Home

The MLB 2K9 Developers Are Listening

This is a discussion on The MLB 2K9 Developers Are Listening within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #65
Rookie

idesign2's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The MLB 2K9 Developers Are Listening

I'll stick to the very specific parts of the game that bothered me this year. These may be minor compared to others mentioned in this thread, but they need addressed just the same:

1) When a pitcher is ejected or injured on the mound, new pitchers shouldn't be brought into the game cold. Either show the new pitcher warming up a little, or just skip to the action with his readiness at 100.
2) When managing a game using SIM mode, give me an option to warm up a pitcher while my team is batting. Right now, I have to remember to warm up a pitcher a full inning before using him, otherwise he'll be cold coming into the game.
3) Change the home run camera angle so that during replays I can actually see where the ball lands. I loved in MVP being able to see the ball bounce around the scoreboard and empty bleachers. In 2K8, the weird zoom of the camera makes it impossible to enjoy a HR.
4) GIVE US A RESPONSIVE CROWD THAT APPEARS TO BE AT LEAST SOMEWHAT AWAKE.
5) The new pitching mechanism is great, please keep it!
6) I would LOVE to see a weekly highlights package in franchise mode, something along the lines of ESPN 2K5's Sportscenter. The current franchise mode is OK as it is, but I'm looking for something that will give me a "wow" experience. Seeing highlights from other games would go a long way toward achieving this.
7) Please, please, please stop hiding uniforms and stadiums in crazy achievements that I have no interest in attaining. This is one of the best parts of the game, and you're actively preventing me from enjoying it.

Thanks for reading.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #66
Pro

OVR: 8

Absolutely bring back the hitting cursor. It should be one of the top two options along with bringing back zone hitting. If you decide to keep swing stick, stick it as a distant third option for the experiment that it is. Just because swing stick is proclaimed as "realistic" that doesn't make it FUN. I don't think it's a coincidence that the game has gone down the toilet since 2k6 (swing stick, among other things like stripping all that was good from previous 2k versions).

Another thing I'll be in the minority over (first being a resounding get rid of swing stick), gameplay gameplay gameplay. Screw modes (yeah I said it). I got into this video baseball thing to PLAY VIDEO BASEBALL. If you get a solid, ADDICTING, smooth, BEAUTIFUL, FUN game of baseball, then by all means spend some time working on a manager text mode and franchise mode that I'll never play. Seriously go play fantasy baseball or something if you want that stuff, I'm trying to give you $60 for $60 worth of BASEBALL.

Don't let me get on your nerves swing stick and franchise lovers. I know you're out there. I'm just trying to get this perspective out there. I know many people personally that don't use message boards - who think the latest 2k baseball offerings are an absolute chore. We just want our SIMPLE and ADDICTING gameplay that we got used to from 2002, 2003, and 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
A lot of this has already been stated...

1) Overall, gameplay is #1 by a long shot. Tone down or eliminate the arcade feel of the game.

4) PLEASE BRING BACK THE HITTING CURSOR! I don't care if it's the 3rd hitting option and you have Hit Stick 5.7 and zone hitting ahead of it. Just copy the code from 2K4!

Last edited by bakesalee; 09-19-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #67
Pro

So...seriously, are they listening?
Old 09-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #68
Banned

OVR: 28

Side note here but two things that I think this game needs is player head tracking when the ball is in play, as well as glove tracking when the ball is in the range. 2k has ALWAYS messed this up. A graound ball would get hit to me and the player would just run right by the ball instead of picking it up and throwing it.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 2

Off the top of my head:

- Use the hitting and pitching scheme from the Pro Yakyuu Spirits series
- Dynamic advertisements in stadiums
- Use the 2K Insider (new NBA 2K9 feature) for MLB 2K9
- 60FPS locked
- Use the roster updating method from NBA 2K9
- Include futuristic stadiums (Cisco Field, Target Field)
- Flexible roster editor (be able to edit all names)
- Expansion Team mode with a stadium editor
- Playoff Mode or Tournament mode
- Inside Edge built-in
- Points system similar to MVP 2005
- No swing stick, contact/power buttons are okay.
- Pitching meter is alright too.
- Get rid of that frontend font, it's been used throughout the 2K series since 2006.

Lastly, just...please, don't Madden-ize the controls.

Last edited by Kccitystar; 09-21-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #70
Pro

I agree 100% KC City Star:

-Simplified game play (hitting, pitching)

-Buffed up presentation (60FPS, dynamic ads, new fonts, colors)

Basically let's take some dedicated professionals and have them recreate WSB 2k's simplicity and add the beauty and innovation with potential of modern technology (graphics, lighting, colors, presentation, physics). Why isn't improving on what was done perfectly in previous versions the natural progression of this formerly wonderful series!?!

Last edited by bakesalee; 09-21-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #71
Pro

JoshCA916's Arena

OVR: 17

Put more effort to making the PS3 version as good as the 360 version for 2k9. I loved 2k baseball until this year and I had to buy the show which i don't really care for either, just dont get the headaches from frame rate issue playing the show. I know its possible to make a game as good on the PS3 as the 360 as i have seen EA do it with NCAA and Madden this year as well as 2k(Rockstar) do it with GTA 4. So the major question is, is 2k even saying anything about making 2k9 for the PS3 and keeping it as not being the step sister system for the game? All i ask is it to be even, or a whole lot closer then it was for 2k8. Just give us an option to play a good game on the PS3, I had 2k7 on the 360 and it was great.

Online please make this a major focus this year also, lag, lag, lag. It needs to be fixed, most people buy this game to play online, and play in your online leagues, its great for the sim gamer who can set up a league with 16 good guys who play legit and have great competition.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 14

Agree make the PS3 version as good as 360.

Go back to 2k7 graphics style

Dump Miller and Morgan

Get Rid of Inside Edge report buying

I enjoyed 2k7 and played more games then The Show 07. 2K8 I havent even got through 1 game on PS3 (although I tried)

How about 2k lower the price of 2k9 for PS3 owners (since 2k8 is unplayable) wishful I know

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »