Home

Return of the punt block cheese...

This is a discussion on Return of the punt block cheese... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
Rookie

Xagoth's Arena

OVR: 5
Return of the punt block cheese...

I am usually wary of playing top 500 players (to be honest, every single one I have played has used cheese), but I figured, why not..maybe I can just learn some offense (of which I need to badly!).

So I challenge Knocturnal. He plays the Raiders.

First down, he passes for 85 yard TD. Ok, np...

I get the ball, go 3 and out...and here begins the fun.

I line up in punt formation. He lines up in punt block, takes control of his punt returner and lines him up off to my right. You guessed it, he runs right in and tackles my punter before I even come close to getting punt off.

He has the ball, passes for an immediate TD to same guy, using exact same play.

I get the ball...3 and out...this time I am SMART (!?) I use max protect punt..aha, I got you now, you cheesing bastard!

....if only life were that simple. See, punt returners are pretty fast and agile...he ran right through my max punt protect, and tackled my punter again.

To sum it up. He blocks all my punt attempts (Maddens fair play works against me, because I cant even go for it, knowing he is going to tackle my punter). He uses this EXACT same pass play, that no matter what defense I choose, or player I control, or double team the guy I KNOW he is going to throw it to....immediate TD.

Now, I think the TD play he was using can be stopped. Somehow. But you only have a few options when it comes to punting. So I was stuck, bent over a table so to speak every time I hit 4th down.

Lost the game 56-0. Luckily for me, he took the mercy option at the HALF.

Damn...why cant people just play the damned game like it supposed to be played? Even the most flamboyant A-Holes in the NFL have some sense of integrity and wouldnt pull this crap on the field or in a game...

Bears, Bulls, Cubs and Wildcats through thick and thin...mostly thin...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Return of the punt block cheese...

Thats the one thing i hate the most... when you know EXACTLY what someone is going to do but still cant stop it. its so frustrating it makes me want to rip my hair right out of my head. there is a huge problem with cheesers(as we all know) but we cant do much about it. the worst are the ones who dont even offer mercy, so consider yourself a little bit lucky(a very little bit tho).
Old 09-03-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
Rookie

Xagoth's Arena

Trust me, I do....I figured someone with that little integrity was going to want to rub it in for as long as possible.

Guess he was in a hurry to get to his next victim.

Old 09-03-2004, 08:19 PM   #4
Pro

Catman24's Arena

Lost the game 56-0. Luckily for me, he took the mercy option at the HALF.

...[/quote]LOL. Only because I feel your pain. Because something like that happen to me. Believe me, you are lucky. The person I was playing didnt give me a mercy quit. So I started calling these stupid defensive plays, hoping he would quit. Wrong move. Not a chance. So after the score became 123-0. I just quit and took the DNF. I hated doing that, but it was the start of the 4TH quarter. I just couldnt take it any longer. I think I heard some of my players hollering "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. PLEASE STOP THE GAME". The crazy thing about it was. This guy was having the time of his life. He was enjoying every minute of it. He than left me a message saying: Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. I just replied back. Saying. "I think your parents would be very proud of you". Some people.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:18 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

There is so much BS in this game. The same thing happened to my bro in 2 straight games. This is just as bad as the formation shift glitch. The fair play works against you and doesn't let you go for it knowing the person is gonna block your punt and even field goal. This also works on field goals not just punts. What is EA gonnna do about this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2004, 09:29 PM   #6
Rookie

sooner or later everybody is gonna know about this and EA is gonna have to figure out something about this. Because punt/field goals are pretty much a turnover and fairplay doesn't let you go for it. online play is now worse than last year.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:44 PM   #7
Rookie

Xagoth's Arena

Wow, didnt know it also worked on field goals....

Cant count how many games I have won by a single field goal.

I honestly dont see how they can fix it personally. They as well as us, are going to have to depend on our opponents not to do it.

I can see the following situation becoming more and more common:

You and your opponent have played a nice fair and honest game. You are down, lets say 21-20. You get the ball to your opponents 15 and call your last time out with 3 seconds left....now for your field goal attempt.

In time, I think we are all going to be wondering if they are going to cheese your or not on the last play of the game to "save" their win.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:57 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagoth
I honestly dont see how they can fix it personally. They as well as us, are going to have to depend on our opponents not to do it.
i believe you are right, EA won't fix it. however with the xbox hard drive i am sure they could. however since PS2 and Gamecube don't have a similar feature they won't leave one out in the cold for another so they won't do it. i hope all next generation consoles have large storage capacities so things like this can be fixed, and we demand EA do it!

Madden 2005 online record

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »