Home

NFL License

This is a discussion on NFL License within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #17
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: NFL License

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackRabbit
If EA asks the NFL to lower the price, then the NFL will have to lower the price because there's no other company out there (as far as we know) that is a threat to take the license. EA is negotiating with themselves. Here's the thing: is there a price that EA is willing to pay ( for the exclusive license) that will still scare off all other publishers ? If there isn't, then the NFL will probably open up the license again.
I agree, that's what it's important to know who your competitors are or might be.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #18
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

I would just prefer that no one buys the "Exclusive Licence" and just have EA vs 2K again. We'll actually get the football games that we've wanted for the last 5-7 years if that happens.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 49

I often wonder if 2k would even be interested in making a NFL game again. How would you like to get the door slammed in your face again if EA and the NFL shake hands down the road again?

IMO, the NFL should have never closed the doors to 2k. They might find that putting all their eggs in 1 basket might lead to a bad thing.

Last edited by wheelman990; 09-28-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 3

Man, 2k don't have money to outbid anybody. So the only way 2k would be able to make an NFL game is for EA to step aside which wont be happening anytime soon so stop daydreaming.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #21
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
I often wonder if 2k would even be interested in making a NFL game again. How would you like to get the door slammed in your face again if EA and the NFL shake hands down the road again?

IMO, the NFL should have never closed the doors to 2k. They might find that putting all their eggs in 1 basket might lead to a bad thing.
It's been stated by a former EA developer on the MVP series here at OS that the NFL makes more $ on a single license vs several licenses at once from different games.

The only eggs in a basket they are concerned with is the almighty dollar like any business is interested in .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0

I don't think we'll ever see competition again as long as EA can afford it PERIOD. They'll never let that license get away from them and the sad thing is they won't have to try very hard, they'll always have the money and the NFL will always be loyal to Madden cause it's all the NFL knows. I think EA have realized 2K has the NBA on lockdown, "But what about NBA Elite?" you ask? Well they couldn't care less, more money to throw at another renewal and they still have MLB, FIFA and the NFL on their side of the gaming world so unless EA goes bankrupt or some kinda law gets passed or 2K becomes a billion times richer overnight don't expect to see another NFL game from ANY other company anytime soon.

Last edited by RumbleStud; 09-29-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:26 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleStud
I don't think we'll ever see competition again as long as EA can afford it PERIOD. They'll never let that license get away from them and the sad thing is they won't have to try very hard, they'll always have the money and the NFL will always be loyal to Madden cause it's all the NFL knows. I think EA have realized 2K has the NBA on lockdown, "But what about NBA Elite?" you ask? Well they couldn't care less, more money to throw at another renewal and they still have MLB, FIFA and the NFL on their side of the gaming world so unless EA goes bankrupt or some kinda law gets passed or 2K becomes a billion times richer overnight don't expect to see another NFL game from ANY other company anytime soon.
Sadly, I think this post hit the nail on the head! Also, the NFL could care less about the QUALITY of the game, as long as it is a "clean" representation of their sport...they get their money regardless of whether sales tank or not.

Also, it'd be pretty damn difficult for ANY developer to jump back into the ring in ONE development cycle with anything of quality, since they'd all be starting from scratch...so it's doubtful any company would pile the cash on the NFL's doorstep with all things considered. Highly doubtful we'll ever see "the good ol' days again" unfortunately.

And I think the chances of the NFL going back to their old system of sales % are over, since they see now they can get a mountain of cash guaranteed!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 11

It could be inaccurate information, cuz it was just a friend telling me this over a phone conversation one time, but he was talking to me one time about how the profit EA is making isn't worth them to shell out the money for the license anymore (apparently he read articles on this?) and then mentioned something about a class action lawsuit against EA for the license. Something about monopolies or whatever.

Like I said, it was a friend talking to me over the phone once, so I don't have links or evidence. I honestly have no expectations of the license ending anytime soon, if ever. If it does though, I would be the happiest football gamer around. If 2K ever got back into the NFL football mix, I'd never buy another Madden again. I always hear conflicting reports though. One time I'll hear that the license isn't going to be renewed, or I'll hear that EA is gonna get in trouble for it, and then I hear that the license is locked up for eternity. So I have no clue. I'll just assume the license is forever until it's not anymore.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »