to throw off my back foot. It's really frustrating because I've played people in person that do this and I'm able to overcome it, but when it comes to online I can't get passed it. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for this because this is the only reason why I have been losing so bad. I would really appreciate the help.
Here's a tip. Line up for a pass play in shotgun trips, so that 3 WR's are on one side. If he's blitzing, he's probably not doing it out of a nickle or dime. Most blitz cheesers do it out of the 4-3 or 3-4, and are usually set up in standard zone formation before doing so.

So after you line up, look at your receivers. Odds are, one of them is already uncovered prior to the snap. If so, as soon as you snap the ball, fire it to that guy. Easy 7-10 yards or more. If he's actually in man placement before the snap, just take inventory of your receivers' button assignments. As soon as that WR's coverage guy bails to blitz, hit him.

Screens are also good, as are routes to the flats. But I think Shotgun Trips will be most effective. And don't forget the button hook. It's tricky, cuz you need a couple of seconds for the receiver to hit his pivot and come in, but if you hot route your backs and TE to block, that should buy you the time you need. You time it right, you can hit that button hook everytime, and there will only be one guy on him. If that guy blows the tackle, you just got yourself 6 points.

What has also worked for me on occasion is this: Audible to a pass play, and send your fastest receiver on a streak, hot route the opposite field receiver to a button hook, hot route everyone else to block. If you have time, let the fast WR streak for about 20 yards, then lob one deep. If you don't have the time, hit the button hook as mentioned above.

Good luck.

Last edited by ChiTownKid; 08-28-2004 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:12 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

NO. why you ask? Cause in the real world a team blitzing on every down would lose 100-0. No contest. BUT, for some reason, in a video game, its just the opposite.

Actually the 46 defense is/was based on this philosophy. Blitzing teams that do it effectively would not lose 100-0. They may lose but it would never be by that much. The answer to me seems to be to hit them with quick strikes, screens you know the plays that the Dolphins did to beat the Bears. I blitz perhaps 35%-65% of the time. I mix it up and that's the best way to use the 46. Get the opponent into thinking you're blitzing every play and then hit them with a fake blitz and drop back into ZONE. I've never had trouble playing anyone that does the 'cheesy' plays that people have spoke of online. I've played in tournaments and have a very good record. The strategy of football is based on this. If you can't stop why should they stop? That's like saying you use Jim Brown too much. "If you have a big gun what are you going to do? Not shoot it?"
Old 08-29-2004, 08:40 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister8578
If you can't stop why should they stop? That's like saying you use Jim Brown too much. "If you have a big gun what are you going to do? Not shoot it?"
Using a back to his fullest is one thing, great. But u ask why should they stop? Its football, thats why, no one team in the NFL blitzes every play, no need for it on first down, they shouldnt even allow a blitz to come on a first down, maybe one DB hot route in, but the whole D? You post is pointless, IMO, and if you blitz 70% ur cheesin too. STOP IT. There isnt any need for it, learn to actaully PLAY D. If you can't learn to play D the proper way then there isnt any point in buying the game, peroid.

Charles
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2004, 04:13 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenman420
Using a back to his fullest is one thing, great. But u ask why should they stop? Its football, thats why, no one team in the NFL blitzes every play, no need for it on first down, they shouldnt even allow a blitz to come on a first down, maybe one DB hot route in, but the whole D? You post is pointless, IMO, and if you blitz 70% ur cheesin too. STOP IT. There isnt any need for it, learn to actaully PLAY D. If you can't learn to play D the proper way then there isnt any point in buying the game, peroid.

Charles

First of all I've played people that have made me stop blitzing on the game ONLINE. I've had a guy hit me up for scores of 56, 44, 28, 96 (!) and 3 yards. So when you whine about getting beat by the blitz perhaps you should keep your TE's in and block. I actually play with 2 different teams: Cowboys and Lions. I blitz with the Lions more than I do than with the Cowboys. Why? Because I use the blitz as I said before to frustrate players who haven't taken the time to learn real football. If you want me to stop blitzing then become the player online who ADAPTS and BURNS me for it. Then I'll adapt and we go around in a circle. Your points make you sound more like a bad coach/player than someone who is generally upset about the FLAW/FAULT of the game. It would be different if the game had a bug in it that allows blitzes to 100% be successful. There are some very good tips in this forum on how to beat the blitz. I bet one of these guys in here are one of the guys that beat me. I've been lurking here for a while now and all I notice are people that bitch and complain about what guys do online. I LIKE THE FAIR PLAY RULES....but to say that no team never blitzes sometimes 70% of the time shows me your ineptness to the game of football. Different teams play different blitz packages. Can you recognize a blitz? Again I bring the 46 Defense (which not to many teams play now) because corners aren't keeping up to the WR's. As stated the 46 is open to be exposed just like the Cover 2 is one of my more frustrating defenses. So I come here and say all you guys that run Cover 2 (30-65% of the time) are cheesers? No. I adjust and learn to beat it or guess what? I lose. And as far as the RB is concerned? If you ahd a backfield of Jim Brown/Barry Sanders/Marshall Faulk or any top three Rb's in history why would you stop running the ball? Let me get this straight anything that is successful is considered cheating? Nebraska in the past ran the ball literally 80% of the time. Were they being cheesy? The GB Packers of the Lombardi era ran the sweep at least 30 times a game. John Madden himself has stated that if he had Randy Moss that he would throw at least 2-3 deep balls a quarter to him. To me dominate players/schemes are part of the game of football and I don't mean just Madden I mean football. Read a playbook, coaches breakdowns of schemes or just listen to the people on this forum who have given you all that you need to beat the blitzers. As a matter of fact if you give me your screen-name I guarantee I could beat you without blitzing. Then what? Challenge given.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:35 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister8578
First of all I've played people that have made me stop blitzing on the game ONLINE. I've had a guy hit me up for scores of 56, 44, 28, 96 (!) and 3 yards. So when you whine about getting beat by the blitz perhaps you should keep your TE's in and block. I actually play with 2 different teams: Cowboys and Lions. I blitz with the Lions more than I do than with the Cowboys. Why? Because I use the blitz as I said before to frustrate players who haven't taken the time to learn real football. If you want me to stop blitzing then become the player online who ADAPTS and BURNS me for it. Then I'll adapt and we go around in a circle. Your points make you sound more like a bad coach/player than someone who is generally upset about the FLAW/FAULT of the game. It would be different if the game had a bug in it that allows blitzes to 100% be successful. There are some very good tips in this forum on how to beat the blitz. I bet one of these guys in here are one of the guys that beat me. I've been lurking here for a while now and all I notice are people that bitch and complain about what guys do online. I LIKE THE FAIR PLAY RULES....but to say that no team never blitzes sometimes 70% of the time shows me your ineptness to the game of football. Different teams play different blitz packages. Can you recognize a blitz? Again I bring the 46 Defense (which not to many teams play now) because corners aren't keeping up to the WR's. As stated the 46 is open to be exposed just like the Cover 2 is one of my more frustrating defenses. So I come here and say all you guys that run Cover 2 (30-65% of the time) are cheesers? No. I adjust and learn to beat it or guess what? I lose. And as far as the RB is concerned? If you ahd a backfield of Jim Brown/Barry Sanders/Marshall Faulk or any top three Rb's in history why would you stop running the ball? Let me get this straight anything that is successful is considered cheating? Nebraska in the past ran the ball literally 80% of the time. Were they being cheesy? The GB Packers of the Lombardi era ran the sweep at least 30 times a game. John Madden himself has stated that if he had Randy Moss that he would throw at least 2-3 deep balls a quarter to him. To me dominate players/schemes are part of the game of football and I don't mean just Madden I mean football. Read a playbook, coaches breakdowns of schemes or just listen to the people on this forum who have given you all that you need to beat the blitzers. As a matter of fact if you give me your screen-name I guarantee I could beat you without blitzing. Then what? Challenge given.
Yeah I agree. Remember, this year it is about strategy. The way to beat blitzers is very simple - like in the NFL. Slant or short routes with most 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd WRs or the TE will get the job done. When folks blitz me, I break them out of it real quick by not panicking, leaving extra blocking in, and killing them across the middle or wherever the blitz is coming from. That's something else they teach you in real football - usually you can throw to the direction the blitz is coming from. The HB out of the back field is also another good blitz killer. With average receivers, I'll get a good 15 - 20 yard gain depending on the type of blitz. With top notch recievers, its 50+ yards or to the house. If you panick, you're done. Go into practice mode and practice against blitzes and you'll see how to beat them. Shotgun formations kill the blitz - especially with a back in the backfield. If it's coming, make sure your receivers are in parts of the field likely to be open.

In the NFL, they'll do something until you prove you can stop it. The ravens ran Jamal Lewis last year down people's throat...they weren't cheating. If they know you can't stop the run, they'll just keep running it down your throat. Last year, teams would sometimes blitz Philadelphia endlessly because their O-line sucked and they had crappy receivers.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:23 PM   #14
Rookie

worldb's Arena

I am really enjoying this post. Does anyone know the percentage teams blitz in the NFL? I know stats are kept on the subject. What team blitzes the most?

Michael
Old 08-31-2004, 01:00 PM   #15
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20

Dump off to your hb in the flats he will get huge yards. Whooped my friends *** doing that (Seattle)58-26 (Jets).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2004, 01:03 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 4

Yep. Blitzes are a part of the game. Hot Routes are you Counter Attacks. Don't forget that you can assign guys to block and I think the chop block (or something close to it) is one of the blocking options.

Also like someone else said. Use the TE. the TE is great in this yrs game and is definately more important that in yrs past.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »