Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 Demo Available, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 Demo Available, Post Your Impressions Here within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #889
Rookie

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
my impression is this game is shoddy at best just like the last two and the only reason 2k sports sells any copies of it is because of uninformed ps3 buyers and no competition on the 360.

plusses and minuses

- the fielding controls are sluggish and flat out horrendous

- baserunning controls same thing

- bad and inappropriate animations that look stupid

- the AI is horrible. i just got in a pickle and spent 5 minutes and 200 throws running back and forth before i got tired of it and just ran into the out. saw carlos pena decide to go for a triple with 1 out for no reason in a scoreless game and get thrown out by half a basepath. fielders missing balls for no reason because the controls are garbage

- they dumbed down the pitching which i thought was a neat feature.

- there are no replays in the demo and i'm guessing that's because
they run at 5 frames per second

+ inside edge is cool

+ some of the presentation is cool, but i really don't give a crap about it if i can't field a routine ball without it turning into a ridiculous slow motion horror show

+ the quick menus with the dpad are nice

+ they improved the framerate from "wtf were they thinking" to "terrible"

2k needs to re prioritize how their game works. it's like what's going on in the field during the game is just filler and the cutscenes, and whatever stupid crap the announcers are saying is what they want you to be impressed with.
What does that remind me of. Oh yeah NBA2K9
Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #890
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Demo Available, Post Your Impressions Here

Just finished playing he demo and very much improved, but just not worth a purchase for me, like I said, very improved. Kudos to 2k for getting the MLB series back on track. I have been spoiled by the other game too much.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #891
Rookie

OVR: 6
OK, i FINALLY downloaded & played this demo 3 times. Coming into this, i was pretty upbeat about this game. I only have a PS3, so i've been reading comments & checking out the vids the past couple weeks. From the vids, it looked like a pretty good game. I'm not a MLB The Show fanboy, nor am i a 2K *****. I downloaded both demos last yr when I got my PS3 & a short time later purchased MLB The Show '08. There was no comparison & I dont think a lot of people will disagree. I downloaded MLB The Show '09 demo the day it was released & was amazed at how SCEA made a GREAT game even better. i didnt think it was possible & they did. Now, for 2K9. As I stated, i was looking forward to playing it & not just watching vids of it. & I have to say, its an improvement over 2K8, yes...but not nearly in the same league as The Show. To me, The Show is a MUCH more 'polished' game in every area over 2K9. i must say though, i do like the hitting technique w the joystick in 2K9. it does make it fun. that & the commentary are very good. but thats where it ended for me. For those that dont have a PS3, 2K9 is a decent game & i really do feel bad for those that dont get a chance to play The Show because it really is a masterpiece for a sports game. From the graphics, to lighting, stadiums, player, player sizes, faces, ALL the details...The Show wins hands down. I was very disappointed w 2K9, but im glad to finally play it because it made my mind up come next week. I had a couple issues w the gameplay in 2K9 that actually made me laugh. Here's just 1 example. I was playing as the Rays & had bases loaded w no outs. My batter (i think it was Navarro) popped a foul ball right behind the plate which the catcher caught. I was down 2-0, when all of a sudden, i see on the screen that my guy on 2nd started running to 3rd. But the guy on 3rd wasnt running & the catcher had the ball!!!! i didnt know why the hell he started running...i didnt press anything. needless to say, it was a dbl play & i lost 2-1. This would honestly never happen in The Show. Maybe next year 2K Sports will come w a better baseball game, but '09 belongs to The Show again...there's honestly no comparison
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 PM   #892
Rookie

& BTW, for those that say its just a DEMO & the final product is gonna be a lot better....even if that's so, its pretty scarey then what '09 The Show's final product will be like after playing just the demo. Might as well give it a perfect 10 right now
Old 02-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #893
All Star

nyisles16's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
Rundowns/"pickles" are in the demo...I tried stealing third and both the second and third basemen chased me down after they threw the ball back and forth a few times. It does exist, it just doesn't happen every time.
I have to agree.. At first I just saw the "throws", but in the next few games I saw more active fielders in rundowns - whereas I was tagged by the 2b man in between 1st and 2nd..
Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #894
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. JDM
& BTW, for those that say its just a DEMO & the final product is gonna be a lot better....even if that's so, its pretty scarey then what '09 The Show's final product will be like after playing just the demo. Might as well give it a perfect 10 right now
You know, this comment might work better in the Show forum.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #895
Rookie

i dont mean it like that. what im saying is i see a lot of responses saying that the demo of 2K9 is not a fair representation of the final product. However, to me, The Show '09 demo is far better than the 2K9 demo, so i cant imagine then what the final product will be like. Even if it was the same as the demo, theres no comparison. I'd take the demo version of The Show '09 over the final version of 2K9 anyday
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #896
Pro

JoshCA916's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy
So glad I have a PS3 and a choice. The only thing this demo had going for it was some of the presentation style and camera angles.

Not a single replay of any play though? I kept serving up HR's to try and get one and no dice.

I did like all the stuff constantly going on...as in the relief pitcher warming up in the background during the inning before he got brought in...nice touches.

If your a 2k fan this one is a big first step in the right direction. But I really can't see myself ever grabbing this instead of the show.
come on now this is a bare bones demo no replays with it i have my impressions but this isn't the post for it

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »