Home

PS3 Resolution / GFX Problems

This is a discussion on PS3 Resolution / GFX Problems within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #33
Defensive POTY

TheRealTodd's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: PS3 Resolution / GFX Problems

This question pops up for every single game, it's probably already been answered correctly, but I'm gonna go over it again.

Provided that you have a TV that can play 1080p, your TV will ALWAYS show EVERYTHING in 1080p, it just stretches it out, this is called upscaling. Even if you play a VHS on your TV it will technically be in 1080p.

So this means that when you set up your PS3 to only play in 1080p, that the console will be doing the upscaling. Each TV is different, some are better at upscaling than others. Some games will not look good upscaled by the PS3. All you have to do is determine whether the game looks better when its being upscaled by the PS3 or by your TV.

If you want a perfect example of the difference, try playing Uncharted 2 on 720p, and then on 1080p. You'll notice that the PS3 makes the game really fuzzy on 1080p, yet everything looks crisp in 720p. Why? Because the TV is better at upscaling than the PS3.

Another issue is framerate. If your PS3 is doing the upscaling, it will be working harder, and as a result can make the game run at a slower FPS.

I haven't tried it this year, but in my experience, Madden generally looks better when the PS3 is doing the upscaling (so only check the box that says 1080p in your display settings). The framerate WILL drop slightly, but only when the camera zooms right in and there are a heap of players on screen (think goalline offense rush plays).
Old 09-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #34
Rookie

USC-Trojans's Arena

OVR: 3

My TV auto-updates from the 1080P in the XMB to 720P when I start the game.

I put it in 1080P earlier morning and it looked blurred so I put the setting back like they were before
Old 09-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #35
Rookie

NyghtSpydr's Arena

OVR: 1

It really doesnt make much of a difference, but yes, overall it looks MUCH nicer and smoother.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTodd
This question pops up for every single game, it's probably already been answered correctly, but I'm gonna go over it again.

Provided that you have a TV that can play 1080p, your TV will ALWAYS show EVERYTHING in 1080p, it just stretches it out, this is called upscaling. Even if you play a VHS on your TV it will technically be in 1080p.

So this means that when you set up your PS3 to only play in 1080p, that the console will be doing the upscaling. Each TV is different, some are better at upscaling than others. Some games will not look good upscaled by the PS3. All you have to do is determine whether the game looks better when its being upscaled by the PS3 or by your TV.

If you want a perfect example of the difference, try playing Uncharted 2 on 720p, and then on 1080p. You'll notice that the PS3 makes the game really fuzzy on 1080p, yet everything looks crisp in 720p. Why? Because the TV is better at upscaling than the PS3.

Another issue is framerate. If your PS3 is doing the upscaling, it will be working harder, and as a result can make the game run at a slower FPS.

I haven't tried it this year, but in my experience, Madden generally looks better when the PS3 is doing the upscaling (so only check the box that says 1080p in your display settings). The framerate WILL drop slightly, but only when the camera zooms right in and there are a heap of players on screen (think goalline offense rush plays).
Sorry but everything you wrote is incorrect.

Scaling is not the same as being 1080p.

The tv does have an upscaler but thst means little when the console has to lower the resolution below 720 when user forces it to 1080p

So basically your th is upscaling 640p which suffers

This is a ps3 issue in terms of upscaling

EA can be blamed for not providing equal quality in graphics hut in terms of upscaling the issue is the ps3 which does jot have a dedicated upscaler.

For best results. You need to let the ps3 display the games native resolution and then your tv can upscale that.

If you force 1080p then the ps3 lack of a dedicated upscaler chip would result in a lower then 720 resolution. This was stated by a dev.

Do you prefer your tv to upscale 720p or a lower resolution due to you forcing the ps3 to do something it can't do.

Can ps3 display true 1080p. Yesss, look at the MLB the show 09 it had true 1080p when you forced it but then thst is when framerate issues popped up therefore starting last year and this year their game got rid of true 1080p due to framerate issues.

This year and last year the show on 1080p forced was actually doing less then 720p because the ps3 lacks a dedicated upscaler

The 360 can't do native 1080 hut it has an incredible upscaler which allows all their games to display just fine on 1080p but it is not native.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3

The xbox has an upscaler built in so that it takes the 720p native data on the disc and upscales it to a 1080p signal before sending it to the tv. The PS3 prefers to output the data in it's native format, in this case 720p, and then let the tv upcale it to 1080p if needed.

Neither systems version of the game is truly 1080p by design.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #38
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
Sorry but everything you wrote is incorrect.

Scaling is not the same as being 1080p.

The tv does have an upscaler but thst means little when the console has to lower the resolution below 720 when user forces it to 1080p

So basically your th is upscaling 640p which suffers

This is a ps3 issue in terms of upscaling

EA can be blamed for not providing equal quality in graphics hut in terms of upscaling the issue is the ps3 which does jot have a dedicated upscaler.

For best results. You need to let the ps3 display the games native resolution and then your tv can upscale that.

If you force 1080p then the ps3 lack of a dedicated upscaler chip would result in a lower then 720 resolution. This was stated by a dev.

Do you prefer your tv to upscale 720p or a lower resolution due to you forcing the ps3 to do something it can't do.

Can ps3 display true 1080p. Yesss, look at the MLB the show 09 it had true 1080p when you forced it but then thst is when framerate issues popped up therefore starting last year and this year their game got rid of true 1080p due to framerate issues.

This year and last year the show on 1080p forced was actually doing less then 720p because the ps3 lacks a dedicated upscaler

The 360 can't do native 1080 hut it has an incredible upscaler which allows all their games to display just fine on 1080p but it is not native.
Giants, sometimes you seem to know what you are talking about, then sometimes you are wrong yourself...but you post as if you know 100% exactly what you are talking about while insulting others or "PS3 fanboys"

first I'd like to know where you are getting this specific 640p number from regarding Madden in "1080p" mode. did you count the pixals? or did EA Tiburon devs mention this number.

also, the 360 does support native 1080p games...I believe there are 3 retail disc games that are legit 1080p games. Virtua Tennis 3 and NBA Street Homecourt and Fifa Street 3 (EA Canada Games).

I agree with some of your other suggestions like leaving everything checked under the PS3 Display settings for best picture (besides MLB The Show 09).

Last edited by Afrikan; 09-01-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 21

like I posted in the other "PS3 graphics" thread...for those curious...besides bullet points on the back of the box, the main reason these games "support" 1080p is for Gamers who have older 1080i/480p TVs....these do not accept a 720p signal.

so what used to happen with the early next gen Maddens on the PS3, they would play in 480p (non HD) on those types of TV sets. Because those Maddens were only 720p and 480p. The 360 version has a built in scaler that took care of the upscaling, didn't matter what type of TV you had.

the PS3 has a scaler, but only the horizontal option is allowed to be used, I believe....one of the first retail PS3 games to tackle this issue, I think, was Ninja Gaiden Stigma.

anyway here is an excerpt of an old write up on the issue, goes into much better detail.

Quote:
At the time of publication, the reasons why SCEI didn’t give developers access to both horizontal and vertical scaling are still unknown, as are the reasons they didn’t grant developers access to horizontal scaling until now. The video scaler itself remains shrouded in mystery, as strange as it may seem, but at least now we can say with confidence that it does indeed exist. There are multiple reasons for this continuing secrecy, and insiders are reluctant to discuss them even off the record, nevermind for publication. Nonetheless, the reasons behind SCEI's choices are not our subject today. While a great deal could (and will) be said about the nature of this scaler in the future, today's article will focus on the recently exposed functionality; the details of its hardware and the way that it is integrated into the PlayStation 3’s architecture will be reserved for a later article.
Now, let’s describe exactly how this added capability works. How can a developer implement a 1080p/i output mode in their 720p-native game for a low cost with this partial scaling? Simply, the developer needs to support one of the new resolutions that SCEI has added to the PlayStation 3’s rendering palette. Key among these is new support for a resolution of 960x1080. This results in a framebuffer with relatively few more pixels compared to the more standard 720p, and as a result enjoys a computational cost (fillrate cost) comparable to the one associated with 720p framebuffers to begin with (921,600 pixels for 1280x720 compared to 1,036,800 pixels for 960x1080). At the same time, it benefits from eligibility to be horizontally scaled by the resident hardware scaler.
Additional 1080 rendering modes also supported now include 1280x1080 and 1440x1080. These modes, similar to 960x1080, are capable of being upscaled by the hardware into 1080p/i.

As we can see in this graph, the RAM requirements of a single 960x1080 front buffer are extremely close to a 720p front buffer.
It is worth noting that as of today, support for one of these scalable resolutions is not yet a requirement of new game development; that decision is still in the hands of the developers themselves. However, it is already strongly rumoured that such support will become mandatory through future revisions of the PS3 technical requirements checklist (TRC).
Conclusion
http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/ps3scaler/

edit ok old link doesn't work...but if you google the link, you can see graphs and slides from the article...as well as other websites that site this particular article....I'll try to find the original one.

Last edited by Afrikan; 09-01-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #40
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
Giants, sometimes you seem to know what you are talking about, then sometimes you are wrong yourself...but you post as if you know 100% exactly what you are talking about while insulting others or "PS3 fanboys"

first I'd like to know where you are getting this specific 640p number from regarding Madden in "1080p" mode. did you count the pixals? or did EA Tiburon devs mention this number.

also, the 360 does support native 1080p games...I believe there are 3 retail disc games that are legit 1080p games. Virtua Tennis 3 and NBA Street Homecourt and Fifa Street 3 (EA Canada Games).

I agree with some of your other suggestions like leaving everything checked under the PS3 Display settings for best picture (besides MLB The Show 09).
I am not insulting anybody, sorry you took it like that. Far from my intentions.

EA stated when this same issue was brought up on ncaa that forcing 1080p actually forces to a lower then 720 setting. The number I got from MLB show forum when discussing same issue on that game. A dev there said same thing.

As far as those 3 games being 1080p native, i doubt because any 360 game will go straight to whatever resolution you have checked in settings without losing detail due to upscaling. But if you know for a fact that those games are native 1080p then I believe you

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »