Home

The MLB 2K9 Developers Are Listening

This is a discussion on The MLB 2K9 Developers Are Listening within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: The MLB 2K9 Developers Are Listening

More realistic bat on ball sounds, its more of a knock then the ridiculous crack 2k games have had for a few years now.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #74
MVP

dodgerblue's Arena

OVR: 19

Put progressive lighting back in the game

Use signature specific player animations for defense. Just played a game with Jeff Kent and he kept fielding backhand positioned like a SS or top def 2B. irl he would try to run around the ball and field forehand.

Fix the herky jerky fly ball catching animation

Fix the grass

Fix the strikezone, it's too high! This will probably add walks to the game!

Work on the velocity of the hits, Hard liners v. soft bloops and dunks.

The makers of the game should also visit the sliders section to see where gamers have to tweak things to make the games more realistic. That should give them an idea of where alot of improvement needs to come from (ie-fielder reaction, basestealing, errors, strikes etc.)

Include old ballparks, old teams and uni's.... And don't make us have to unlock them! I hate that!

Also as has been said previously by myself and others, let us play any other game not a part of our dynasty during the season a la the ncaa series.

Last edited by dodgerblue; 09-21-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 1

I am in agreement with those who have suggested replacing Miller and Morgan. Their commentary has become repetitive and stale. Much like NHL 2K9 has done with Hahn and Remenda, the change of commentary should be refreshing.

Improvements to the logic behind the franchise mode. Specifically:

1. September call-ups

2. Disabled list fix (In real-life baseball, a player can remain on the DL for more than the amount of days that they are assigned to the DL. In the 2K series, a player that ends the assigned days is reassigned to the team, even if they are still injured.)

3. Rosters improvement (When Orlando Hernandez was hurt, I placed him on the DL. However, I had to add a player to A to reach the roster requirement at that level.)

4. Option limits (In real-life certain players cannot be optioned (at least) from the MLB to the minor leagues, and others can. I suggest this, but it is not required.)

5. Rule 5 draft and implications (Players selected in Rule 5 draft must be offered back to a team if the drafting team intends to option the player to the minor leagues or between minor leagues (I believe). Players may be offered up during a Rule 5 draft process in the mode. Less a requirement than a suggestion.)

Those are the major problems that I see. I should note that I am not really an online gamer, nor a frequent gamer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #76
Rookie

Brave22's Arena

OVR: 5

I agree w/ most of the previous ideas...

Just make it a great game w/ deep options as baseball should be....deep franchise like the 2k college basketball games w/ deep financials like ASB and even do some off the field stuff like the Power Pros games....

That being said, it would be an INSTANT buy for me and many others if you guys did a career mode ala "Road to the Show".....I can not tell you how much this would mean to many gamers to be able to create one player and follow him from signing w/ a team and then to A-ball all the way to the majors...while MLB from Sony does it decent, I believe you guys at 2K could do it REALISTIC and even BETTER!

Oh...and read this article:

http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=626

THAT will give you a great insight to how inspirational a certain game has been...

The Show mode is impressive....just get MANY ideas from that and use them for your NEW! Career Mode in 2K9

That in particular from Sony almost led to me buying a PS3 just for that particular game....now that right there shows that w/ some effort a mode like this would inspire and motivate gamers all around to pick up MLB2K9 if you add this type of feature...

Just put a lot of effort into your game and go over the top for us gamers....thats all we ask and you'll certainly be rewarded w/ many purchases and many loyal gamers for years to come.
--If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more of it to get started then anyways now do you? --

Last edited by Brave22; 09-22-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added one more important piece of info
Old 09-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 28

For all inquiring minds, the OP of this thread IS monitoring all of these posts and is in the proccess of being forwarded. I actually got confirmation of this so its good that all of these awesome ideas arent wasted on a pointless wishlist. In short...keep posting
Old 09-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #78
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Most has been covered, but here is my .02

1) It's time for defense to start requiring more control. For 20 years we've been running to a spot to let the computer take over. How about using a button to time the catch like you would with a receiver in a football game. As the ball comes, you pull the R trigger and your fielder lifts his glove. In the last few years, hitting and pitching mechanics have become more complex; fielding should follow suit.

2) Test your sim engine against realistic stats. On a given year, you should be within 5-10% of an average MLB stat. There should be pitchers with 200+ strike outs.

3) Get someone who knows how to pitch to help out with pitch selection. 0-2 changeups up and in are never a good pitch. 3-2 curveballs against a pitcher are also unrealistic. This game needs a baseball IQ when it comes to pitch sequences and setting up hitters.

3a) This game also need's an IQ system to recognize tendencies. If a hitter chases a curve in the dirt 90% of the time, the computer should try to exploit this until the hitter makes an adjustment. Or if a hitter takes the first pitch every time, the computer should react by piping a fastball until the hitter adjusts.

4) Like MVP 05, there needs to be a system put in place to help the hitter recognize the pitch type. A huge part of hitting is reconizing what pitch is being thrown by picking up the spin of the ball. The ball is two small to do this in a video game and the color code was the perfect fit.
-To make it realistic, every hitter should have a rating for recognizing pitches and every pitcher should have a rating for hiding the ball. The average of the two should be the result of when the color is shown.

5) More fastball. Most pitchers throw 60-70% fastballs.

6) Fewer HR's.

7) More walks on both sides (Human and AI)

7B) To get more walks from a human pitcher, the system needs to be tweaked so that a guy like Barry Zito does not have the ablitly to locate his pitches like Greg Maddux. This can easily be accomplished by making it so Zito's circle never shrinks as small as Maddux's. Maddux's should shrink to a size slightly bigger than a baseball and Zito's should be the size of a volleyball or a basketball. Another way to fix this is to have variable meter speeds, so a control guy has a smoother, slower and less variable speed and a wild guy has sudden, jerky and highly variable speeds. This would make it easier to get into a groove with a guy like Webb and hard to do so with a guy like Jiminez. As the game goes on, the pitchers performance can dictatge change. If he is on, the meter can become easier and if he is wild it can become more difficult.

8) Better looking uniforms. The A's have black uni's, but the matching hat is dark grey.

9) Get rid of Joe and John and bring in someone who can put in the time to make the presentation better.

10) Scrap all cut scenes and start from scratch. They are so outdated, the make the game feel instantly old.

11) More in game sounds. Let's hear: a guy digging in the box, a fastball hissing and then popping the glove, a bat shattering, a player calling for the ball, a runner barreling into second to break up a double play, a ball being caught, a base coach yelling for a player to score, etc.

12) Get rid of the damn Organ. Seriously, only a few stadiums use it. The others don't.

12a) Update all ingame sound tracks

13) Shoot the PA guy. I don't need to hear 10 times a game that John Smoltz won the Roberto Clemente award. Also, he should never be talking during action.

14) All Star Game logic. Expand rosters, use pitchers for 1-2 innings and try to get in as many players as possibe. Add the HR derby to the festivities and make it feel like an event.

15) Make the playoffs feel special. More dialouge, louder crowds, colder weather, special markings on the field, etc. It should feel electric to win a close playoff game.

16) Make the World Series worth it. If you play 162 games plus 15-20 playoff games, the celebration should be awsome.

17) Create a Team-It as in Baseball Stars 20 years ago. It's in NFL and NBA games, why not MLB?

18) This game desperately needs something similar to "Road to the Show." It needs another game type in which the user can actually play out a career. With 162 games, it's damn near impossible for a regular guy to be able to manually accumulate a career's worth of stat's. A similar version of the Show's RTTS would do wonders to this series.

Last edited by Trevytrev11; 09-23-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #79
Banned

OVR: 3

CHANGE THE STADIUM SOUNDS, THEYRE TERRIBLE.

DOOT DOOT DOOT DOO DOO DOOT DOOT DOOT DOO DOO DOO
Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 2

For the Sliders. Please make them numbers. Just because they are called sliders doesn't mean they need to actually look like sliders. It is painfully trying to edit the sliders with out a numerical reference. I would be very grateful if you did this. Also please fix the fielding delay when going to catch a ball. I don't like how the player slows down in frame rate. Oh and please please make the font bigger in the menus. Please it hurts my eyes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »