Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 03-04-2009, 12:57 AM   #817
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Well the 360 would save me 100 bucks. And I really don't see the point of having 2 baseball games.

You have the game right? How are you liking it?
No I don't have it, my friend does. I like it, but I am graphic whore. Big time! I can't get over some of the herky jerky animation. And that bat sound. I like the pitching animation, but I hate and I mean hate the swinging animation. Too me I would buy a PS3 for the one game and I would buy a 360 for one game. I have my whole life. It all started with the Genesis. So I just continue to go down that route. The only game system I didn't was the Saturn and they have a kick *** baseball game too.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:01 AM   #818
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by therockstar2005
pjy, I'd say this. If you liked the demo because of the gameplay, and if you want fun gameplay at the sometimes sacrifice of "true life stats" then you'll probably like 2k9. It might not always be the best or most realistic representation in terms of some stats (walks and Ks), but I think it's proving to be fun.

If you really do want more of a real sim experience, and like having the stats tend to be better, the show is probably more where you want to go. I think the Show is probably overall the better game, and I do like 2k9. But for me and my semi-short attention span, I think 2k9 is going to be a good fit. It has the options I want.

Ok, now to sim to the end of season 1.
Thanks, I think I am more of have fun and not really worry about the stats baseball gamer. I honestly don't care if a pitchers WHIP is what it should be, or Jake Peavy only averages 3 K's a game.

In the demo, I was able to draw walks. Get the cpu to watch strikes, and didn't have any weird fielding glitches.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #819
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
No I don't have it, my friend does. I like it, but I am graphic whore. Big time! I can't get over some of the herky jerky animation. And that bat sound. I like the pitching animation, but I hate and I mean hate the swinging animation. Too me I would buy a PS3 for the one game and I would buy a 360 for one game. I have my whole life. It all started with the Genesis. So I just continue to go down that route. The only game system I didn't was the Saturn and they have a kick *** baseball game too.
If you are talking about World Series 98 on the Saturn, that is my favorite baseball game of all time. And I mentioned before, that the demo had a WSB 98 feel to it. IMO
Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #820
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9

I like the game. Played 3 games and parts of otehr to mess around. I wasn't going to buy it, but I got the hunger after work. I think the AI is really solid. Its one spot where I think this game realy shines. the computer makes good decisions on where to throw the ball and whatnot. it keeps you fairly honest. The CPU batter aggression is frustrating, but I can deal for now. Every so often I'd stumble upon a few strikes looking, but very rarely. I really feel like, especially after looking at all of the IE stuff for CPU batters, that there is something over riding that, something really weird. I have hope. With a single slider tweak however, I was able to get the CPU pitchers to throw my batters a really nice mix of balls and strikes. I had several long at bats. For the most part, very good baseball is being played on this field.

I did have some bugs. A freeze first of all, on a Mauer homer. There were some goofy fielding situations by my team as well as the CPU and Morneau failed to touch first on a double play when he clearly was milling around the bag the entire time. Hopefully all of that nonsense will be cleaned up by a patch.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #821
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
If you are talking about World Series 98 on the Saturn, that is my favorite baseball game of all time. And I mentioned before, that the demo had a WSB 98 feel to it. IMO
Yep that is the game I am talking about I try to figure it, becasue it is still swore subject. I am still piss I didn't buy a Saturn, but I was young and broke. I don't know if it was 98. I think I was younger and I don't remember being married. But maybe I was. I think it was 98. I brought a pS1 and becasue of Madden. Then I bought a Dreamcast because of 2k football. Then I bought a PS2 because of Madden. Then I bought a XBOX, because of ESPN baseball and then I bought a PS2, becasue of the Show and then I bought a 360, becasue of 2k baseball and then I bought a PS3, becasue of the Show! Yep. All becasue of one game!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #822
Rookie

StatMan79's Arena

OVR: 5

The first base foot on the bag thing is my main hangup right now and its not just bad throws that are pulling them off either - good throws have done it as well and I've got the meter influence slider down to about 20. I also had a fly ball hit Nick Swisher right in the chest as he was standing there waiting for it but minor tweaks. Other than that, I'm having a lot of fun with this game.

I'm hoping that roster edits will be a bit easier to manage and it looks like the "Living Rosters" thing is going to be a huge nuisance if you want to have a realistic minor league system for franchise.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #823
Rookie

OVR: 14

Part 2 of the Season Sim:

4 Teams in the AL Playoffs (in order of seed): Yankees, Tigers, Red Sox (wildcard), Rangers

NL Playoffs: Reds, Marlins, Cubs (wild card), Rockies

No real big trades after All-Star break, so we'll go to the stats before the playoffs take place:

-AVG looks a bit more realistic than before (Bay has highest w/ .348, M. Cabrera .337, A. Callaspo .332, D. Jeter .331)
-HRs look good (Texeira 42, J. Hamilton 38, 3 w/ 37)
-RBIs also pretty good (Texeira 143, Delgado 126)
-Steals good, maybe a bit high (BJ Upton and J. Reyes 56, W. Taveras 50)
-ERA rounded out pretty well (Brandon Backe 3.07, S. Olsen 3.12, A. Harang 3.19)
-Ks nice and high (Harang 235, Peavy 232, Kazmir 223, Lincecum 220)
-Walks still might be low (Zito 119, Cain 117, D. Willis 115)
-Saves pretty low (Papelbon 29, Marmol and BJ Ryan 28, B. Jenks 25)

Now for the playoffs:

Yanks over Rangers 3-0; Red Sox over Tigers 3-2
Rockies over Reds 3-1; Cubs over Marlins 3-1

Yanks over Red Sox 4-3; Rockies over Cubs 4-2

Rockies over Yanks 4-2 (Holy Sh*t)

After the World Series they hand out all the hardware:
NL Comeback Player: PIT Steven Pearce (who?)
NL Rookie of the Year: FLA Cameron Maybin
NL Reliever of the Year: CHI Carlos Marmol
NL Cy Young: SD Chris Young (17-7, 3.41 ERA, 216 K, 229.3 innings, 1.34 WHIP)
NL MVP: FLA Hanley Ramirez (.315, slug .551, 33 HR, 99 RBI, 39 SB)

AL Comeback Player: ANA Kendry Morales
AL Rookie of the Year: CWS Chris Getz
AL Reliever of the Year: BOS Jonathan Papelbon
AL Cy Young: NYY CC Sabathia (20-9, 4.03 ERA, 202 K, 1.38 WHIP)
AL MVP: NYY Mark Texeira (.312, slg .559, 42 HR, 143 RBI)

World Series MVP: Todd Helton

They also hand out Gold Gloves, too. Not as worried about it.

Afterwards, they show who's retiring, and then give you a little rundown on how your teams finished, attendance increase/decrease, and next year's budget (which is probably flawed w/o patch).

As a quick aside, player progression seems pretty nice. While performance on the field does seem to influence it, it also isn't the only thing. Age does play an important part, too.

Ok, I think that's good enough. Any questions let me know.
Go STL Rams...please don't get Sam Bradford killed...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #824
Rookie

OVR: 2

I picked this game up last night at midnight, so a little more than 24 hours with it. I've played seven games so far and am really having a love/hate relationship.

I'm playing with the twins and was having a great time, graphics are great, pitching is fun, hitting is at times a little easy, but i'm working on adjust sliders for that. Stats seem pretty good and the presentation is really incredible.

However, I just got done playing my series finale against the White Sox, going for the sweep, well early in the game there was a single to center with a runner on first. I see that the little runner icon has the "H" on it, well I get the ball to the catcher and am thinking that it'll be an easy out. The runner comes home slides, my catcher clearly tags him out but he is called safe! Later in the game I was leading 5-1. A fly ball was hit to left, I was in position, the ball went through my fielder, and a run scored. The next at bat with two men on the batter hit a homerun and the game was tied. Then, bottom of the ninth, guy up to hit, pop up to right, ball again goes through the fielder and he gets a double. AGAIN the next at bat a single hit into center and the winning run scored!

So on three horrible plays that never should have happened I lost this game when I was dominating the whole time. I realize it was one game and it's not a huge game and i'll have 161 more games (if I make it that far) to play but simple things that games have been doing for ten years should not all of a sudden be a gamble. This is a huge game killer for me and is ruining a game that I really wanted to like, I just can't get over giving up my sixty dollars for a game that never should have been released.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »