Home

Intentional Incompletions

This is a discussion on Intentional Incompletions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
Intentional Incompletions

Wouldn't it be useful to the game?

Couple examples from my previous game from the other night......

I-Form 2WR, 1 TE. Curls pass.

Drop back, instantly recognize a speed blitz off the end and my WR's are man'd up so it's not going to work. What do I try to do? Aim real low and throw it 3 yards short of my WR in the dirt, take the incomplete and move along. What actually happens? The CB jumps the route before I've even thrown and is gone.

Yeah I could take the sack, but there's a better option out there for a QB that I've recognized (throwing a intentional incomplete, which a smart QB on sunday would do) but I can't do it.

a second situation.

9 seconds left in the half, i'm at the 6 yard line with no more timeouts but the clock is stopped.

I run the WR on an in cut underneath and the TE on a back corner out pattern. if the WR underneath doesn't come open, I'll look to the back corner and if he's not got a window, I'd WANT to throw it a couple yards out of everyone's reach for the incomplete, clock stoppage and easy FG.

However, I cannot do this, I have to throw it at a target for someone to make a play on it which I don't want if my targets are covered and time is short. I can't take a sack and I don't have time to scramble.

I realize there are other options/plays I can use in a situation like that, but this is a strategy that is used plenty often on Sundays, where routes are run that the QB can intentionally throw an INC if it's not there, without suffering a Int'l grounding penalty.

Would incorporation an option like this not be a benefit to the

A) high completetion %
b) high interception rates
c) overall user control

?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Intentional Incompletions

There is a throw the ball away buTton. Don't remember what it is tho.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

I get what your saying KillGod. You do have the throw the ball away option which is the RT stick but you need to be outside the tackles to avoid a penalty. So in essence you go through your progressions and if there's nothing their get outside those tackles and throw it away.

I think being able to throw it in the dirt near a reciever if everythings covered would be a great addition if implemented correctly. Seems like a simple addition to the game.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_24
There is a throw the ball away buTton. Don't remember what it is tho.
Its down on the R stick but you have to roll out of the pocket to avoid an intentional grounding call. He's talking about the ability to throw at the ground near the reciever in the middle of the field.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 13

This goes right back to the route based passing discussion and the "pass lead sensitivity" issues.

On the curl route if you had route based passing and pass lead sensitivity you would be able to execute an intentional incompletion short and uncatch-able, but because the game makes you throw "to" a receiver you do not have that option - which was in like M05 06 M06 on last gen = pretty sad!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

On PS3 you can throw the ball away by pressing down on the left stick. In my experience, you have to be outside the hashmarks to avoid an intentional grounding penalty. So, you usually have to roll out or scramble a bit before using it. But, that's pretty realistic, since you have to be outside the tackle box per NFL rules anyway.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconeer99
On PS3 you can throw the ball away by pressing down on the left stick. In my experience, you have to be outside the hashmarks to avoid an intentional grounding penalty. So, you usually have to roll out or scramble a bit before using it. But, that's pretty realistic, since you have to be outside the tackle box per NFL rules anyway.
Let me try to explain this again.

He's talking about the ability to throw at the ground near the reciever in the middle of the field.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 13

Sounds like a very simple addition. They should add it to the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »