Home

Best PS2 era Madden?

This is a discussion on Best PS2 era Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #1
Rookie

ESPOMAN's Arena

OVR: 17
Best PS2 era Madden?

I have Madden 04, 05, and 06 on the PS2 and I think 2005 is the best out of them. I have the collectors edition so the other game modes are pretty fun. I was wondering which ones you think is the best. I have heard good things about 07 and 08.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2021, 01:11 AM   #2
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Best PS2 era Madden?

Madden 08 probably.

Sorry for the off topic question, but how football smart is the PS2 AI? Could someone give me a link or explain how they made it?

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

2005 is the strongest game in terms of the CPU. You REALLY have to work at it to win. Most complain the D is too overdone.

2004 is the most unpredictable, but its just way too dated in terms of the gameplay/controls. If you've played newer versions, its practically impossible to go back that far.

I would think the best info on how the AI works is in the slider threads.

The Madden Manifesto for is also a solid resource, and probably the deepest dive on the nuts and bolts of the PS2 version of the game.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #4
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
2005 is the strongest game in terms of the CPU. You REALLY have to work at it to win. Most complain the D is too overdone.

2004 is the most unpredictable, but its just way too dated in terms of the gameplay/controls. If you've played newer versions, its practically impossible to go back that far.

I would think the best info on how the AI works is in the slider threads.

The Madden Manifesto for is also a solid resource, and probably the deepest dive on the nuts and bolts of the PS2 version of the game.
What's a "Madden Manifesto?" Where can I find it?

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:03 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButter
What's a "Madden Manifesto?" Where can I find it?
It's a document put together by an old OS user by the name of Sm27 that goes into a great amount of detail on sliders, settings, and house rules for M05. Here's a link to download it.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
Just started!

Madden 07 most definitely
Old 09-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
Rookie

Still working through these, but I'm liking '08 a lot.
I'm a roster guy, so a lot of what draws me to a game is where certain players were that year. '08 has Favre on the Packers still, T.O. on the Cowboys, etc...
Old 09-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Everyone will have different preferences. The short answer, for me, is either 07 or 08. When I went to Tiburon in Orlando Florida for the Madden 11 Community Event, I brought along my copy and box of 07 for Josh Looman and Phil Frazer to sign.

However, it all depends on what matters most to you.

SoftDrinkTV did a review of Madden 25 and featured me in the end of the video. For me, that game is the best Madden of all time.

Generation 6 (PS2/Xbox classic) Madden is fun, but lacking in so many important ways.

They don't have nearly enough position specific ratings - especially on the defensive side of the ball. The only thing defense has are physical ratings - Speed, acceleration, agility, strength, and jump - combined with awareness, tackle and "hands"/catching. There are no ratings for block shedding (run defense), power and finesse moves (pass rushing), play recognition - which is essentially awareness in reading run/pass/play action/draw/screen but also how they drop into zones and cover route cominations before the ball is thrown - man & zone coverage, press at the line, pursuit and hit power. That is a collection of 9 ratings missing on the defensive side of the ball in PS2 Madden games. As a result, when it comes time to sign a free agent, resign a player, or scout and draft a defender... what are you even looking for? Are they fast, strong, and smart? That's it. You don't build a 4/3 vs 3/4 team up front. You don't have specialty CBs like Antoine Winfield Sr. who were great at cover 2 man and cover 2 press that would jam guys at the line, cut underneath throws and could tackle the leagues best HBs on an island. you don't distinguish an Earl Thomas or Ed Reed that can play the middle third and cover sideline to sideline vs any other safety outside of thier speed and awareness ratings. PS2 Madden is about as basic as it gets on the defensive side of the ball.

PS2 Madden doesn't even have logical scouting or reports. Without meaningful defensive ratings, scouting on defense is a waste of time. However, on top of that, you literally have to do a defensive linemen pass rushing drill to unlock the run blocking rating of an offensive lineman.

Honestly, when you break it down, there is no point of scouting any player other than QB while playing PS2 Madden. Without an ability to beat the press, route running, catch in traffic, or spectacular catch ratings, what are you even scouting a WR for? Just look at their 40 time and Vertical to see if they can jump. Go to training camp if they have terrible hands. Zero reason to scout them or TEs or FBs. Why scout HBs? Again, look at how fast and agile they are. Improve their carry if you have to. Jut scout QB to see the throwing power and accuracy. There are no ratings for throw on the run, play action, different depths of accuracy or anything.

When all is said and done, if you are happy with your QB, most people just sort by the fastest players available. Even as I type this, they do the same for QB too - looking for that next Vick or Llamar Jackson.

Furthermore, the Draft in PS2 Madden is terrible. I forget which year the AI began to trade with itself and offer trades to the user, but they offer the worst trades. On the PC in Madden 08, I recorded a typical draft where the following happened:

R=Round P= Pick > = for

R1P3 > R1P17 + R3P17
I was offered R1P5 > R1P11 + R2P11
R1P8 > R1P25 + R2P25
I was then offered R1P14 > R3P11 + R4P11
R1P15 > R1P24 + R3P24
R1P20 > R1P32 + R3P32
R1P22 > R2P13 + R3P13
R1P27 > R2P2 + R4P2
I was offered R1P29 > R5P11 + R6P11

That is right, I made three first round choices with selections 5, 14, and 29 in exchange for the rest of my draft (except Round 7 pick 11). this is normal behavior year in and year out for Madden 08. I will have to go back in and simulate Madden 07 on my Xbox Classic to see how it deals with the draft. However, I find it all a disappointing mess.

==========

The off season is the heart of franchise, and the draft is the heart of the off season. With defenders being broken down to who is fast and smart and who isn't + a terrible draft experience each off season + free agency essentially being the same as the draft but with an "interest" meter on who will sign with you, the entire off season - and in turn Franchise experience - is very shallow to me.

==========

Compare that to Madden 12 and 25 with ratings + player traits that matter + useful scouting and progression + the ability to trade future draft picks + the AI will trade with itself + the solid on field game ply of Madden 12 and 25, PS2 Madden feels like a relic of the past to me.

The fun aspects of Madden on my classic Xbox that bring me back and just messing around with mini camp drills, being a user LB on defense, and being silly on offense for nostalgia.

If you just want to play around and team building in franchise mode doesn't bother you, then have fun with Madden 07 and 08. They are just that: Fun. I still have fun with them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »