Home

Running up the score online...good or bad?

This is a discussion on Running up the score online...good or bad? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2004, 06:46 PM   #25
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Running up the score online...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTell
Now here's one of my qoutes:

What's with all the video game etiquette? Personally, I don't try to run up the score cause I fear the interception or fumble, but what's the big deal if an opponent does it. A lost is a lost. He/she won. If they are able to pad their stats against your poor defense, so be it. They earned the right.

Either way, you won't find me online playing Madden anyway.
The bottom line is that it's about class. You don't see this kind of stuff in real football. I think you can learn a lot about what kind of person a guy is by how he handles himself at the end of a game. Even when I'm way ahead on a guy, I always think about the best way to end it without causing ill will. I like knowing people think I'm a good guy and would play me again in a minute. It's called being a good sport and winning with dignity and class. I wish there were just seperate catagories on Xbox Live for those of us that believe in winning with class and those pricks that just want to throw the bomb to Moss one more time despite being up by 30. The fair play setting has helped a lot, but there are still so many holes that can be exploited by cheesers. I don't think I'll ever play another game of ESPN online until they put some of these measures in place.

But Tall Tell, if you don't understand this thread and why we care, then you never will. But like others have said, there's no way I'll ever play you in a game because if you condone this type of behavior, then you are just like they are. Color me ignorant, but I still have hope for humanity. That not every prick out there is worried about running up the score and humiliating someone online, especially if they cheese in the process.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2004, 09:10 PM   #26
Pro

Dienekes's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgun
The bottom line is that it's about class. You don't see this kind of stuff in real football. I think you can learn a lot about what kind of person a guy is by how he handles himself at the end of a game. Even when I'm way ahead on a guy, I always think about the best way to end it without causing ill will. I like knowing people think I'm a good guy and would play me again in a minute. It's called being a good sport and winning with dignity and class. I wish there were just seperate catagories on Xbox Live for those of us that believe in winning with class and those pricks that just want to throw the bomb to Moss one more time despite being up by 30. The fair play setting has helped a lot, but there are still so many holes that can be exploited by cheesers. I don't think I'll ever play another game of ESPN online until they put some of these measures in place.

But Tall Tell, if you don't understand this thread and why we care, then you never will. But like others have said, there's no way I'll ever play you in a game because if you condone this type of behavior, then you are just like they are. Color me ignorant, but I still have hope for humanity. That not every prick out there is worried about running up the score and humiliating someone online, especially if they cheese in the process.
Well said!!!
Old 08-29-2004, 09:32 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

Very interesting thread. I dont think I get too mad with the score being run up on me cause Madden gives you the option to mercy quit. I also do my part of running out the clock when I'm losing bad by doing only running plays and using up all the play-clock.

Now I have a question for the people who think it's classless to run up the score. I dont run up the score because I fear a fumble or interception, but I rarely ever use the QB Kneel. So my question is:

Is it considered classless when you have your opponent beat (lets say 17+ points - near the end of the game) and instead of doing a QB kneel you run a dive?

This is what I normally do.. .but I just hold the 'protect ball' button and run straight.

-Tredell
Old 08-29-2004, 10:37 PM   #28
Rookie

TheNorm30's Arena

OVR: 4

I wouldn't consider that classless--it's not like you're trying to run outside, it's just a straight ahead run. If your opponent can't stop that and you score a TD from 50 yards out, well then that's his fault. It's not like you're throwing up bombs to rub it in late...that's classless.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:56 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm30
I wouldn't consider that classless--it's not like you're trying to run outside, it's just a straight ahead run. If your opponent can't stop that and you score a TD from 50 yards out, well then that's his fault. It's not like you're throwing up bombs to rub it in late...that's classless.
well said.

Just like if your opponent continues to score on you then its your own fault
Old 08-30-2004, 01:35 AM   #30
Banned

TallTell's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplaya2023
well said.

Just like if your opponent continues to score on you then its your own fault

Agreed!
Old 08-30-2004, 07:38 AM   #31
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredell
Very interesting thread. I dont think I get too mad with the score being run up on me cause Madden gives you the option to mercy quit. I also do my part of running out the clock when I'm losing bad by doing only running plays and using up all the play-clock.

Now I have a question for the people who think it's classless to run up the score. I dont run up the score because I fear a fumble or interception, but I rarely ever use the QB Kneel. So my question is:

Is it considered classless when you have your opponent beat (lets say 17+ points - near the end of the game) and instead of doing a QB kneel you run a dive?

This is what I normally do.. .but I just hold the 'protect ball' button and run straight.

-Tredell
I don't really expect a guy to kneel, and I don't even mind him running the ball outside, but the thing that really pisses me off is when a guy calls 4 or 5 WR sets at the end of the game when he's got it won. If I'm 3 TDs down with 1:50 to go, I will usually just tell them to go ahead and run out the clock and that I won't be using my timeouts.

I don't think the problem is necessarily that guys want to pad their stats as much as it is that they want to see if a certain play works or whatever. Most of the pricks that try and score again use teams like the Eagles, Vikings, or Rams because they have a superstar receiver and they want to run that one play to see if they can complete the pass. It wouldn't even bother me if they asked if it was ok if they tried something because some of them do and I say sure. But it's the guys that talk to you the whole game that get in the last 2 minutes and quit talking because they know they're about to piss you off that get me.

Again, I guess I don't quite understand the concept, but I treat people online just like I would if I met them. I never figured out who said that the object of online play is to piss as many people off as you can while ruining your reputation in the process.

Like I said, kudos to EA for at least attempting to shut down the cheese and the reputation system will eventually work as people get more games under their belt. You know when a guy has played 10 games and has a 50% DNF rate that he's probably a plug puller or a quitter so it's your own fault if you play those guys and they cheese on you. I think it's pretty clear that the guys with the highest DNF % will also cheese you to death if they can.

I play online games to win and I will do what I can to do that, but I will not lose my integrity in the process. I guess I just expect the same thing from people online. It doesn't surprise me that much when a 13 year old kid cheeses, but when we're talking about a grown 29 year old man with kids, a wife, and a job doing it, I just shake my head.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2004, 08:14 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 5

Not to get on people's bad sides lol (to late for that) but what do you people expect from playing online????????? Integrity Honesty and all those attributes are thrown out in an effort to win, and pad stats. No one cares if u get mad cause you get the score run up on you, these people spend $50 every year or whatever buying this game. How are you going to tell them how they can play and what plays to call at a partcular moment in the game. Its not like online play affects you guys in "Real" life, remember its only a game, you guys are grown men cussing out children and other grown men out in a "video game" because you mad????? Just think about it........................

IM 40 years old im playing madden online someone is up 21 and scores on me again i yell obseneties (sp) into a headset to prove my point????

Makes sense does it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »