Home

QBs with Low Awareness

This is a discussion on QBs with Low Awareness within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: QBs with Low Awareness

In one league I drafted a low awr QB (about 20) with 80+ in all accuracies, and I made quite a few INTs like someone else described. But in my online CCM I am using stanzi from the chiefs, and having quite a lot success. He does have about 20-30 more awareness, so I'm not quite sure what to believe. But the many INTs with the very low awr QB did not "feel right", so perhaps there is something to it..
Old 01-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
For QBs, I get the feeling that QBs with low AWR tend to throw more picks, when I had my AWR 20 backup QB throw against the Ravens, pretty much every ball thrown into the general direction of Ed Reed was basically an automatic pick it was ugly, it seems as if high AWR/PRC defenders have a field day against low AWR QBs but as I said, it's hard to tell since we have no hard data.
I'm inclined to agree with this based on my experiences with the multitude of QBs I went through after Freeman in my M12 Bucs franchise.

AWR on user QBs seems to determine how much you can "get away with". I especially remember the QB I had in the current season of that franchise. Not a good QB in any way...except for his 92 AWR. Despite his accuracy ratings being terrible, he did no worse than some of those other QBs before him, including Gabbert - who in M12 was pretty accurate but had bad AWR.

When I use Flacco, I can literally force the ball and it won't get picked off. With Pryor, I can throw to someone who looks open, and some guy will calmly move over and pick it off if he's "in the area".

I think it's the game's way of trying to simulate a bad read by the QB. You know how sometimes you hear the QB "didn't see the defender"? That kind of thing. AWR probably impacts the Sense Pressure (accuracy under pressure) and Force Passes (impacts INT rates, I believe, for User QBs) as well.

RG III vs Pyror - RG III should be much better, what with his mid 80's accuracies and his sky high THP, but they play very similarly throwing the ball, and I see the same reactions. The only time the accuracy matters over the AWR from my experience is when the WR is in space - Pryor throws behind guys on slants way too much, but RG can hit them on the spot and he gets less drops.

Last edited by KBLover; 01-02-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Removed 90 AWR since that's due to CPU developing Flacco and added experience with RG III in M13
Old 01-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerat
For a QB AWR is meaningless if you are playing the games and not simming at all.
Joe Webb in my Bucs franchise and his awesome 63 AWR (and equally awesome 65/64/70 accuracies) is having the year of his life. 14 TD, 5 INT, 1600 yards in 8 games.

I don't know what ratings the M13 sim engine uses
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I'm inclined to agree with this based on my experiences with the multitude of QBs I went through after Freeman in my M12 Bucs franchise.

AWR on user QBs seems to determine how much you can "get away with". I especially remember the QB I had in the current season of that franchise. Not a good QB in any way...except for his 92 AWR. Despite his accuracy ratings being terrible, he did no worse than some of those other QBs before him, including Gabbert - who in M12 was pretty accurate but had bad AWR.

When I use Flacco and his overly high 90 AWR (are they watching the same Flacco? 90? Really?) I can literally force the ball and it won't get picked off. With Pryor, I can throw to someone who looks open, and some guy will calmly move over and pick it off if he's "in the area".

I think it's the game's way of trying to simulate a bad read by the QB. You know how sometimes you hear the QB "didn't see the defender"? That kind of thing. AWR probably impacts the Sense Pressure (accuracy under pressure) and Force Passes (impacts INT rates, I believe, for User QBs) as well.
I have noticed that some QBs can put passes in incredibly small windows with regular frequency, while others can't. Peyton Manning killed me with this in year one--he's the lone reason DEN swept the series.

Other, more average QBs, are less consistent with putting the ball right where it needs to be. Carson Palmer, for example, has good accuracy, but would have a few flat out terrible games where he threw right to the coverage instead of leading the WR.

I've also noticed Pryor and my rookie throwing slants that WR have to step back to catch, or try to one-hand. Maybe that's a manifestation of the AWR thing.

If this is how it works, that's cool. I wonder if we may be giving the game too much credit, though, all things considered. Maybe emmdotfrisk (sp?) can weigh in with some concrete, expert knowledge.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

My impression is that AWR absolutely does not matter for a user-controlled player during a game being played, but does in some way affect the 21 remaining CPU-controlled players on the field.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

This comes up a couple times a year...wish I could find the links, but I can't remember how the threads it was discussed in were titled, etc...

In MY experience your QBs AWR affects the AWR of CPU D

Low QB AWR = Boost to D AWR

Average QB AWR = No Boost to D AWR

High QB AWR = "Penalty" to CPU AWR

Easiest way to test:

Take a VERY low guy and play a half, then play the second half using a high AWR QB...

The passing lanes will be very different, as well as the percentage of receivers who are open and how long they are open for...

HBs are similar, in that high AWR / OVR guys are going to see more / bigger lanes to run through...

Last edited by KingV2k3; 01-02-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Rookie

Maizpan's Arena

OVR: 3

In order to prove whether a QB's Awareness rating affects the Awareness rating of the defenders we must first know what the Awareness rating of the defender does.

From my observation the Play call determines the initial actions of the defenders.

The Play Recognition rating determines whether and by how much a defender is "fooled" by play action or counter plays (also modified by the QBs play action rating)

The Man and Zone coverage ratings affect the ability to play Man and Zone Coverage.

Pursuit determines whether the player takes the "right" angle to the ball carrier.

In my opinion the only thing the Awareness rating of the defenders could affect is possibly avoiding penalties or recovering fumbles.

I would love to hear some other opinions and maybe we can actually find some answers.

Last edited by Maizpan; 01-02-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Readability
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizpan
In order to prove whether a QB's Awareness rating affects the Awareness rating of the defenders we must first know what the Awareness rating of the defender does.

From my observation the Play call determines the initial actions of the defenders.

The Play Recognition rating determines whether and by how much a defender is "fooled" by play action or counter plays (also modified by the QBs play action rating)

The Man and Zone coverage ratings affect the ability to play Man and Zone Coverage.

Pursuit determines whether the player takes the "right" angle to the ball carrier.

In my opinion the only thing the Awareness rating of the defenders could affect is possibly avoiding penalties or recovering fumbles.

I would love to hear some other opinions and maybe we can actually find some answers.
in my opinion, awr is the most important stat for qb and many positions

in human vs human match its not important yes decision makings are by human but still whether many non user controlled players play smart or not depends on their awr

Qb with low awr cant find open receiver or properly recognize defensive zone

also defender with high awr can make amazing plays (aka psychic DB)

it would be best to have a player who is high both at physical rating and intangible( awr , prc) but i prefer smart players
in a word awr is brain or football IQ

Last edited by heime2003; 01-02-2013 at 08:29 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »