Home

Rookies from NCAA 2005 who have instantly produced.

This is a discussion on Rookies from NCAA 2005 who have instantly produced. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
Rookie

k_reem33's Arena

OVR: 2
Icon12 Rookies from NCAA 2005 who have instantly produced.

I'm playing a franchise with the Ravens, and after my first season, I drafted WR Carphonso Thorpe out of Florida State in the second round. He has instantly produced on my team. He is currently my third receiver on the depth chart behind Kevin Johnson, but in the next season he will be in the #2 spot. When I drafted him, his overall was 78. Now, I'm in the Super Bowl and it's at 89. He catches everything I throw to him, he is excellent in the slot, and he has exceptional speed. I think his speed is 95. Is there any other players who have produced right out the gates for you?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Rookies from NCAA 2005 who have instantly produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_reem33
I'm playing a franchise with the Ravens, and after my first season, I drafted WR Carphonso Thorpe out of Florida State in the second round. He has instantly produced on my team. He is currently my third receiver on the depth chart behind Kevin Johnson, but in the next season he will be in the #2 spot. When I drafted him, his overall was 78. Now, I'm in the Super Bowl and it's at 89. He catches everything I throw to him, he is excellent in the slot, and he has exceptional speed. I think his speed is 95. Is there any other players who have produced right out the gates for you?
I drafted FS Josh Bullocks from Nebraska and OLB Derrick Johnson from Texas. Bullocks started as an 87 and Johnson as an 83.

Bullocks stepped in as the starting FS and has played reasonably well. He has 2 interceptions and is 3rd on the team in tackles through 7 games. He has also has seen some time at WR. (75 catch rating)

Johnson is my starting LOLB since i traded Carlos Emmons for the rights to draft him. He hasn't played very well. Doesn't make many tackles and looks lost in pass coverage. He often rushes the QB when he should be covering a RB out of the backfield. I'm pretty disappointed so far but hopefully his awareness will go up and he'll improve.

I also managed to get Cedric Houston from Tennessee in the 4th round who after training camp and a few early season TD's is up to an 82. He's poised to take over the starting spot from Tiki in a few years.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

After restarting my Franchise I had a dam good 05 draft. Playing as the Chiefs , I drafted Mike Williams and Darren Sproles in the 1st rd though I had to trade Willie Roaf and some later rd picks to position myself to draft those two. In the 2nd rd I snatched MLB "Captain" Kirk Morrison out of SD state. The rest of the class was for Depth...can't recall the rest.

Williams easily won the #1 wr job during the pre-season. He came in with an 82 ovr and is rated 86 right now (week 4 in the reg season) and is amongst the top 5 wrs in yds, avg and tds. He's Pretty unstoppable in the red zone. Not much of a burner though's he's torched a couple of guys deep. He's more effective in the short and intermediate game.

Morrison becamse the starter at MLB 2 weeks into the season after Mike Mazlowski got hurt. Dude is a demon, man. All over the field, making tackles. He came in rated 76 and is now rated 82. He' gonna remain the starter even when Maz recovers. Theres just no substitute for 80 spd and 83 agi at 6'2 240 lbs.

Sproles is Holmes' heir apparent. I've been unimpressed with Larry Johnson. Sproles is more in Priest's mold and fits the offense better. Once Holmes retires I'll likely just go with a Thunder/Lighting type run game with LJ and Sproles.

As for other teams...one selection caught my eye...the Panthers drafted Antrel Rolle. I was like "dam...just when you thought that defense couldn't get any scarier."

Last edited by Kanobi; 09-16-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Reggie Bush (HB USC) is an absolute beast as a receiver out of the backfield; he leads my team (CIN) in receiving (catches, yards, TDs) ..that's problem going to tick Chad Johnson off at some point...

Jammal Brimmer (S UNLV) is a wonderful do-it-all saftey; started from day one.

Kay-Jay Harris (HB WVU) actually converts to a real nice "factor back" FB. Quad Hill (FB/HB MIA) works well in that role as well.

And Michaels actually annouces Brimmer's name (which wasn't that shocking), but it was a nice surprise when I heard him annouce Will Derting's(LB WSU) name. EA went the extra mile with at least some of the commentary.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:33 PM   #5
Pro

TurboTitan's Arena

OVR: 6

just about ANY 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd round pick can contribute instantly....cause most of em come out rated WAY too high. especially the safeties. i traded up to get Mike Williams too. he is a beast.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2004, 09:31 AM   #6
Pro

GboroKidd's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
After restarting my Franchise I had a dam good 05 draft. Playing as the Chiefs , I drafted Mike Williams and Darren Sproles in the 1st rd though I had to trade Willie Roaf and some later rd picks to position myself to draft those two. In the 2nd rd I snatched MLB "Captain" Kirk Morrison out of SD state. The rest of the class was for Depth...can't recall the rest.

Williams easily won the #1 wr job during the pre-season. He came in with an 82 ovr and is rated 86 right now (week 4 in the reg season) and is amongst the top 5 wrs in yds, avg and tds. He's Pretty unstoppable in the red zone. Not much of a burner though's he's torched a couple of guys deep. He's more effective in the short and intermediate game.

Morrison becamse the starter at MLB 2 weeks into the season after Mike Mazlowski got hurt. Dude is a demon, man. All over the field, making tackles. He came in rated 76 and is now rated 82. He' gonna remain the starter even when Maz recovers. Theres just no substitute for 80 spd and 83 agi at 6'2 240 lbs.

Sproles is Holmes' heir apparent. I've been unimpressed with Larry Johnson. Sproles is more in Priest's mold and fits the offense better. Once Holmes retires I'll likely just go with a Thunder/Lighting type run game with LJ and Sproles.

As for other teams...one selection caught my eye...the Panthers drafted Antrel Rolle. I was like "dam...just when you thought that defense couldn't get any scarier."
just an FYI, u can get sproles in like the 4th round.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:23 PM   #7
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GboroKidd
Ya for me Sproles was the best rated RB coming out of NCAA but was projected as a 4th rounder.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GboroKidd
Not all the time. For some reason, in another 05 draft I did (using the Ravens), Sproles went in the the 1st. Some team traded up to get him but I forgot who it was. I didn't want to take any chances. That wasn't the only time I've seen him go in the first rd either. Seems kinda random and depending on how the board falls each time. Other drafts I've seen him go in the 2nd and 3rd also.

Last edited by Kanobi; 09-17-2004 at 01:01 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »