Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #793
Rookie

Pasdabru's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Sorry I'm kind of posting my observations in random pieces but have been getting some games in tonight and randomly posting what I've some across.

This is a minor detail - but has anyone thrown a slider and actually had it tell you threw one where it shows the pitch type and speed. I get it all the time for every other pitch but never has it told me I actually threw a slider despite me knowing the motion was perfect. It doesn't state I threw anything different but refuses to show the pitch type and speed where the ball strike count is when i throw that pitch.

On a different note - I will say this is the first year I've switched to the total control settings since both the pitching and batting seem improved and are actually fun. Although I would switch back to classic pitching if they would bring back to same classic meter from the last two years.

Overall I think this is a good enough game to stop me from buying a ps3 for the show, the fielding feels great this year and the overall gameplay seems much improved. Only real graphical complaint is get rid of the horrible dirt clouds that occur way too often.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #794
Pro

OVR: 7

can you eliminate,pitching meter, ball trail, strike flashes with an on/off option?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #795
Rookie

OVR: 3

I threw a slider and had it read "Slider" once during my game. The game kept confusing my slider motion for a curveball. Kinda annoying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #796
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
great song great impressions my friend!
Thanks!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #797
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1
I threw a slider and had it read "Slider" once during my game. The game kept confusing my slider motion for a curveball. Kinda annoying.
You were likely getting the gesture wrong. The slider and curve have a similar motion and the analog stick is very sensetive in terms of straight to the left/right versus the angle of the curveball gesture.

I have to pay a bit of extra attention on mine anyway, as my stick tends to drift a bit under my control...lol.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #798
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe
can you eliminate,pitching meter, ball trail, strike flashes with an on/off option?
The ball trail can be turned off. Everything else must stay on, I believe.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #799
Rookie

Pasdabru's Arena

OVR: 2

One last question - Since I just to using the default batting controls this year how the heck do you check your swing. I'm sure it is stopping you forward motion on the R analog stick but damned if I've been able to do it.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #800
Rookie

OVR: 14

Finished second game, it was a nail-biter, 12 innings. Dodgers at Giants, I decided to be San Fran and check out the cover boy (who incidentally enough is mentioned as such during pre-game). More random thoughts.

-I'm really beginning to think that in order to get strikeouts you have to ignore the catcher. Batters seemed to be more aggressive in this game, though it didn't add up to much, they only had a few hits (until a near-fluke 2 run HR by Blake DeWitt...must have been a fluke...). But pitch count remained really low for me, a lot of 2-seamers, which got swung upon every damn time practically, and grounded out a lot.

-While hitting up on the L-stick might draw hits into HRs, this does not hold true for the Giants. I couldn't hit a HR if the game depended on it (which it did...twice). However, Bengie Molina hit a great triple because of Juan Pierre's incredible fielding and throwing arm.

-I found myself getting frustrated at the Dodgers swinging at everything. However, while I wasn't as impressed with the pitching in this one, the fielding was really good (save for a bonehead play by Pierre and one by Rowand which cost me the game), and there were quite a few good diving grabs. Plus Fred Lewis threw out a runner at home, quite hilarious and awesome.

Still having fun with the game. I'm trying to find other fun teams to play with, aside from my Redbirds. I also think I'm going to try out some sets of sliders to see if it helps with the aggression. It's not at the level of game ruiner, but I did notice it a bit more, which is funny since Lince is one of the best starters in this game. Maybe it's the 2-seamer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »