Home

What is Consecutive Tackling?

This is a discussion on What is Consecutive Tackling? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: What is Consecutive Tackling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Yeah, it's one of those catch-phrases that Apex has used that has 'caught-on' so to speak. Not to say there's no merit in what is being requested...I just don't see how people take what he says as the gospel truth i.e. "tron jogging" and any other phrase he's coined.

It isn't about taking what he says as gospel lol. There is nothing to take or not take about what he says. He doesn't say anything that isn't true. People may not like the way he goes about it. They may not like him as a person, even though they haven't met him, but he breaks down a video and shows what he is talking about. People may not think it's as big a deal as he does, but it isn't a case of lying or not lying, so I don't know why you would bring taking his word as gospel into it, unless you meant something other than the traditional way that that phrase is used.

As far as the names that he gives Madden issues sticking. These are all things that most people (even some that don't want to admit it to themselves) already know. You have to call it something. Instead of explaining the entire issue every single time, it's expedient to call it by a name that everyone recognizes so that people understand what you mean in so many words. For better or for worse, Apex has become a popular voice for expressing things that Madden does wrong, so it only makes sense that a lot of his catchphrases are one's that "stick".

YouTube is pervasive lol.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24
Thumbs down Re: What is Consecutive Tackling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madchuck4
lets not talk about Apex please.
I like talking about Apex. He is generally right. I want the game to fix the things he points out.

Consecutive hit tackling is simply a physics issue. Other games (even last gen games) allows a secondary defender to come in and make an impact on a tackle. That is all Apex is pointing out.

The game doesn't have basic physics. When a one on one tackle happens in Madden, the players are locked into whatever animation is playing, regardless of what happens around them.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
I like talking about Apex. He is generally right. I want the game to fix the things he points out.

Consecutive hit tackling is simply a physics issue. Other games (even last gen games) allows a secondary defender to come in and make an impact on a tackle. That is all Apex is pointing out.

The game doesn't have basic physics. When a one on one tackle happens in Madden, the players are locked into whatever animation is playing, regardless of what happens around them.

Unfortunately, it isn't just tackling. There are many things in Madden that can't be affected once an animation starts. Truck stick would be one that comes to mind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Unfortunately, it isn't just tackling. There are many things in Madden that can't be affected once an animation starts. Truck stick would be one that comes to mind.
This is common to many games, not even just sports games
Old 07-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 8

I don't agree with Apex all the time, but on the issue of 'consecutive hit tackles,' I do. The game needs to have true physics with regard to initial impacts, secondary impacts, and tertiary impacts...

Typically Madden handles the initial impact alright... Not spectacular, but well enough for the game to be playable. Sometimes a secondary impact is handled well, but we see just as many where it's not when players slip off. Tertiary impact is where there has been little progress...

ProTak was wonderful in that it allowed players to break out of animations earlier, but they are still "animations" strung together as opposed to forces acting on each other. While there are gang tackle pileups, but it didn't really address tertiary impact like we see in real life. In real life, everyone around the pile isn't always part of the pile, or attached to the runner. Sometimes there's just a guy standing around when another player hits him instead of the ball carrier and they both fall onto the pile, guys get hit in the back and fall away from the pile, etc...

Going foreward, we will expect these types of changes to Madden because lesser played football titles had success incorporating a better physics model than EA has.

Later
Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
This is common to many games, not even just sports games

That may be, but it makes it no less unfortunate to me, and certainly no less true.

Last edited by Only1LT; 07-16-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
In real life, everyone around the pile isn't always part of the pile, or attached to the runner. Sometimes there's just a guy standing around when another player hits him instead of the ball carrier and they both fall onto the pile, guys get hit in the back and fall away from the pile, etc...

Going foreward, we will expect these types of changes to Madden because lesser played football titles had success incorporating a better physics model than EA has.

Later
It's really a shame you have no interest in playing 2k football, because that is something they have done extremely well. It is also what makes the players on the field feel very alive. They captured all of the contact that happens "away" from the play very well, and it's really cool to see it happen onto where the play is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
It isn't about taking what he says as gospel lol. There is nothing to take or not take about what he says. He doesn't say anything that isn't true. People may not like the way he goes about it. They may not like him as a person, even though they haven't met him, but he breaks down a video and shows what he is talking about. People may not think it's as big a deal as he does, but it isn't a case of lying or not lying, so I don't know why you would bring taking his word as gospel into it, unless you meant something other than the traditional way that that phrase is used.

As far as the names that he gives Madden issues sticking. These are all things that most people (even some that don't want to admit it to themselves) already know. You have to call it something. Instead of explaining the entire issue every single time, it's expedient to call it by a name that everyone recognizes so that people understand what you mean in so many words. For better or for worse, Apex has become a popular voice for expressing things that Madden does wrong, so it only makes sense that a lot of his catchphrases are one's that "stick".
But people do take what he says as gospel. They do. He has 'fans' that cling to every word he says and they'll argue you up and down to prove his point.

As far as lying, maybe it's more of a personal issue, but I've witnessed him tell lies. Or rather, I've seen him fabricate the truth to elevate himself and his own rep. When community day went down last year, he was one of the vocal ones in saying why all of us collectively shouldn't have been invited. He then inferred that we were all down there kissing tails and not trying to improve the game. Now honestly, I'm not really concerned about Apex nor do I wake up every day with this on my mind. But you said that he doesn't tell lies and I just wanted to present a caveat to that...

Yes, you have to name the issues something. We just have different thoughts on that apparently. When I see people running with his coin-phrases, I most times think of the person as an Apex-follower. Doesn't mean I'm right nor justified in my thinking. But it's my thinking...shallow as it may seem. Here's a scenario of what I'm referring to:

1. Apex drops a video blog detailing a perceived issue with the game and names it "Horse Catching" (fake example). "EA, stop the HORSE CATCHING! Truth Chasers...I'm out".

2. Random OSer sees the video and within minutes creates this thread: "EA ENOUGH OF THE HORSE CATCHING". Inside the thread, it says "Fix this crap! Watch the video!"

That to me, is when the gamer appears to be a follower and taking Apex's words as the gospel truth. We can agree to disagree though .

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »