Home

what the heck is wrong with the AI?

This is a discussion on what the heck is wrong with the AI? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 11:26 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: what the heck is wrong with the AI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz50
there are money plays I guess, but its not like in espn where any slant or any post route in any formation always works...

you don't really need any sliders for this game, atleast if you play on All-Madden, that is the closest to a simulation type game if you're good enough.
I dont think you've played espn than. With the standard and custom sliders in espn the slants and posts wont always work. What is your defintion of a sim?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:41 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTell
Jeez, why does every thread that questions a certain aspect of Madden end up with people saying, "atleast it doesn't do this or that like ESPN does."

The poster isn't saying he's going to throw Madden away and start playing ESPN. Don't worry. Your camp is safe.
I'll tell you why these threads always revert back to ESPN vs. madden wars...its b/c the madden loyalists are brainwashed over a video game. They are so far gone that they acutally believe that they have some personal financial stake in EA/madden. Nothing else can explain it. I dont care what anyone says, I bought madden and played it on xbox for 2 weeks. The animations are the same, the graphics are a step back, and the defense is juiced not smarter. Its the same ea crap since the new consoles came out. In my opinion, ea sold out a long time ago. When I was in college their games were the best..hands down. But ever since they turned into this billion dollar company they lost their edge. They are only interested in profits and investors. They know they have a brainwashed fanbase so all they have to do is "tweak" the game each year w/out making any major overhauls that would include more costs. And you madden loyalists fall for it each year while ea laughs on their way to the bank. It's business 101 guys.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim
ten times in a row, I used the shoutgun 3WR 2RB set quick slant play(with the Ravens), and every time it was money; a 10-15 yard catch guaranteed.

Thats not the part im complaing about though, as I know that the computer doesnt catch on(though they have claimed it does). My problem is with the fact that even though I would run this play to perfection every time, my 11th play was always a run, YET every time they were in a 3-4/4-3 ready for it.

I average about 500 yards passing/40 rushing per game.

Am i the only one noticing this crap?
The AI does catch on most plays if you use them too much. Like I do alot of TE slants & outs because Gonzales has glue on his gloves, they quickly start covering him with at least 1 mand and have another zone cover the area he is most likely to recieve in.

At least they catch on in my games, but I'm also using headrulz's sliders because standard are silly easy in all-pro this year.

There are money plays in madden this year just like there's allways been, regardless of what skill level one is on tho. If you want a challenge, stop using them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2004, 07:00 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim
ten times in a row, I used the shoutgun 3WR 2RB set quick slant play(with the Ravens), and every time it was money; a 10-15 yard catch guaranteed.

Thats not the part im complaing about though, as I know that the computer doesnt catch on(though they have claimed it does). My problem is with the fact that even though I would run this play to perfection every time, my 11th play was always a run, YET every time they were in a 3-4/4-3 ready for it.

I average about 500 yards passing/40 rushing per game.

Am i the only one noticing this crap?
No you're not. I discovered the play singleback-> Trips-> Double Slant last week was money (no matter what level I'm playing on). R receiver is always (80-90% of time) open. This is simply pathetic and should not be happening on the XBox in 2005. When I complained about it on this forum guess what the advise was?... Don't use that play. Pathetic isn't it. Rather than slam EA for putting out a bad product (Fear the D etc..) I'm the one at fault for wanting to runs slants in my football game. Slants, its in the game allright. AI for Madden 2005 is very disappointing.

Last edited by Paytonsplace; 08-29-2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:36 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytonsplace
When I complained about it on this forum guess what the advise was?... Don't use that play. Pathetic isn't it.
Hey Peyton - You think thats bad! I was told to STFU and called a cheeser. They posted these messages with images also. One guy went so far as to call me an EA ***** (when in fact 95% of my purchases dating back to the Sega Genesis days were all EA titles). I am extremely disapointed with the product they released this year. I did however trade Madden in and picked up a copy of 2k5, but just could not get into it. Why couldn't EA have put more effort into gameplay and testing and forget about Tony Bruno????
It seems that if you could combine Madden & 2k5 we would have a near perfect game. Oh well theres always hope for next year, although I will not purchase another EA title until a minimum of 6 weeks after the release so that I don't throw away $50.00 again.

Last edited by NJ2NC; 08-29-2004 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:59 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2NC
Hey Peyton - You think thats bad! I was told to STFU and called a cheeser. They posted these messages with images also. One guy went so far as to call me an EA ***** (when in fact 95% of my purchases dating back to the Sega Genesis days were all EA titles). I am extremely disapointed with the product they released this year. I did however trade Madden in and picked up a copy of 2k5, but just could not get into it. Why couldn't EA have put more effort into gameplay and testing and forget about Tony Bruno????
It seems that if you could combine Madden & 2k5 we would have a near perfect game. Oh well theres always hope for next year, although I will not purchase another EA title until a minimum of 6 weeks after the release so that I don't throw away $50.00 again.
I think that EA is the cheeser. I've been buying Madden since the Sega Genesis days. Back then I used to play in two player mode, so the flaws were not as important (although the Neal Anderson sweep for 80 yards was always a joke, even though I was the one doing the play). However I'm older now and often it is just me and the CPU (Being out in the middle of New Mexico doesn't help either, no broadband) so the AI of this game had to be good. Not only was it not good, but it was a throwback to the Madden '97 and Madden '98 days (anyone remember "liquid AI"?). Those games, not unlike Madden 2005 were riddled with Money plays. This is why I stopped playing Madden for awhile. Now imagine my disappointment, to come back to the game many years later, on a more advanced system and find..... money plays.

And for those who claim that money plays will always be in the game, you haven't a leg to stand on. I work in a field that is a combination of software development and CEM ( Computational Electromagnetics), I'm not a game developer but I do know a few things about software engineering. These football games can be better , much better than they are. The problem is that I don't think that EA did a ground up reconstruction of Maddden when they went to the PS2 and XBOX. This makes good business sense, the developmental cost of reworking Madden would not be trivial. And anyway, why bother, if the consumer is not very discriminating. Sadly, this has lead to the situation today. A fine gaming system (the XBOX) running outdated software. Why should EA do anything different when we all start jumping to the next generation of systems in the next two years. Imagine playing a game whose core engine is Madden '97 in 2007. What a joke.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:52 PM   #15
Pro

Dienekes's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytonsplace
However I'm older now and often it is just me and the CPU (Being out in the middle of New Mexico doesn't help either, no broadband) so the AI of this game had to be good.
I don't know about xbox (do you have to have broadband?), I play on ps2, and I am getting great games online with 56k. Last years sucked as far as 56k but this years works great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2004, 12:10 AM   #16
Rookie

yopis's Arena

OVR: 7

I'll tell you why these threads always revert back to ESPN vs. madden wars...its b/c the madden loyalists are brainwashed over a video game. They are so far gone that they acutally believe that they have some personal financial stake in EA/madden. Nothing else can explain it. I dont care what anyone says, I bought madden and played it on xbox for 2 weeks. The animations are the same, the graphics are a step back, and the defense is juiced not smarter. Its the same ea crap since the new consoles came out. In my opinion, ea sold out a long time ago. When I was in college their games were the best..hands down. But ever since they turned into this billion dollar company they lost their edge. They are only interested in profits and investors. They know they have a brainwashed fanbase so all they have to do is "tweak" the game each year w/out making any major overhauls that would include more costs. And you madden loyalists fall for it each year while ea laughs on their way to the bank. It's business 101 guys.

Hey dude i agree fully i say that all the time since ea became a for 500 company they have lost somthing i mean look at the boxes so plain now.Look at mvp with the progression glitch look at madden this year i like it but it's a cheap game that will cheat you still to this day.And the reason the fanbase is so loyal is because ea was the best and they used to really put out good games.But i think the best talent from the madden and ncaa teams are working on ps3 and xbox 2 stuff.It's about 2 years off so all were gonna see is minor upgrades until then i bet.

Ea has too many yes men testing the games saying it's all good trying to keep their foot in the door instead of saying when somthing sucks that they put in the game.That create a fan stuff is the dumbest thing ever and nobody asked for it at all who wanted that???
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »