Home

Madden tutorial/strategy guides

This is a discussion on Madden tutorial/strategy guides within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Madden tutorial/strategy guides

I'm looking for a good video or at least image-based strategy guide or tutorial. I won't one with a strong emphasis on football strategy not necessarily Madden strategy, i.e call this play for this or call this play for that. Is there one that talks about things like reading coverages, breaks down plays to explain their strengths and weakness in certain situations(for example just because you're in nickle every play isn't good against certain types of passes), displays the ideal execution of certain plays and/or routes on offense and the effectiveness against certain defenses, explains what each player is doing on a play on defense and what will happen on certain coverages, how to place the ball on throws, and how to make certain throws against certain coverages or recognize throwing lanes(i.e throwing behind the coverage or between zones). I'm sure there is more, but I'm kind of going off the top of my head. Of course like I said, it would be nice to find one that's based around football strategy that incorporates this not just Madden strategy. Seems like most of the guides out there are nothing but money plays, how to cheese people, and how to take advantage of aspects of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Madden tutorial/strategy guides

I have searched for this and have had no luck either. Have you tried the Prima Game Guide?
Old 10-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Rookie

I have not tried Prima yet. I was going to tried VG in the past, but I never got around to it
Old 10-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I hate to pimp my own stuff, but I posted a 5 part series titled "lets talk defense" that you can find on my YouTube Channel and in My Arena. if you do watch, tell me what you think s i can make more, and make them better.

Last edited by PGaither84; 10-24-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Here is the cliff notes:

• The first rule of defense is [you do not talk about defense ] do not play defense defensively. Its your job to attack the offense.
  • When playing Madden, no matter what defensive front you are in, try not to send less than 4 pass rushers at the QB, and try to avoid plays that drop defensive linemen into coverage while you do that.
  • Zone defenses tend to work better against spread offensive fronts. By going Man, you are risking more players to lose their man in coverage. By going zone you force the QB to make good reads and make good throws while under pressure, assuming you are sending 4 or more pass rushers. It doesn't hurt to mix in a few "Double X/Z/Slot/man" man coverage plays from time to time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Rookie

I'll check out your vids, but we would need less guides if EA would come up with some combination of the virtual trainer, the mini games, and the tips you get during replays as the in-game trainer. I kinda remember a feature where the walked you through a couple plays, but I don't rememebr if that's still there. Also, it would be nice to to be able to go into the trainer from regular mode or franchise without having to exit. I've always been relatively good at playing defense in Madden, but now I'm ready to just really sharpen my skills and be better able to gameplan against whatever opponent I face. I guess part of it is just practice too. You have to practice and know what all your players do on each play

Last edited by Sonic98; 10-24-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Here is the cliff notes:

• The first rule of defense is [you do not talk about defense ] do not play defense defensively. Its your job to attack the offense.
  • When playing Madden, no matter what defensive front you are in, try not to send less than 4 pass rushers at the QB, and try to avoid plays that drop defensive linemen into coverage while you do that.
  • Zone defenses tend to work better against spread offensive fronts. By going Man, you are risking more players to lose their man in coverage. By going zone you force the QB to make good reads and make good throws while under pressure, assuming you are sending 4 or more pass rushers. It doesn't hurt to mix in a few "Double X/Z/Slot/man" man coverage plays from time to time.
Yeah but part of it is also training and football knowledge. What I didn't mention when I was talking about a tutorial is what you can and can't call based on your personnel. That goes back to plays like calling zone blitzes because most players really can't do that anyway
Old 10-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Here is the cliff notes:

I watched all of your videos a while back and enjoyed them. So you are thinking of making more? Do you know what about yet? Perhaps any offense ones?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »