Home

Addressing Wildcat Restrictions

This is a discussion on Addressing Wildcat Restrictions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15
Addressing Wildcat Restrictions

The Wildcat (popularized by the Miami Dolphins in 2008) is a new formation in Madden this year. As most Madden gamers know it is usually run with someone other than the quarterback taking snaps while a player put in motion will either receive a handoff or be used in a way similar to play action.

For those of you that may remember the Dolphins unleashed it in a game against the Patriots last year. Among the Wildcat plays that the Dolphins ran was a play-action sweep by Ronnie Brown in which he ran out of the pocket and threw a touchdown pass to Anthony Fasano.

Unfortunately in Madden, when calling the same play-action sweep that the Dolphins used, Ronnie Brown is stuck shuffling within the pocket and cannot scramble out of it. This is an issue that is not only specific to the Dolphins, but any team that attempts a pass out of the Wildcat formation.

Being able to scramble outside of the tackles is what makes the Wildcat that effective in real life.

But why can’t we scramble out of the pocket when attempting a pass out of the Wildcat? I posed the question to Ian Cummings through an Operation Sports thread and he responded in a video regarding issues being addressed in patches.
To see what I am referring to, click this link and take a look at Video #2 (Skip ahead to 2 minutes and 48 seconds for the section about the Wildcat) http://insideblog.easports.com/archive/2009/09/09/madden-nfl-10-faq.aspx

After listening to the response I was left with more questions than answers:

1. Why is Ian Cummings worried about the Wildcat being used as an exploit?

2. Is he implying that there is no way to stop it if the ability to scramble out of the pocket was added?

3. What is the point of having my running back shuffling around the pocket looking to make a pass, wouldn't I just prefer to have my quarterback in there since the ability to run is disabled?

4. I saw Ronnie Brown run (scramble) out of the pocket and throw on Sunday (technically Monday) against the Jets this season. What happened to the motto, “If you see it on Sunday..?”

5. Can there be an option added for the Wildcat that would allow users to turn scrambling on/off?

6. When will the NFL send a memo to all teams saying they aren't allowed to scramble or audible from that the Wildcat because it is too much of an exploit?

That’s my take, what do you think?
- Andre

Last edited by TeamBuilder; 10-27-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Re: Adressing Wildcat Restrictions

Addressing*
Old 10-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 12

nice write up, I've never been a big user of the Wildcat because very few of the playbooks I use (Run Heavy, Titans, Panthers, Saints) have the Wildcat (only the Panthers do, though the Saints have a Wildcat-esque play).

I will admit that I used the crap out of the WIldcat in the demo. I always played as the Cowboys (being a 'boys fan, I hate the Giants) and the Wildcat Jet Sweep to Felix Jones was just devastating, I averaged roughly 50 yards every time I ran that play and was able to score a TD about 75% of the time. It was not nearly as effective in the actual game, but it was fun to just wreck the Giants all day long.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

Outside of when I have Vick, I don't even use that formation to pass anymore because it's always a sack.

I'll run it two or three times a game, but that's about it. If we could scramble on passes I might use it five or six times, I guess. It just doesn't appeal to me all that much. I prefer playing with the traditional formations, I guess.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

What i do with the wildcat is go to shotgun and if i have a decent mobile qb i choose a screen play and wait like a half second and run to the olinemen i usually get 20-50 yards per run but i only use it on non expectant situations like a 3 and 20 so meh.. and i pass sometimes...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Pro

bigdfan76's Arena

OVR: 12

I think it's ridiculous that people who insist on exploiting ruin this formation for me. I like athletic QBs and HBs or WRs that are versatile. I drafted Terrell Pryor for this reason. I play with the Cowboys and I had a vision of Pryor and F.Jones running the wildcat. Well it works for the run but not the pass. We should be able to scramble just like we can in any other passing play/formation. If need be only turn it off online and turn it ON offline. That's my take on it. Thanks EA.
Baylor Bears Iowa Hawkeyes Texas Longhorns
Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

It makes me wonder why it's even in the game if they weren't going to make the AI able to deal with it.

Why would they create a formation that breaks their own AI, then cripple it when it breaks the said AI?

The logic makes no sense to me.

Of course, the real solution, imo, is to fix the AI, not cripple the play, because it IS effective in real life. Just watch Miami shove the ball down people's throats with it almost every week.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Re: Addressing Wildcat Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
It makes me wonder why it's even in the game if they weren't going to make the AI able to deal with it.

Why would they create a formation that breaks their own AI, then cripple it when it breaks the said AI?

The logic makes no sense to me.

Of course, the real solution, imo, is to fix the AI, not cripple the play, because it IS effective in real life. Just watch Miami shove the ball down people's throats with it almost every week.
Yea I found it odd that Ian Cummings himself referred to it as something he didn't want to make into an exploit...

How would being able to scramble be an exploit? It's just how the play is supposed to be run. It's like he's implying "well your opponent won't know if you plan to pass or scramble so we're going to make it so you can only pass.

Makes no sense, I'm still waiting for the NFL to tell Ronnie Brown that if he wants to throw that ball he can't leave the pocket.

And for that matter, why not just get rid of QB scrambling in general?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »