Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #809
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by therockstar2005
VikingFan, for you, I will sim through a year in chise right now. I have the time, only preparing for midterms . Keep in mind at school I have no internet, so the patch has not been applied, so if I go into the offseason don't trust my results. I'll start simming and post results when completed.
Much appreciated. Any info is good info this early.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Old 03-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #810
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

I can't decide what to do. I have no system right now. My xbox died and was out of warranty. I can't decide if I should get a 360 and this game. Or get a PS3 and the Show.

Now here's there thing. I got bored with the show last year. I hate the fielding. It feels like auto fielding to me. I think one of the reasons I got bored with it, is because I have been playing the series exclusively since MLB 2006.

I really liked the 2k9 demo. I thought the pitching was great as was the hitting. I also liked the fielding. However this game is just getting hammered by everyone here. I mean it seamed the early impressions were positive and now people are calling for VC's head. So i don't know. I just don't want to make the wrong decision.

My wife and stepdaughter are pushing for a 360 because they like Fable 2. So that's another thing.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #811
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
I can't decide what to do. I have no system right now. My xbox died and was out of warranty. I can't decide if I should get a 360 and this game. Or get a PS3 and the Show.

Now here's there thing. I got bored with the show last year. I hate the fielding. It feels like auto fielding to me. I think one of the reasons I got bored with it, is because I have been playing the series exclusively since MLB 2006.

I really liked the 2k9 demo. I thought the pitching was great as was the hitting. I also liked the fielding. However this game is just getting hammered by everyone here. I mean it seamed the early impressions were positive and now people are calling for VC's head. So i don't know. I just don't want to make the wrong decision.
Is the game different on the PS3 then it is on the XBOX?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #812
Rookie

MaricopaMetFan's Arena

OVR: 2

Ten runs on eighteen hits, 11 for extra bases (six doubles, and two run shots for Church, Castro, Beltran and Delgado twice). One walk and one hit batsman for each side. No steals for Reyes, despite four singles. Sean Green and Duaner Sanchez record six outs on nine pitches.

Game ends on a bases loaded strikeout by Church. Reds nailed Santana for eight and Parnell for four more.

Sliders might need a little tweaking...
Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 AM   #813
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Is the game different on the PS3 then it is on the XBOX?
Well the 360 would save me 100 bucks. And I really don't see the point of having 2 baseball games.

You have the game right? How are you liking it?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #814
Rookie

OVR: 14

cubsfan, this is for you too.

I started with everything automated to the CPU, just so y'all know. At the All Star Break things are looking like this:

Top 8 in AL: Tigers (54-34), Yankees (54-37), Red Sox (52-36), Indians (48-41), Rangers (44-44), Twins (44-45), Rays (44-46), Mariners (42-46)

Top 8 in NL: Marlins (54-36), Reds (50-38), Cubs (49-39), Dodgers (48-39), Padres (48-40), Phillies (48-40), Astros (46-43), Cards (47-45)

There are some notable injuries, but not a whole lot of them. Matt Holliday, Rick Ankiel, Vernon Wells, Luke Scott, Justin Duchscherer are some notable ones.

Trades seem to be of a balanced variety, some a bit strange. A few notables to me:
-WAS - Daniel Cabrera for DET - Jeremy Bonderman
-HOU - Carlos Lee, Roy Oswalt, Wandy Rodriguez for PHI - Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Jake Rust (OK, this one is a bit farfetched, though I could argue it's at least somewhat balanced)
-CHI - Jeff Samardzija for SD - Kevin Kouzmanoff
-ANA - Vlad Guerroro for TEX - Ian Kinsler (again, not real sure)
-COL - Franklin Morales for NYY - Chien-Ming Wang (???)

Otherwise, trades were mostly minor league players, or I didn't recognize. And, my opinion, while these seem somewhat odd, specifically the HOU and PHI one, at least they're trading superstar for superstar, I can remember other games where real boneheaded trades would take place. (Oh MLB Power Pros, how I miss thee)

Stat wise, things I'm noticing:
-Highest AVG is really high ("Daniel Murphy" of the Mets hitting .394, but only after 64 games, Jeter is next at .361, Bay at .358)
-HR numbers look pretty good (tops are 23 for Jason Kubel and Carlos Pena, Brandon Inge has 22, Carlos Lee has 21, Ryan Howard and bunch of others w/ 20)
-RBIs seem good, too (highest is 77 for Texeira) as well as steals (Willy Taveras w/ 35, Carl Crawford w/ 34, BJ Upton w/33)
-ERA seems to be pretty good (5 below 3) along with W-L records; highest K is at 132 (Peavy), the 129 (Harang)
-Walks might be a bit low (Volquez has most at 67 with Burnett)
-Saves might be low (Chris Perez has the most at 16...I'm not joking)

Ok, I think that's enough for the All Star break, will finish simming and report the rest.
Go STL Rams...please don't get Sam Bradford killed...
Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #815
Pro

USCTrojan83's Arena

OVR: 6

My biggest issue with the game so far is the stats that pop up while the batter is walking to the plate.

Angels vs A's

Kendry Morales - 6th in Saves for 2008
Kendry Morales - 11th in Triples for 2008 (He didnt even have 1 triple in 2008)
Mike Napoli - 3rd in Triples for 2008 (He had 1 triple in 2008)
Vlad Guerrero - 13th in save for 2008

Another issue was the A's new OF Matt Holliday supposedly was 3rd or 4th in the AL in regards to Batting Average. Last Time I checked Holliday played in the NL not AL.

In 5 games I posted 7 errors all catching line drives. Looks like 2K9 thinks Vlad is terrible in the outfield as he was the reason for 5 of those.

Minor complaints but the Stats issue really bugs me when Fielders are having supposedly been in the top 25 for 2008

Another issue is that there is no way to check you pitchers stamina without waiting until a new batter comes to the plate to check stamina within the SUB PITCHER menu. The old 2K system I remember being able to pull up pitch count, balls vs strikes, etc just while on the pitchers mound....have yet to find this option, so if anyone has an idea without pausing the game every 6-9th inning it would be greatly appreciated.

The last issue was something that I wonder if anyone else has seen was the fact that while playing with "Hurry Up" Option turned on I cant get past the 8th inning. The 360 just freezes and the screen goes black. Its happened every since I turned the option on, and now I will try to see if it happens a 3rd time.
Buffalo Bills
San Francisco 49ers
MLB Baseball
Los Angeles Angeles of Anahiem
Atlanta Braves
NHL Hockey
Los Angeles Kings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #816
Rookie

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Well the 360 would save me 100 bucks. And I really don't see the point of having 2 baseball games.

You have the game right? How are you liking it?
pjy, I'd say this. If you liked the demo because of the gameplay, and if you want fun gameplay at the sometimes sacrifice of "true life stats" then you'll probably like 2k9. It might not always be the best or most realistic representation in terms of some stats (walks and Ks), but I think it's proving to be fun.

If you really do want more of a real sim experience, and like having the stats tend to be better, the show is probably more where you want to go. I think the Show is probably overall the better game, and I do like 2k9. But for me and my semi-short attention span, I think 2k9 is going to be a good fit. It has the options I want.

Ok, now to sim to the end of season 1.
Go STL Rams...please don't get Sam Bradford killed...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »