Home

Rain delays and rainouts...

This is a discussion on Rain delays and rainouts... within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Rain delays and rainouts...

I remember in Baseball Pro 98 when you'd have a rain delay. It'll just say "1hour 42 minute rain delay" in the text recap window and you'd go back to playing the game without missing a beat.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:35 PM   #10
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Looking back on my life there are a few things that stand out as being totally fricking annoying: that bully kid in third grade; those zits I always got in high school; that first idiotic live-in relationship I got myself entangled in; and turning on the TV only to find that game I’ve been looking forward to all week is in a RAIN DELAY.

Next year they’ll no doubt add coaches dragging their fingernails across chalkboards in the clubhouse, or worse, Tim McCarver as the third man in the booth.
I really don't understand why people want a rain delay. It adds absolutely nothing to the game, especially sense baseball fields are covered and they rarely get wet at all.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 03-14-2006, 08:13 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
It adds absolutely nothing to the game, especially sense baseball fields are covered and they rarely get wet at all.
Pitching changes are a very intrical part of rain delays and if they are implemented right, this could add something to the game. As well as fields getting soaked during rain delays, especially in the outfield could also play a part in this as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Pitching changes are a very intrical part of rain delays and if they are implemented right, this could add something to the game. As well as fields getting soaked during rain delays, especially in the outfield could also play a part in this as well.
Okay, now you're on to something. I was about to agree with jmood and point out that gaming companies are putting TOO MUCH in games these days -- modes and features that have no point whatsoever. Really, next they'll be mo-capping players spitting. Also, it's time and effort that could have one gone into fixing what was already in the game -- and in the case of 2K, they should have spent their time on animations this year.

Apart from that, IF the feature -- rain delay, in this case -- has some real and significant effect on the game and game play, then I could see it. And those are great ideas. But the fact is, there won't be any of that in 2K6. Again, the programming involved in all that is beyond anything 2K seems interested in adding to this series. Weather has NO affect on game play. And pitchers being affected by rain delays in 2K6? No way -- they just don't have it together enough as far as their ability to program the game that intricately.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Okay, now you're on to something. I was about to agree with jmood and point out that gaming companies are putting TOO MUCH in games these days -- modes and features that have no point whatsoever. Really, next they'll be mo-capping players spitting. Also, it's time and effort that could have one gone into fixing what was already in the game -- and in the case of 2K, they should have spent their time on animations this year.

Apart from that, IF the feature -- rain delay, in this case -- has some real and significant effect on the game and game play, then I could see it. And those are great ideas. But the fact is, there won't be any of that in 2K6. Again, the programming involved in all that is beyond anything 2K seems interested in adding to this series. Weather has NO affect on game play. And pitchers being affected by rain delays in 2K6? No way -- they just don't have it together enough as far as their ability to program the game that intricately.
Yeah, if they're going to add rain-outs, they need to do a heck of a lot more than just...well...add rain-outs in order to even make it worth the time it takes to put it in there. If that's what jmood was talking about, then I agree. As for motion captures of spitting? Don't give them any ideas.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:02 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoud
As for motion captures of spitting? Don't give them any ideas.
I've felt that way about games ever since they added push-button fighting to hockey video games -- truly one of the most juvenile and moronic "features" ever created for a video game. Or cheerleaders in football games: really, are the boys and men who play video games so undersexed that they need to “get some” with help from EA Sports or SEGA/VC?

Hockey is skating and firing a puck; football is running and passing; baseball is hitting, pitching and fielding. IMO, they add all the other stuff because people are so dulled in their sense lives via TV, movies and media. It’s actually mass neurosis. Nobody has an imagination or attention span anymore – which is why they demand all this peripheral stuff in their games, and why game companies feel they have to accommodate them.

Last edited by baa7; 03-15-2006 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:20 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

If all you want is "hitting, pitching and fielding" then go play Baseball Stars on the NES, why do you even need a PS2 or XBOX?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #16
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
I have always wanted this aspect in games, one of these years we'll get it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »